saltfisherman

Red tide

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Well it looks like red tide is back. Collier county beaches from Barefoot and south have dead mullet wash up. 

Just when you hope this winter you might be able to keep fish with sheepshead starting to show up in numbers. 

This is truly disappointing,after the break down of the stripe bass population,now my bail out area, winter snook fishing in FL,  is being screwed up by mother nature. Can't catch a break.

I'll be in the Sanibel area next week...I usually venture down to Bonita Beach, Barefoot Beach, and Lover's Key, but maybe I'll avoid that area.  Hopefully the damage isn't too widespread and clears up quickly.

Keep us updated on the progress of the newest red tide, guys. Many of us are planning trips, etc.

It's very discouraging to read that, once again this October, you're seeing yet another red tide.

Guys, I haven’t been out in weeks. Last time out my right leg had a rash for 4 days. It makes you pretty discouraged to say the least. So my weekends have been other items, running around and not fishing. 

Levels are high enough Collier co has said, basically use caution. Which is better than last year, it’s safe, enjoy, go in. People are reporting coughing and problems breathing. 

I’m on the Collier County beaches pretty much everyday, either working, or fishing. Fished lastThursday and Friday, beautiful clear water, baitfish everywhere, redfish in the surf, dolphins swimming by, blue runners blitzing everywhere. etc etc. Caught 6 specials on Thursday, 5 on Friday. First hint of red tide was on Saturday, when some people were coughing a little bit in the afternoon. If you aren’t sensitive to it, you wouldn’t have noticed it. I went to the beach on Sunday, as a regular beachgoer, and was in the water all day, never coughed or smelled anything. Saw the typical kingfish, lots of pilchards, big redfish swim happily by. Son and I caught Tarpon in the bays. Monday had CPR class, so didn’t see beach. Yesterday and today, water looked absolutely beautiful, with isolated patches of a few dead mullet. Mullet have been the only species that I have seen wash up, and only a few. No smell. Beaches were relatively empty, news seemed to have scared the people away, which is a shame, because it was beautiful where I was. 

This guy does a beach walk video almost everyday, you can go back and watch the last few days. I’m in a bunch of videos, but not the last few days. Here’s today’s video:

Outside of West windy days.  The water where I am has been spectacular all summer till now.  Gin clear, tons of life.    What a 7 months made.

I hope that this is the only one for the rest of the year. Last years double hit was bad. Fourteen days of fishing of beach in December and January landed my 5 catfish and one small pompano. I was the only clown fishing but still better then twenty below temperatures at home.

17 hours ago, Stuu said:

I’m on the Collier County beaches pretty much everyday, either working, or fishing. Fished lastThursday and Friday, beautiful clear water, baitfish everywhere, redfish in the surf, dolphins swimming by, blue runners blitzing everywhere. etc etc. Caught 6 specials on Thursday, 5 on Friday. First hint of red tide was on Saturday, when some people were coughing a little bit in the afternoon. If you aren’t sensitive to it, you wouldn’t have noticed it. I went to the beach on Sunday, as a regular beachgoer, and was in the water all day, never coughed or smelled anything. Saw the typical kingfish, lots of pilchards, big redfish swim happily by. Son and I caught Tarpon in the bays. Monday had CPR class, so didn’t see beach. Yesterday and today, water looked absolutely beautiful, with isolated patches of a few dead mullet. Mullet have been the only species that I have seen wash up, and only a few. No smell. Beaches were relatively empty, news seemed to have scared the people away, which is a shame, because it was beautiful where I was. 

Naples, here....and EXACTLY what Stu said ^^^

3 hours ago, quest450 said:

Well seems like the OP is overly dramatic again.....12 years !!!

Sorry, I don't think saltwaterfisherman is being "overly dramatic again". He lives in the area. Is a daily fisherman and experienced the last double digit red tide at Bonita which was horrible as to fish kill, beachgoers respiratory irritation. I was there. He stayed off the water, loving daily fishing, because of it, for MONTHS!  He informed us and was correct as to the fish kill. We appreciate his updates, those of us who vacation there, thank him for his reports, and wonder why you, quest450, would say such a thing about a fellow SOL fisherman whose only concern regarding Bonita red tide, would seem "dramatic", to YOU?

Were you there when those of us fishermen (and beachgoers) in the areas of  Bonita, Sanibel, Barefoot Beach, Naples were coughing throughout the entire winter month we fished or tried to fish those beaches with maybe two fish caught in a month from shore? Probably not. Red tide on the above mentioned stretches of beaches in S/W Florida is a serious event. Last year, the year before, it stretched from Sanibel all the way to Marco. Mega fish kills, etc. If you weren't there, you probably don't realize the seriousness of this. There were MILES of heaped up dead washed in fish who couldn't survive the red tide and whatever it did to their breathing, etc. I think you've been very negative as to the OP, "saltwaterfisherman" s updates. We appreciate them but if you're not fishing the area, (do you?), most likely you can just say he's "being dramatic again". Not to be.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, saltfisherman said:

Guys, I haven’t been out in weeks. Last time out my right leg had a rash for 4 days. It makes you pretty discouraged to say the least. So my weekends have been other items,

On 10/2/2019 at 8:01 PM, Stuu said:

I’m on the Collier County beaches pretty much everyday, No smell. Beaches were relatively empty, it was beautiful where I was. 

7 hours ago, Mauru said:

Naples, here....and EXACTLY what Stu said ^^^

pay attention flysully, I think you and the OP have an agenda and instead of whining and creating drama pickup your rod and go fishing....it does you good :th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't know, tend to believe you gotta get out and go and see for yourself.

Barefoot beach and seagate.

Loop5d97a5ead92aa_Screenshot_20191004-155917_SamsungInternet.jpg.6a15d784d1d90dbc3277152c14ba2f4d.jpg

Screenshot_20191004-160042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by beatonem