codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

211 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

You haven't answered. How will stricter regs hurt?

You're thinking only in terms of breaking the law. The majority of us are law abiding. If the law says 28", most of us obey. When the law was 36", most of us obeyed.

The result was a drastic, huge, historical recovery. 

I believe the majority of us are not law abiding citizens when it comes to fishing regulations. I don’t believe that is really up for debate either but what do I know lol 

Now to the question. People can barely catch a keeper nowadays unless the bite is hot with keepers roaming the water like rats in cities. When the bite is slow people will do what they have to bring a meal home. I can tell you for a fact for every keeper i’ve Taken the past 3 years (every trip I caught one) a certain group of people I know personally have taken 50x that. Don’t question that number either cuz it’s definitely way over that lol

2 hours ago, TimS said:

I live in NJ and when it was 1 @ 36" there were tons of 36" plus sized fish around...in NJ...I bet there were miles more of them north of here :)

TimS

".I bet there were miles more of them north of here ":) You would be correct:)

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

I believe the majority of us are not law abiding citizens when it comes to fishing regulations. I don’t believe that is really up for debate either but what do I know lol 

Now to the question. People can barely catch a keeper nowadays unless the bite is hot with keepers roaming the water like rats in cities. When the bite is slow people will do what they have to bring a meal home. I can tell you for a fact for every keeper i’ve Taken the past 3 years (every trip I caught one) a certain group of people I know personally have taken 50x that. Don’t question that number either cuz it’s definitely way over that lol

And you did us all a favor and reported them?

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

You hang around with some real scum. 

12 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I'm real interested to hear you explain that.

You have heard what happened the last time they made stricter regulation?

His logic goes in line with, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."  Put all the restrictions you want on something it would not change what the bad people will do, ie. poachers, but just make the "normal" rec. fisher's life a little harder.  The people who will actually follow rules and play the game accordingly are not the one's to worry about.  It's the people who don't recognize societal rules/laws, and do as they please.  If someone wants to, they will find a gun even if its not meant to be in their hands according to laws.

11 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Well I'd like to know who these "groups" are that take so many fish. Not that I doubt you but I would like to know more.  I would also like to know where these fish go.

please, No generalities or my buddy said or some dishwasher from some eatery said....... 

46 mins ago, robc22 said:

Well I'd like to know who these "groups" are that take so many fish. Not that I doubt you but I would like to know more.  I would also like to know where these fish go.

please, No generalities or my buddy said or some dishwasher from some eatery said....... 

Honestly man. I’m sure they’re just being sold. I don’t think anyone eats that much fish. Just people once known my entire life in RI. Family friends or friends I use to know. Those groups that I no longer associate with. I don’t really care what people do as long as I’m not being bunched into it. It’s sucks to see but it’s not my place to say or do anything. I’m not law enforcement. 

12 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Did you report these people?  If not, why?

43 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Honestly man. I’m sure they’re just being sold. I don’t think anyone eats that much fish. Just people once known my entire life in RI. Family friends or friends I use to know. Those groups that I no longer associate with. I don’t really care what people do as long as I’m not being bunched into it. It’s sucks to see but it’s not my place to say or do anything. I’m not law enforcement. 

And here I am grinding barbs off my hooks with a Dremel to try and help more released Bass survive.

Nobody I fish with takes short fish

11 hours ago, z-man said:

You hang around with some real scum. 

Not worth debating regulations with poachers and their pals. Poachers don't follow regs anyway.

The regs are for the rest of us.

I think the 35" limit is good, but I think a slot system like Maine has or had is better - how about 1 fish @ 20-24" daily and 1 @ 45"+ for trophy catch?

16 hours ago, TimS said:

I live in NJ and when it was 1 @ 36" there were tons of 36" plus sized fish around...in NJ...I bet there were miles more of them north of here :)

TimS

I was fishing out of Montauk when it went to 1 fish @ 36 inches, we never had problems finding 36 inch fish.