UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

Hit moco out back again this morning, water was clean to my surprise. Has a couple small blues and a just short of keeping size bass. All on top again. Will hit it again in the AM. 

Boy was the wind cranking this morning.  It felt more like November than october with 47 degrees and 20mph winds.  

After moving around managed to get dialed into bluefish on topwater for a couple hours.  
no stripes but they count.  

Was a bit of a slow start this morning with the wind blowing more N then NE but great looking water was found at first light.  Never did see a lot of mullet around just a few pods swimming by with nothing giving them a hard time.  The pattern this week has been a later morning bite and this morning worked out the same way.  Picked one small fish early and then around 8am the action started to pick up.  Finished out with 6 stripes up to 27 inches and 4 blues.  The blues were spitting up some larger mullet then I've seen in the wash line.  NNE wind did the trick again.  Might be able to give it another look this evening.

DSCF2819.JPG

DSCF2821.JPG

Fished OC for a couple hours this morning.  Wind was really cranking is right but was still able to get the plug to where it needed to be.  Got a nice 26" bass on the second cast and had a few other hits after that.  All right in close.  Caught a bird too.  That was super fun trying to untangle it.  Thankfully it wasn't one of the bigger gulls. 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:59 AM, kurazy kracka said:

that poor poor woman...

The night before our wedding my mother actually asked her if she was sure she wanted to marry me because she couldnt bring me back ,lol...

12 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Nice running around today with the boys. Got into blues and my little boy had a blast. Did manage a stripe early. Mullet still heavy and on the move.

20191005_132743.jpg

20191005_094917.jpg

20191005_064012.jpg

That was a fun little bite we had ... It was cold walking to the water in shorts but nice once I was in it . Time to pack the waders and dry top...I guess the fall fishing style started just trying to delay it as long as possible ..

7 mins ago, Qwik said:

That was a fun little bite we had ... It was cold walking to the water in shorts but nice once I was in it . Time to pack the waders and dry top...I guess the fall fishing style started just trying to delay it as long as possible ..

Yeah man that was cool. The tampon lure was the best!!

18 mins ago, Qwik said:

Yes it was fun. I was on it earlier. And youre nuts shorts.  It was freezing out 

Tried multiple spots out back than out front. Had 2 blues come unbuttoned outfront. Nice cool air temps. Other than that, pretty dissapointing morning. Wind still stiff, not as bad as yesterday. Good news is, my last cast was about 2 n the water really started to lay down and cleanup. Maybe tmrw. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

IMG_0649.MOV

Monmouth County beach. ran into a massive load of mullet. jumping like mad for who knows why. Matched the hatch with my 8 weight. no luck, nor did a spin guy standing near me. no hook ups.

have no idea if this video will upload or not but its kind of cool.

Looks like micro bluefish feeding on mullet to me.

Edited by DaveC

Was out front this morning 5-8 am Moco. The wind made it necessary to break out the heavier metals, plastics, and bucktails but the water looked clean, perfect actually. Picked a likely spot next to a jetty with bait present. Not a touch. Didn’t see anyone else hook up either. 

For me, with over an hour drive each way and too many kids’ obligations on weekends, I just don’t think it’s worth fishing the Jersey surf any more.  Ten years ago, it was worth being exhausted all weekend; I was excited to fish and had plenty of success as a weekend warrior. These days, it just seems like a waste of time.  Way too hot or miss, with way too many “misses” for someone who can only get out occasionally. 

5 hours ago, MC55 said:

Was a bit of a slow start this morning with the wind blowing more N then NE but great looking water was found at first light.  Never did see a lot of mullet around just a few pods swimming by with nothing giving them a hard time.  The pattern this week has been a later morning bite and this morning worked out the same way.  Picked one small fish early and then around 8am the action started to pick up.  Finished out with 6 stripes up to 27 inches and 4 blues.  The blues were spitting up some larger mullet then I've seen in the wash line.  NNE wind did the trick again.  Might be able to give it another look this evening.

DSCF2819.JPG

DSCF2821.JPG

Nice job, Mike.

I'm not sure its only a late morning bite. Seems like it's also a low tide bite. I was down mid afternoon, both yesterday and today, at high water. Great looking water, but only a blue yesterday and an out of season fluke today. Couple of other guys out and nothing much to show for it. 

I'm going to make an effort to get down on the low tide tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Squeezed out for an hour this afternoon and hit the surf real quick before dark. Absolutely nothing going on! No bait visible no birds around nothing. Water was a little stained but surprisingly clean and fishy looking. Wind was about 10 from the east and not to big of an issue.