codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

211 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

Don’t females have to grow through the slot limit size before they become big? So they can be taken then, and never have a chance to reproduce at all. Seems like we are back and forth on a slot limit vs 1@X but would be interested in what marine biologists say is the best method. 

Not a biologist myself but have a couple thoughts;

In Maine the slot was a disaster for stripers. For one, it was way too small. It made it way to easy to get meat. Thousands of anglers that never fished the salt became striper fishermen overnight. And they all got keepers. 

Then, when slot fish became impossible to find, which happened amazingly quick, all those brand new striper guys turned to the abundant 19 inch or 27 inch outside the slot fish for their meat. A whole new class of poachers were created. Striper fishing tanked in scary fast fashion (other factors played a role).

Also, everyone claims the redfish slot in Florida is such a great success but they almost always forget to mention a total moratorium on redfish and a net ban.

That's what saved the reds.

Now, it is true that Florida brought back redfish and the slot produces some big azz reds. The irony is, the average guy down there hates the slot! Everywhere we went guys bitched and whined about how impossible it was to get an eating size redfish. Pups, no problem. Even bulls if you want them, but no keepers.

Guys actually curse the bull reds for tearing up their tackle and wasting their time when they can't even keep them.

There's an awful lot we don't know and the assumptions people make are not necessarily true.

I'd rather see them jump quick to 35" as a stop gap while putting research into other options. 

1 @ 50" 

trophies only.

Makes spotting poachers easy as anyone not putting back anything that is not an obvious monster of a fish is poaching.

The vast googan poaching networks will leave completely, or you can conveniently find and arrest them off block island.

It's like gamefish status without declaring them a gamefish. 
they can change it back, or not, when catching 50" fish becomes commonplace.

Stripers grow slowly which leaves them vulnerable for too long while they are in the slot. Add to that the ease of catching a fish that size and it would head to disaster like MikeZ said above. 

22 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

So the deal is we are trying to get 17% reduction in stripedbass mortality correct? Well we only aimed for a 25% reduction of 3 year the last time. This means that we on got a 7% that if there aiming for another 17% right? Seams they should be a lot more just in case it we dont get the intened results again.
36" is the wrong choice. It’s a band aid at best. This isn’t the 80s and same solutions are not going to work, because it’s a fishery with differant problems. 36 worked in 80s cause there was no larger broadstock. So the idea was to let as many young female bass spawn as many times as possible. Pollution probably contributed to lower embryo success rates too and any larger fish that did survive would have even a harder time because of more contaminants in the body.
Fast foward it’s 2019, we still have a decent fishery plenty of small fish some medium size and a broadstock that is declining fast. Are spawning areas are also free of major pollution.
Are technological advancements in the fishing world ahead , The amount of fisherman are 10x or more what they were. Social media has shortened the learning curve and has made it easier for everyone to cause massive damages on a particular schools of fish. A slot limit is the best option. It allows the broadstock we have left repopulate at a higher rate.“a 12-pound female may produce about 850,000 eggs, and a 55-pound female about 4,200,000 eggs” significantly more with better genetics. Males start spawing at age 2 and females around 5. The females are between 22" to 28" before they spawn. All stripers over 30pds are female. There are more males in the population at smaller sizes and more females larger sizes so, a slot make the most sense. Take figues from above again and consider at minimum spawning age half fish will be male that means you can 2 times as many. Once they start spawning you take more and more females. So while the slot they have isn’t perfect it’s a start. The fisherman article the slots explains it better. I think i posted that article earlier in this thread.

You left out one very important fact, the males from the Chesapeake bay don't migrate, they stay in the bay for their entire lives. Almost All of the fish you catch in MA are females.

Very few Hudson river fish migrate past the tip of Long Island, which is why I said "almost" all of the fish you catch are females.

20 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Not a biologist myself but have a couple thoughts;

In Maine the slot was a disaster for stripers. For one, it was way too small. It made it way to easy to get meat. Thousands of anglers that never fished the salt became striper fishermen overnight. And they all got keepers. 

