Rlan401

Seasonal Reminder

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I was out this morning about that time on Newport’s Ocean Drive.  Talking with a fellow surfcaster I mentioned that with this flood moon tide and big sea  it was a potential deadly combination for surf fishermen. Then I get home and read about this.

The surf and water levels were up last pm,  bigger waves would roll through every few sets.  I was thinking, as i was getting tired, that someone not paying attention or who didnt watch a few sets was easily going to get caught by surprise.  I forced myself back a rock or 2 as noticed the waves starting to make my rock perches islands.  Never let your guard down near the ocean.  That's a shame.

Ditto for me on Sunday night. That water quietly flooding in back of you and then one extra big wave will take you right off your feet if you don't look occasionally. Need constant 360 degree vision on these big moon tides. :(

I’ve never liked korkers. I grew up fishing without them and have gotten used to making my way without studs. I tried them for a little while and find myself tripping more with them on as I don’t account for the extra quarter inch of studs unless I’m consciously thinking about it.

that being said. I always wear them at pretty much every non-sand RI spot. The jetties, cliffs and boulders with waves mixed in is a deadly combo and korkers help a lot.

be careful out there

pescador,

I've seen folks use hiking boots and put a few metal screw in them.  You can also try those overboot ice cleats too.  

Seen folks use wading boots without waders as an option too.  

Korkers aren't the only way.......

A guy in point pleasant died 1 day after I was in the same spot in september...  with my korkers on...

I really like atlantic city's solution.  Just throw conrete between the rocks.  But, they got more money to play with than other coastal spots......

Edited by salt deficient

On 10/1/2019 at 7:46 PM, Backroads said:

It still baffles me when I find someone on the rocks in plain boots or sneakers. Sorry to read this tonight. 

I saw someone fishing on a black algae slick rock this am in bare feet. :kook:

14 mins ago, bdowning said:

I saw someone fishing on a black algae slick rock this am in bare feet. :kook:

Last time I was out on that wicked long jetty I saw two different guys fishing in bare feet.

One walked out there in bare feet, the other walked out in flipflops then fished bare foot.

Special kinda stupid.

13 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Last time I was out on that wicked long jetty I saw two different guys fishing in bare feet.

One walked out there in bare feet, the other walked out in flipflops then fished bare foot.

Special kinda stupid.

Had a guy at a well known eastern facing rock ledge in SoCo go in the drink just as dark fell wearing those all rubber "Duck Boots".  He spoken very broken English(bucket fishing with his wife 10' back from him); when he said he saw my outline off to his right way down on the water edge so he figured he would get closer down towards the water-line. Little did he know after he took two steps forward and put all his weight into his rear leg while making a cast that his legs were taken out from underneath him. Thus resulting in a man that couldnt swim being rescued by myself who if i hadn't dropped my rod/reel after my retrieve, to full sprint along the ledge drop he would've drowned.  Outgoing tide ripping off the point i was fishing just to his south and if i happened to be 1-2 steps short of making it to him it would've been all over for the poor guy....He luckily stayed above water long enough to swing an arm backwards which found its place in my hand and I pulled him back onto the ledge and I've never seen the look of pure and utter fear like I saw on that mans face after sliding him back up onto the rock.  After explaining to him the boots(Korker K5 Bombers w/ studded soles) were meant for that i was wearing he explained that he wouldn't ever again come back without a pair of them and a self inflating PFD.  Sure enough 2-3 weeks pass I found myself repeating the same process except with a gentlemen who could swim (if that's what he'd call it).  But people really under estimate the power and true danger that the waters around our watersheds can pose if taken lightly....

I have warned multiple families that are venturing to close to the edge on Ganset rocks in big swells with kids.  Even had a few tell me to "Mind my own business".     Thats when you type "9-1" in your phone and get ready to make the call.  There are many spots that you cannot go save someone if they go in, even in a wetsuit.

48 mins ago, Kooky said:

I have warned multiple families that are venturing to close to the edge on Ganset rocks in big swells with kids.  Even had a few tell me to "Mind my own business".     Thats when you type "9-1" in your phone and get ready to make the call.  There are many spots that you cannot go save someone if they go in, even in a wetsuit.

I'll be out there creepin' in the seal suit :naughty:. But i hear you...many need that hard lesson and butt-puckering moment to then realize the force behind some of that H2o.

Yep, at 8 pounds a gallon water can pack a wallop when a big wave hits you. Plus, the water can lift you up from where you’re standing or sitting. I’m a very good swimmer, but that’s not going to help me if I smack my head on a rock, or bust up an arm or a leg going in. I hate jetties.

14 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Yep, at 8 pounds a gallon water can pack a wallop when a big wave hits you. Plus, the water can lift you up from where you’re standing or sitting. I’m a very good swimmer, but that’s not going to help me if I smack my head on a rock, or bust up an arm or a leg going in. I hate jetties.

Fishing a jetty on big surf days is just a death wish waiting to happen. Only things I will fish are rocky fronts, sand, and or a ledge line thats somewhat protected by whichever the surf break may be directed into. Other than that I can easily say I've probably fished a jetty once this entire season due to not needing to get out on one at all. I hate the consistent need to find a comfortable spot to post up onto when I could be on something soft or somewhat stable platform and be able to fish twice as hard and long without feeling like I need a wheelchair the next day.