coastalfreak

Weird Things You’ve Caught

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Caught a water skier once while trolling for trout. He was warned about not coming so close behind the boat but didn’t listen. He spooled  me, and worst of all wouldn’t give my streamer back.

My first trip on the Viking starship I caught a swallowtail bass in the Hydrographer. Had no clue what it was. Also caught my first barrelfish and wreckfish on that trip. 

2 hours ago, wrboz said:

Caught a water skier once while trolling for trout. He was warned about not coming so close behind the boat but didn’t listen. He spooled  me, and worst of all wouldn’t give my streamer back.

Pretty much the same as catching a surfer here on the coast.  They do fight like hell, but they taste like chit.

1 min ago, CharlieK said:

Pretty much the same as catching a surfer here on the coast.  They do fight like hell, but they taste like chit.

Yankee Tarpon! :howdy:

An ocean sunfish (Mola mola).

Was shark fishing in 20 fathoms south of Fire Island one August.  It was a choppy day, and the fish hit a mackerel on my far float line hard enough to throw white water (don't ask me how the fish accellerates like that when it has no tail to speak of).  I got a glimpse of gray, and the way it was fighting, I thought we had a tail-wrapped thresher.  And given that we had the thing on a 20, visions of a line-class record were flowing through my head.

I maneuvered on the fish, which just stayed deep and kept swimming maybe 200 feet one way, then turning around and swimming 200 feet in the other, while my friend was on the rod.  The swivel finally came up, and I was wondering how we were going to take the fish, because I didn't even have a flying gaff on board--we were expecting small makos and blue sharks, and planned to tag and release everything that day.  So as the swivel came closer to the boat, I threw the engines into neutral, draped a tailrope around my neck and put on my gloves, then walked toward the bow to take the wire.

A third guy on the boat was watching the water, and then called back "You don't need the tail rope."

That seemed strange, but when I asked why, he added "It doesn't have a tail!"

Now I was really confused, until I stepped up next to the angler and looiked down into the water to see a sunfish, with its beady black eye looking balefully back at me.  I grabbed the leader, and soon the cylindrical critter, which prbably weighed about 500 pounds, was sinking back beneath the surface, still looking disdainfully at the puny humans who interrupted its lunch.

Funny you ask this. Just now got back from fishing a local pond. Star Fort Pond. Walking around the edge I see a snake poking his head up. Reeling in the sluggo and go to lift it, the snake strikes at it. I'm thinking what the hell. Flick the sluggo back out and bring it by the snake again and direct hit this time. I'm thinking maybe a banded water snake, but as I lift him a little higher I can see its not a water snake, but a copperhead. Raise a bit higher and the snake starts doing his S groove. Going for my phone to get a picture, I can see the fang on the left side stuck in the sluggo. Just a second after that, the snake drops off and heads under the rocks, and I head on around. About the snakiest pond I've ever fished, though this was the first copperhead I've ran up on over there.

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

quasimodo.jpeg.e01e3c812c94965383b5bde1474c8980.jpeg

Also once had an osprey dive & pick up my popper.  Unhooking that was an adventure

Did it have that shape before you dragged it through the sand? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was fishing with a friend one night at a local inlet . He was drifting an eel out in the rip and felt something “ bump” his eel. He reeled in and we couldn’t believe what grabbed his bait- an adult menhaden! The 5/0 hook was set firmly in his mouth. Very strange ???

Edited by VanStaalSteve

24 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Did it have that shape before you dragged it through the sand? 

I knew someone would step in and play internet tough guy!  Look dude, I have no moral qualms with how I handle fish.  This was was weird as **** so yea, it briefly flopped around in the sand while I snapped a pic.  Find a better use for your time. 

Just now, sbcbmx112 said:

I knew someone would step in and play internet tough guy!  Look dude, I have no moral qualms with how I handle fish.  This was was weird as **** so yea, it briefly flopped around in the sand while I snapped a pic.  Find a better use for your time. 

Pump your brake, man. I’m just busting your balls.