FishinDVM

Bait Acquisition and Identification

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Ok... so I have three quesions. The first would be, what type of baitfish are these guys? Are they atlantic herring or shad, as I have heard some differences of opinion??? The next question I have is, what is the best way of catching them other than snagging? Im guessing very light line and some micro 1/8oz jigs, tiny teasers, or sabikis? And... finally... assuming they are present and there are schools nearby, can they be caught in the dark of night this way? I ask because I normally chunk a lot of fresh bunker, but want to free line or chunk some of these guys. If they can be caught at night, ill try while there for real fishing purposes... but if im more likely to only hook them during the day, ill have to ice them for later. Thanks, Chris 

40123.jpeg

40125.jpeg

Hickory shad. I catch them a lot all fall in the cooler days on tins. Good fighter, Like a "poor mans tarpon" if you get a good sized one. I normally have only seen them at first light but that's just me. They seem to come in and leave quickly.

Agreed with throwin.. you can always count on shad to school up late September early October.

3 weeks ago the dolphins had them schooled up against the rocks and I was on with every cast of 3/4 deadly dick and hand tied teaser... getting two-fers as well.

As Throwin mentioned, they jump like tarpon and have paper thin mouths that tear off the hook easy making them somewhat challenging to land.

Can't say anyone every goes out to target shad, you just realize they are present and thick.

I personally keep a bunch and freeze for any last minute unplanned evening striper dead sticking.

Yeah I know frozen is junk ...bla bla...  but I've had good luck using frozen shad chunks as bait, just use elasticated thread to keep them on the hook.

Nothing beats fresh or semi fresh... but when I get the last minute itch and the local B&T is closed with no snagging opportunity in sight, I pull em out.

Yes they can be caught at night. I remember one night many moons ago I had ‘em every cast on the flyrod. They were stacked up in a nearshore rip. 

Yea I did catch 1 few weeks ago on the ocean front.  It was a big one, tried to eat a 6”grub tail.  Usually they seem to move around the bays at night especially love lighted areas- like most bait fish.  

Have done very well targeting them for bait purposes using small jigheads & 3” sluggos among other artificals on light spin tackle.  Caught many at night especially around lights.  Very good bait.  I know at least one person that went so far as putting a live well in their truck to bring them to more productive spots to live line.

Really anything small . They not fussy . It’s more about the jigging action .. they love it on the drop .. have had fun with casting egg and teaser with them too.. fav way is small deadly dick vertical jigged are night around the lights on piers .. 6lbs mono , 20lbs leader light rod and reel .. fun in hard current 

44 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Miss the day’s you could live line  a Shad and get slammed at basin .. 

And still no lights.

Used to get big bass weakies and occasionally albies come in for the ton of herring that would be attracted to the lights.

We did get 3 fine Cuomo memorials for our money though.