codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

211 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Get a grip por favor?  We've already been down this road before. The last time it took the better part of a decade before it recovered. Now we're all supposed to tighten our belts, and do it all over again.

Why? Because our fishery managers didn't have the foresight to see this trend coming, we happily do it all over again. What do we do in the meantime, play frisbee golf?  More and more I feel like it might be time to move on.

I agree completely that the managers are idiots. I have zero faith in fisheries management. But it’s not like it was in the early 80s. They should have never changed from one fish at 36”. If they didn’t go to 34 then 32 then 28 then 2 @ 28” we would be loaded with bass. But I went last night and still hit bass on the Ma south shore and expect to catch into November. The biomass to build from is there. It’s now unfortunately going to take time to get back there. We both will have to gain faith if they do the right thing, if they fail to act for next season my opinion might change. But I won’t ever give up the game. 
The same droning doomsday opinions of the bass fishery and the state of the canal just gets tiring. Go fish somewhere else. They are there (albeit in smaller quantities)  if you look for them. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Get a grip por favor?  We've already been down this road before. The last time it took the better part of a decade before it recovered. Now we're all supposed to tighten our belts, and do it all over again.

Why? Because our fishery managers didn't have the foresight to see this trend coming, we happily do it all over again. What do we do in the meantime, play frisbee golf?  More and more I feel like it might be time to move on.

...Been at this game since 1972; from the Pigs to Vineyard to Block to Sluiceway to Chatham to PTown ,etc, etc.....etc; went to ALL the free-for-all mtgs of the late 70'searly 80's....

ASMFC stepped in with overseeing the bass fishery and lo and behold the fishery was restored. What Giggyfish stated is true in both his posts....it is not doom and gloom; the fishery will rebound because they're are too many checks and balances in the amendments to let that happen. There are plenty of SMALL fish in the pipeline and the present bag limits will allow the stocks to increase. The present day slowdown in big fish is directly due to the rec limits that were relaxed in the early 2000's....1 fish to 2 fish, drop in legal limit...pretty obvious that's where the fault lies...that and the huge increase in the recreational fishery that targets bass, be it charter, catch and release, etc., etc....game fish status??? ...be careful what you wish for...….

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yea, we're all set. No need to worry. What am I thinking? Circle hooks will save the fishery. :rolleyes:

….yeah, that, and the doomsday eel report......oh...and no gaffing of under 34" fish......

Edited by makaha

38 mins ago, makaha said:

...Been at this game since 1972; from the Pigs to Vineyard to Block to Sluiceway to Chatham to PTown ,etc, etc.....etc; went to ALL the free-for-all mtgs of the late 70'searly 80's....

ASMFC stepped in with overseeing the bass fishery and lo and behold the fishery was restored. What Giggyfish stated is true in both his posts....it is not doom and gloom; the fishery will rebound because they're are too many checks and balances in the amendments to let that happen. There are plenty of SMALL fish in the pipeline and the present bag limits will allow the stocks to increase. The present day slowdown in big fish is directly due to the rec limits that were relaxed in the early 2000's....1 fish to 2 fish, drop in legal limit...pretty obvious that's where the fault lies...that and the huge increase in the recreational fishery that targets bass, be it charter, catch and release, etc., etc....game fish status??? ...be careful what you wish for...….

You left out one major item...Poachers. How do guys that are keeping 10 fish a night fit into your overly optimistic plan. 

One thing I don't understand, and before I go any further, let me say that I practice what I preach, I haven't target striped bass for a few years now. All you guys calling for a moratorium, why not just practice what you preach? Don't fish for striped bass.  No one is making you fish for them, right? You can simply declare your own moratorium and help the species. 

Moratorium would still allow you to target Striped Bass, you just can’t keep and eat them which apparently is a problem for many fisherman who must take anything legal and eat it and if they can’t catch Striped Bass to eat because the stock is so overfished, they target other species that are more abundant to catch and eat claiming they’re doing it for conservation.

The issue isn’t targeting Striped Bass, it’s keeping and eating them. Yes, if we all stopped fishing it would certainly improve the fishery but proper C&R has a low mortality. 

Since I don’t fish to eat and fish almost exclusively from shore, there’s nothing I would want to catch other than Striped Bass or Blues so there’s no opportunity for me to target other fish. That would mean quitting fishing in the salt here.

Target Striped Bass, just don’t eat them. Pretty simple.

I agree the biomass is not in nearly the same crisis state of the 1980's. We have a foundation on which to build if the managers choose any of the options (I like the 35" min myself). I would push to buy out commercial license holders and then designate this fish as a sportfish, once and for all, like trout or deer are a publicly protected resource. We need a license system that funds enforcement- coastwide- and we need the will to enforce it. We need an education system for young anglers who get a license, like they had for Hunter's Safety way back when I got my firearms ID card in 1974. If you're going to participate, that's great, but you should understand the history and regulations. If you go to the canal and poach your going to get reported, fined, and stripped of the right to participate for the rest of the season. If you get caught again, that's it, you forfeit your gear and are banned for life. We should be 100% intolerant of this behavior. It's like looting a store in broad daylight and it erodes respect for the rule of law. But first we need money to run these programs, fund salaries and inject science into decisionmaking.  It's not all doom and gloom. I hope everyone sent in their comments to ASFMC.

We should take advantage of our numbers as a political constituency and speak with a strong, harmonious voice if we want to finally be heard. I'm all for using this forum to bitch but this energy can be expended productively in these other areas. How would YOU suggest we organize to promote common goals needed?

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

Things are rarely "simple".  Your plea for each recreational angler to release all caught striper is noble, but it would only reduce the recreational harvest numbers, not the commercial harvest, nor the biggest mortality statistic, recreational discards.  

