gln826

Van Staal VR200 Versatility Questions

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've been fishing south shore Long Island ocean beaches with a St. Croix 10' Legend (3/4 to 4 oz) outfitted with a VS VR200 with 30 lb Power Pro braid. This set up has been useful for this for fishing these areas, but I'd like to expand in two different ways and wonder about the versatility of pairing the VR200 on both a heavier action 11 footer for Montauk (spooled with 40 lb PP), as well as a lighter action 8 footer bay rod spooled with 20 lb PP. So in effect, three set ups with one reel and three spools. 

Is this too much compromise on both ends, asking too much of the reel on the longer rod and overkill on the shorter rod? 

5 hours ago, gln826 said:

I've been fishing south shore Long Island ocean beaches with a St. Croix 10' Legend (3/4 to 4 oz) outfitted with a VS VR200 with 30 lb Power Pro braid. This set up has been useful for this for fishing these areas, but I'd like to expand in two different ways and wonder about the versatility of pairing the VR200 on both a heavier action 11 footer for Montauk (spooled with 40 lb PP), as well as a lighter action 8 footer bay rod spooled with 20 lb PP. So in effect, three set ups with one reel and three spools. 

Is this too much compromise on both ends, asking too much of the reel on the longer rod and overkill on the shorter rod? 

-Your VR200 will pair up very nicely with 40lb braid and the 11ft rod. 

-Dont pair your VR200 with 20lb braid on an 8 footer. 

With the 8ft rod, I would drop down to a VR125, or a VR150 if the 125 hits your knuckles during the retrieve.  Your best off going to a B&T that has both and trying them on your 8ft rod. I personally only own the VR175 and VR200, but use a VS150 on my 8 and 9ft rods.  Unfortunately, I could not find data on the reel stem height of the VR series.  Might be worth a call to VS to ask them the question.

As the owner of a VR 200, it's just fine on an 11' and mine fishes MTK all the time. It's a monster on an 8' rod as others have suggested. VR 50 for that application.

BnickW is right about the body being the same for 125-200. I started with the 175 then wanted to go smaller so i bought the rotor/spool for the 125. The vr 50 would be better on a 8’ 

1 hour ago, BNickW said:

150 and 125 are the same size body and rotor. They will both hit your knucks if you got big mits. I’d even go down to a 50 on an 8’.

got my vr50 on my edge 11 footer 1/2 - 3  and well balance feels like you're carrying a salmon rod