UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, Eric_S said:

I guess you're still in the area! Let's do some night fishing on my boat. And you can show me what the fish have been hitting from my dock. 

Yup . . .in LB now . . . let's do it!  The other river holding some better fish.

Finally took a day off from work and went out at sun up. Guy walking off the beach told me he had nothing but saw a dolphin. Pretty quickly, I got my first jetty striper swinging a bucktail by the rocks. Saw that dolphin swim by not too long after. Hopped along a few jetties and managed two schoolies and a pretty decent stargazer! I felt a bump, then another and then... I thought I caught a rock... until I tried to free it and pulled that sucker in. First one I saw in person and they are a scary looking fish. Saw a washed up bunker by the beach and what I think may have been someone's koi being picked at by the gulls? Went out to eat and run some errands but got back out just before noon. The wind was howling and I called it early. Did see gulls look like they were circling something but they headed south of me and I was too tired to run. Might go back out tonight if the wind calms down a bit. 

9FAFB1C9-9EC8-4353-AB49-BC7264A297AA.jpeg

25673E52-52A3-4780-963E-98EC257C59F7.jpeg

Quick trip early afternoon, out front. Wind hawking, but surf is clearer than this morning. One cocktail blue. Wind going NNE tonight and ENE tomorrow. Should be good conditions in the a.m., albeit a lot colder!

So I guess they had their fill yesterday cause they sure weren't hungry this morning.  Found a few pods of mullet but they were all just happily swimming along.  Surf was in good shape after the big winds and water of yesterday.  Happy to see the wind shifting back to NE later tonight.  Forecast calls for it to stay below 15mph which should be perfect.  If the mullet hangs around it could be another fun morning. 

did AC/Brig from 11am to 1, no bites, but a lot of dirty and trashy water.  Hopefully, it clears out by tonight/tomorrow am.

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

So I guess they had their fill yesterday cause they sure weren't hungry this morning.  Found a few pods of mullet but they were all just happily swimming along.  Surf was in good shape after the big winds and water of yesterday.  Happy to see the wind shifting back to NE later tonight.  Forecast calls for it to stay below 15mph which should be perfect.  If the mullet hangs around it could be another fun morning. 

I'm looking forward to it Mike. This time I will targeting Mr. Striper. Atleast it will be much easier than Thursday to work a lure. Good Luck.

Better sized Blues (8+lbs)decided to chase the bait south along the beaches this afternoon in MoCo . Also some small bass mixed in . Luckily they were right in the wash and hit metal because the wind was limiting casting distance and plug options . 

IMG_0649.MOV

Monmouth County beach. ran into a massive load of mullet. jumping like mad for who knows why. Matched the hatch with my 8 weight. no luck, nor did a spin guy standing near me. no hook ups.

have no idea if this video will upload or not but its kind of cool.

1 hour ago, jerseystriper said:

IMG_0649.MOV

Monmouth County beach. ran into a massive load of mullet. jumping like mad for who knows why. Matched the hatch with my 8 weight. no luck, nor did a spin guy standing near me. no hook ups.

have no idea if this video will upload or not but its kind of cool.

Tons of bait for a few fish....I once got a few fish with a Hoo Fly in electric chicken colors. Got real lucky :D Good video 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had a one hr window this morning to make it happen. Broke out the waders for the first time this fall. By the time I got dialed into the conditions and took care of a wind knot issue thats been haunting me as of late it was pretty much time to leave. Got one mid 20s and a sunrise out of the deal. Inches that is. Was it worth it? I think so!

Edited by adams54

Out front Moco this morning 5:45-8:00. North East wind and choppy but very fishable. 9 blues, all between 14-20”. Bait everywhere and birds working. All released quickly and safely. Caught on Sp minnow and deadly dick. Very fun morning and I’m happy that I woke up for it. Still waiting on the stripe guys

1F2239AC-C1C4-47E2-A524-859B216C259D.jpeg