codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

184 posts in this topic

How about a couple of years of NO taking of bass of any size by commercial or recreational fisherman?

The thrill should be in the fishing not in the eating. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, robc22 said:

Get rid of the rec season.....C&R for anglers......

Expand the commercial season.......Folks gotta eat!

Allow the use of gillnets to harvest bass.....If ya gonna do it might as well "Git it Dun"!

Expand the comm. season.....Oh sorry....I already send that.......

Kelvar  gear for robc22 when he speaks tonight.......:naughty:

Tomatoes incoming...:)..

Edited by rst3

It would be nice to have all the states have the same regs. Striped bass should be designated a game fish. One fish with allowed size and more enforcement just might do the trick. I'd be for upping the license fee as long as it went to more enforcement.

Gladly pay for what is precious.

3 hours ago, jps1010 said:

When 1@36" was the rule it is was nearly impossible to catch a fish that size

I live in NJ and when it was 1 @ 36" there were tons of 36" plus sized fish around...in NJ...I bet there were miles more of them north of here :)

TimS

Most people can’t catch a 28” to save their lives. IMO increasing the size isn’t going to do much. It’ll actually make things worse. Also, let’s be real. Poaching is never going away. Stricter regulations just make things worse. 

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

36 inch were not hard to find from shore at all. My logs from back then are full of them.

30-34 inch fish were filthy common. 

Exactly. They were common all the way down here in NJ, this is basically population over flow territory while MA is the heart of striper country....

9 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

... It’ll actually make things worse......Stricter regulations just make things worse. 

I'm real interested to hear you explain that.

You have heard what happened the last time they made stricter regulation?

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

If they cant get a handle on the poaching  coast wide having those regs will only make a small difference.  

Exactly. The regs seem fine, but they’re of limited use against poachers and the folks that keep fish out of water so long that they die soon after release. 

Does not matter to me...

32" 35"..18"...

They will all be caught and consumed.

There is no law.

Collusion...delusion...

Thanks Trump!:p

32 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I'm real interested to hear you explain that.

You have heard what happened the last time they made stricter regulation?

First offf I would like to say I am not for poaching lol but At 28” people are already poaching. Moving it up to 36” or whatever isn’t going to change poaching. In our day and age there are more fisherman than there were back then as well. Trust me. I know people who have been caught and banned but still poach...and it ain’t small poaching either. I’m talking 40+ shorts a trip 

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

There are no 35 inch stripers in the Chessie for most of the year.

Off hand, I am not sure what their regs are the but I believe they are under 20" which makes 0 sense to me.  Why kill the fish if they haven't even had a chance to breed.  I could be wrong, but wasn't there a moratorium and/or 1@36" in the Chesapeake?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TimS said:

I live in NJ and when it was 1 @ 36" there were tons of 36" plus sized fish around...in NJ...I bet there were miles more of them north of here :)

TimS

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post to this thread but it took some time for the new rules to take effect which is what I meant when I said there weren't any that size to be found at first.  I can say this with the upmost certainty as I fished literally 5 days a week for years and none of us caught any fish that size  Not me, my dad, his fishing buddy that fished with us regularly or any of his friends.  Once some had past an the new size limits had a chance to work, the same waters I fished that only yield rats were now yielding those 36" you are referring to. 

Edited by jps1010
Clarity

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

If they cant get a handle on the poaching  coast wide having those regs will only make a small difference.  

Poaching has always been an issue.  Lax enforcement has always been an issue.  The bass came back after the moratorium and the subsequent 1 @ 36.

37 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

First offf I would like to say I am not for poaching lol but At 28” people are already poaching. Moving it up to 36” or whatever isn’t going to change poaching. In our day and age there are more fisherman than there were back then as well. Trust me. I know people who have been caught and banned but still poach...and it ain’t small poaching either. I’m talking 40+ shorts a trip 

You haven't answered. How will stricter regs hurt?

You're thinking only in terms of breaking the law. The majority of us are law abiding. If the law says 28", most of us obey. When the law was 36", most of us obeyed.

The result was a drastic, huge, historical recovery.