ZATsol

Weekend of 10/19/19, where to go north east?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have long weekend coming October 19. Trying to decide where to go. Options are Montauk, NY and Barnegat Light, NJ. Where will you suggest going? I will be happy to catch anything on fly rod from shore. And I will have my SUP with me as well.

Thanks!

Cattaraugus in WNY for steelhead.Fish a lake or river for pike,muskie or bass.

I used to drive out to fish the coast 50-60 days/yr,not worth the drive anymore...

This should be prime time on the coast right now.Got a buddy out on M right now w/ no fish to show for the week,even from a boat.

Edited by slip n slide

There are a ton of options for you out in Montauk especially with the SUP, the only issue this time of year is you might be hit with a storm where it's blowing NE at 30+ kts. If you don't know the area well it would be useful to do some scouting on Google Earth and consider booking a guide. If you read the local surf and fly-guide reports from this week, it's hard to not head out there right now!

16 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Cattaraugus in WNY for steelhead.Fish a lake or river for pike,muskie or bass.

I used to drive out to fish the coast 50-60 days/yr,not worth the drive anymore...

This should be prime time on the coast right now.Got a buddy out on M right now w/ no fish to show for the week,even from a boat.

No fish on long island...

20190927_070549.jpg

5 hours ago, catchnr3lease said:

No fish on long island...

20190927_070549.jpg

means nothing,go out and come back and tell us about all the big fish you caught,blitzing schoolies don't count

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

means nothing,go out and come back and tell us about all the big fish you caught,blitzing schoolies don't count

Was plenty of legal fish mixed in thanks, and you are the one that stated your buddy hasn't caught a fish in a week from a boat. Sounds bad. Wasnt bragging of it

Fishing is spotty all over I think.. Montauk has been poor from shore for a few years now.

Even in failing fisheries there can be odd pockets of good fishing until it suddenly collapses.

All you can do is make a call and hope for the best.

Me and slip n slide love Montauk and still do love the town and it’s good people   

but the quality of the fishing fell so badly we stopped coming a few years ago.

It is a 3000 mile journey for me. If I was more local I would still try.

Montauk in the fall months needs Fishers to contribute to its economy.

I used to love seeing all the pick ups moving through town with rods heading for the various beaches and the point. Hard to imagine that not happening much anymore.

mike

I would say no to NJ, I fish IBSP and that area and it's not going to be the hot spot. 

I will be In RI that week, so you know i  am not expecting anything in nj. 

Edited by crazybellringer

On 10/4/2019 at 4:42 AM, slip n slide said:

A friend of mine trailered his boat five hours to Montauk this past week - he said most of those ‘blitzes’ were 15”-22” babies...they aspire to one day be ‘schoolies’ ;)

TimS 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:44 AM, catchnr3lease said:

Was plenty of legal fish mixed in thanks

Legal sized bass can still be schoolies - you can both be correct :)

TimS

On 10/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, crazybellringer said:

I would say no to NJ, I fish IBSP and that area and it's not going to be the hot spot. 

I will be In RI that week, so you know i  am not expecting anything in nj. 

Yeah, what he said.  You go to Barnegat after eating the annual Turkey dinner.  Not for the annual "Christopher Columbus - sketchy navigator" celebration.

17 mins ago, TimS said:

A friend of mine trailered his boat five hours to Montauk this past week - he said most of those ‘blitzes’ were 15”-22” babies...they aspire to one day be ‘schoolies’ ;)

TimS 

as I recall, schoolies used to refer to 26-34" ....now it's 16-24"

On 10/3/2019 at 5:29 AM, slip n slide said:

Yeah, a friend of mine is out there running charters.  He's getting some shots of albies, but certainly isn't blowing up my phone or his social media feed with "epic" reports or pics... and if it was good, he would be.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

as I recall, schoolies used to refer to 26-34" ....now it's 16-24"

Nice to know I'm not the only one who remembers those days - polaroid pictures, no cell phones, work for your fish, no headlights on the beach (need I go on?)

1981 Striper.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

As I also recall, 30 inch plus fish were bragging fish. 16 " inch used to be almost considered bait! 

Some old guy told me a long time ago, "that it get's no better than this, enjoy the moment and everything else is memories "

This gentlemen was talking to me thirty years ago and referencing his fly fishing escapades

back in the fifties of fishing  in places that are now buried under condo's and blacktop.

Regards,

FT