Then, when slot fish became impossible to find, which happened amazingly quick, all those brand new striper guys turned to the abundant 19 inch or 27 inch outside the slot fish for their meat. A whole new class of poachers were created. Striper fishing tanked in scary fast fashion (other factors played a role).

Also, everyone claims the redfish slot in Florida is such a great success but they almost always forget to mention a total moratorium on redfish and a net ban.

That's what saved the reds.

Now, it is true that Florida brought back redfish and the slot produces some big azz reds. The irony is, the average guy down there hates the slot! Everywhere we went guys bitched and whined about how impossible it was to get an eating size redfish. Pups, no problem. Even bulls if you want them, but no keepers.

Guys actually curse the bull reds for tearing up their tackle and wasting their time when they can't even keep them.

There's an awful lot we don't know and the assumptions people make are not necessarily true.

I'd rather see them jump quick to 35" as a stop gap while putting research into other options. 

That net ban ended up ruining the hard clam industry for a few years.......Disease is a northern shellfisherman's best friend....... 

9 mins ago, robc22 said:

That net ban ended up ruining the hard clam industry for a few years.......Disease is a northern shellfisherman's best friend....... 

I don't understand?

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

I don't understand?

Me neither but I assume it was some unforseen consequences from humans trying to do good.

Pretty sure the net ban worked out well for finfish. Several species recovered. Redfish is back on the menu. Unless redtide....

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

You left out one very important fact, the males from the Chesapeake bay don't migrate, they stay in the bay for their entire lives. Almost All of the fish you catch in MA are females.

Do you have a link to a study that was done on this?  It seems odd that all the bass that migrate are females. 

48 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Me neither but I assume it was some unforseen consequences from humans trying to do good.

Pretty sure the net ban worked out well for finfish. Several species recovered. Redfish is back on the menu. Unless redtide....

Happens all the time in fisheries management........The net ban put a truckload of guys out of work. To make up for it the state of florida handed out aquaculture leases to any that wanted them. 3 to 4 years later millions of hard clams are hitting the market from these leases. The boat price for hard shell tanked for years. They were crappy clams but cheap. Finally disease came along in those warm southern waters and killed all the clams. Those guys down there are growing oysters now.

I try and tell you guys a million times. There's ALWAYS unforseen consequences. That's why guys like me  are always suspicious even if it sounds like a good deal. The thing about commercial guys is we are very stubborn, We don't quit. You can hate us but we don't go away.

7 mins ago, robc22 said:

Bud.......It's like the most studied fish in the world.........

https://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/fish-facts/striped-bass

It says “males in Chesapeake Bay may forego migration.” I’ve never seen anything that says all males stay in the Bay. I find it hard to believe that all of the millions of schoolies in New England are all female. 

10 mins ago, robc22 said:

(Happens all the time in fisheries management........The net ban put a truckload of guys out of work. To make up for it the state of florida handed out aquaculture leases to any that wanted them. 3 to 4 years later millions of hard clams are hitting the market from these leases. The boat price for hard shell tanked for years. They were crappy clams but cheap. Finally disease came along in those warm southern waters and killed all the clams. Those guys down there are growing oysters now.

I try and tell you guys a million times. There's ALWAYS unforseen consequences. That's why guys like me  are always suspicious even if it sounds like a good deal. The thing about commercial guys is we are very stubborn, We don't quit. You can hate us but we don't go away.

...this is why so many guys left the RI quohog industry over the years...now, prices are good (and more open areas because of water pollution abatement) and only a small subset of existing guys are digging these days...sad story about the RI Industry

14 mins ago, robc22 said:

Happens all the time in fisheries management........The net ban put a truckload of guys out of work. To make up for it the state of florida handed out aquaculture leases to any that wanted them. 3 to 4 years later millions of hard clams are hitting the market from these leases. The boat price for hard shell tanked for years. They were crappy clams but cheap. Finally disease came along in those warm southern waters and killed all the clams. Those guys down there are growing oysters now.

And let me guess, the clams they were growing on those leases, were not clams native to the area. Hence, they had no natural resistance to local shellfish diseases.