codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

184 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My fishing friend just sent me this *

Edited by TimS
Please don't post links, you can copy/paste the info relevant to you discussion but please don't post commercial links as a discussion

1 fish at 28 to 32in. Keeps recrimercial fisherman from stacking fish without blatantly poaching. There is a lot of rule benders out there that this will shut down. Keep commercial if there even is a season at the same 34in

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

I would like to see commercial season eliminated. 

1 rec fish @ 35" is a large fish to consume. Just my opinion.

But all the scientific data and striper think tank input from biologists will not amount  to a hill of beans until the obscene poaching on the canal is addressed. 

Edited by bob_G

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

I would like to see commercial season eliminated. 

1 rec fish @ 35" is a large fish to consume. Just my opinion.

Get rid of comm season.

1 fish, slotted, 28" - 35", perfect size for eating. The big mommas get to keep breeding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just a recommendation by the American Saltwater Guides Assoc, and not an official ruling by the ASMFC

23 mins ago, bdowning said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just a recommendation by the American Saltwater Guides Assoc, and not an official ruling by the ASMFC

Yes, that is one of their recommendations and one of the options the ASMFC is considering.

When 1@36" was the rule it is was nearly impossible to catch a fish that size and as a young kid, I thought fish that size were only caught from boats (sort of sounds like nowadays).  Within a few years, the waters I fished that only held 15" to 20" bass were now yielding teem sized fish regularly.  It worked last time and should work again.  However, the problem I foresee is the lax regs in the Chesapeake.  The 1 @ 35" should apply there as well.

2 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Yes, that is one of their recommendations and one of the options the ASMFC is considering.

When 1@36" was the rule it is was nearly impossible to catch a fish that size and as a young kid, I thought fish that size were only caught from boats (sort of sounds like nowadays).  Within a few years, the waters I fished that only held 15" to 20" bass were now yielding teem sized fish regularly.  It worked last time and should work again.  However, the problem I foresee is the lax regs in the Chesapeake.  The 1 @ 35" should apply there as well.

If they cant get a handle on the poaching  coast wide having those regs will only make a small difference.  

3 mins ago, jps1010 said:

36 inch were not hard to find from shore at all. My logs from back then are full of them.

30-34 inch fish were filthy common. 

I will agree that's not an ideal eating size but 36" brought them back from worse. Time stop catering to the people who just want to eat them today.

When keepers were perceived as difficult, meat fishermen sought easier targets. Serious fishermen had more room.

1 @ 35 is a good idea. Still have my 36" mark on my rods. I have been hoping to get to use them again.

Let's see where this goes. 

36 mins ago, jps1010 said:

It worked last time and should work again.  However, the problem I foresee is the lax regs in the Chesapeake.  The 1 @ 35" should apply there as well.

There are no 35 inch stripers in the Chessie for most of the year.

Edited by MakoMike

Since the recreational folks take more fish then the commercial folks what ever is worked out should apply to both users groups in a fair way to help reduce the number of fish killed and or removed from the resource.

However having said that nothing will ever change unless and until the resource sees more environmental officers enforcing the regulations and keeping the poachers at bay. THe  un quantified  total number of fish taken by poachers during the year cannot be accounted in the normal ways as those recording the  numbers from legal take and remove by both the recreational and commercial folks during the years .

Since it is the recreational fishermen who kill the greater number of fish during the year A tag system should be instituted and only allow one fish of 34 inches  to be taken and close it to any other take for three days each week and go strictly catch and release for those days. Allow the commercial there two day limit,also with a tag system in place.  but decrease the total number of fish they can take to 8 fish at 36 inches or 16 fish total for the week   .

Both recreational and commercial have the right to use this resource and what ever is voted on, it should not favor one user group over another that would totally be unfair to which ever user group it may be. 

I've never understood the logic behind "both recreational and commercial fishermen have a right to the resource" reasoning?

IMO, if a resource can no longer withstand the pressure of being commercially harvested, then the commercial season needs to end. We only have to look at the 2019 striper quota to bear witnesses to that.

Look at the once mighty cod fishery to prove my point. That fishery was considered inexhaustible.  I saw it with my own eyes when I was young.  Cod in the canal we're a nuisance at times. Then in the blink of an eye, they were gone. 

History has shown when it comes to saltwater fish,  nothing is inexhaustible. We need to protect the few stripers we have left.

Get rid of the rec season.....C&R for anglers......

Expand the commercial season.......Folks gotta eat!

Allow the use of gillnets to harvest bass.....If ya gonna do it might as well "Git it Dun"!

Expand the comm. season.....Oh sorry....I already send that.......

Kelvar  gear for robc22 when he speaks tonight.......:naughty: