dannyplug1

KAYAK TRAILER QUESTION

9 posts in this topic

I have kayaked for a long time.  I finally purchased a trailer about 10 years ago and have my hobie out back on it ready to go.  Unfortunately it is a single.  Next year I would like to take my wife or my fishing buddies kayaking with me.  Is there a way to change a single kayak carrier to a double?  And if you make it a double will you make it unstable if you are only carrying only one boat?  I thought about getting a double like a big tuna from Jackson but wonder if having two people in close corners would lead to divorce and or hooks in the ear.  Be interested in any opinions in regard to y situation.  thanks charlie

Danny, I’d say take a look at pictures of doubles and there will be multiple different styles you’ll find. Then picture yours with some of those features. Like everything else, if the dollar exists and the mechanical skills anything is possible. 

If its not wide enough for 2, shouldn't it be easy enough to add another deck? Basically like a car rack like 15" above the 1st boat. I can't imagine that would compromise the stability of the trailer.

Right-on-Multi-Rack_grande.jpg?v=1519398

Or add a couple of vertical pillars down the middle of the trailer and stack them on their sides, I used to easily put 4 whitewater boats on my cartop rack that way.

520-1-kayaks-l.jpg

My wife doesn't make me go shoe shopping with her. In turn, I do not make her go kayak fishing with me.

My buddy shows up with his own kayak. 

You do know about the two worlds right?   

7AFF35EB-A938-4CED-B342-48C429B9CB9F.jpeg

I've done about as much tinkering with trailers as one could do- If you are bored and have nothing else to do, have a gander at me spending too much time and money in the pursuit of kayaking happiness. 

8 hours ago, robmedina said:

I've done about as much tinkering with trailers as one could do- If you are bored and have nothing else to do, have a gander at me spending too much time and money in the pursuit of kayaking happiness. 

Pretty cool Rob. One thing I can say structurally, I'd have put "X" struts on the sides for the uprights. Every time you brake the top boat is going forward, and torquing the whole upright and lower crossbar structure. An opportunity for failure, especially of the welds at the bottom of the uprights. I'd have put angle trusses on those bottom welds too for side to side support. I just don't trust those welds for the loads.