Where I live and fish stripers are the ONLY inshore game in town besides mackerel, which doesn't qualify as fishing IMO.  I'm retired and fish just about every day late May through early October and I caught 789 bass this year with only 2 keepers.  Using the 9% mortality rule my C&R fishing "killed" 71 fish so if there is a switch to C&R only, I'll still fish like a demon and kill those 70+ fish.  Therefore for people like me, and there are many retired crazy-bass folks up here fishing every day, there's no significant difference in the amount of fish killed, moratorium or not. 

Furthermore, one has to remember that ASFMC is a "Confederation", not an absolute.  You have states in there with long-standing commercial bass industries and cultures.  Since the commercial catch is only 10% of total mortality, you're asking them to give up their "historical fishing rights" and income to fuel your recreational desires.  Short of a total collapse, a coast-wide striper C&R only provision isn't gonna happen or you'll have a second "Secessionist Movement".  There is no "Recreational Fishing C&R Only" option on the table from ASFMC, but if folks are so in favor of it, why not petition your own state to implement that?  Just be forewarned, ASFMC, along with NOAA, has the ability to re-allocate unused quotas to other states' recreational and/or commercial quotas.

Bottom line is you feel that retaining a legal striped bass is harmful to the fishery, return her to the water.  If your trying to change that to a coast-wide edict I think you're tilting at windmills...

Edited by Roccus7

53 mins ago, BarryW said:

We need a license system that funds enforcement- coastwide- and we need the will to enforce it.

Be careful what you wish for, it's gonna be a very, very expensive license to meet your "requirements"!!  Maine has 31 marine patrol positions of which 6 are currently vacant.  They're responsible for patrolling over 3400 miles of coastline, so call it 100 miles per DMR officer.  Effectively they work full-time enforcing commercial lobstering and soft-shell (steamer) clam, along with a few other minor commercial regulations, while recreational enforcement takes a place on a very far back burner.

In your proposal the price of a coast-wise striped bass license that funds its enforcement would be so expensive it would effectively be a total ban on fishing because no one could afford it.

Edited by Roccus7

On 10/19/2019 at 7:59 PM, bob_G said:

Who would enforce it? We have ample fishery laws on the books now, all carry substantial fines. Even the most egregious offenses only get a slap on the wrist, and rarely appear in the paper.

I watched people fish without licenses, keep undersize fish, and over their daily limit all summer. Often in broad daylight and in public. Nothing happens.

Amen

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Things are rarely "simple".  Your plea for each recreational angler to release all caught striper is noble, but it would only reduce the recreational harvest numbers, not the commercial harvest, nor the biggest mortality statistic, recreational discards.  

Where I live and fish stripers are the ONLY inshore game in town besides mackerel, which doesn't qualify as fishing IMO.  I'm retired and fish just about every day late May through early October and I caught 789 bass this year with only 2 keepers.  Using the 9% mortality rule my C&R fishing "killed" 71 fish so if there is a switch to C&R only, I'll still fish like a demon and kill those 70+ fish.  Therefore for people like me, and there are many retired crazy-bass folks up here fishing every day, there's no significant difference in the amount of fish killed, moratorium or not. 

Furthermore, one has to remember that ASFMC is a "Confederation", not an absolute.  You have states in there with long-standing commercial bass industries and cultures.  Since the commercial catch is only 10% of total mortality, you're asking them to give up their "historical fishing rights" and income to fuel your recreational desires.  Short of a total collapse, a coast-wide striper C&R only provision isn't gonna happen or you'll have a second "Secessionist Movement".  There is no "Recreational Fishing C&R Only" option on the table from ASFMC, but if folks are so in favor of it, why not petition your own state to implement that?  Just be forewarned, ASFMC, along with NOAA, has the ability to re-allocate unused quotas to other states' recreational and/or commercial quotas.

Bottom line is you feel that retaining a legal striped bass is harmful to the fishery, return her to the water.  If your trying to change that to a coast-wide edict I think you're tilting at windmills...

Take it easy on yourself bud......That 9% doesn't really apply if you are just fishing mostly schoolies......So have fun!.....:howdy:

Guaranteed the mortality rate is much lower if you don’t fish bait, crush all barbs, don’t take fish out of the water, don’t hold vertically or take pics, swap trebles for single hooks, properly revive fish, don’t play the fish too long. 

Mortality rate is 100% if you keep the fish so a good starting point would be to let the fish go. 

We don’t  have to stop targeting Striped Bass, making changes to how we fish will make a difference. 

6 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

Moratorium would still allow you to target Striped Bass, you just can’t keep and eat them which apparently is a problem for many fisherman who must take anything legal and eat it and if they can’t catch Striped Bass to eat because the stock is so overfished, they target other species that are more abundant to catch and eat claiming they’re doing it for conservation.

The issue isn’t targeting Striped Bass, it’s keeping and eating them. Yes, if we all stopped fishing it would certainly improve the fishery but proper C&R has a low mortality. 

Since I don’t fish to eat and fish almost exclusively from shore, there’s nothing I would want to catch other than Striped Bass or Blues so there’s no opportunity for me to target other fish. That would mean quitting fishing in the salt here.

I like to keep and eat 6-7 fish a season. I enjoy it, my family and friends enjoy it. It's much healthier than the hormone-fed protein available at the grocery store. And when I decide to keep a fish, I stop fishing at that point. There is a goal and an end point. That's the satisfaction for me. I could argue that hardcore anglers who catch and release cause just as much damage and mortality, if not more. You could even argue that that is torturing/killing an animal just for the thrill. At least I have finite goal for my quest. The C&R guy will continue until his arms are tired.