UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Been hearing a lot of conflicting ideas lately mostly coming from the new regs. Most people are saying that the younger fish make up a majority of the breeding stock and it would be better to keep the younger generation alive. So much conflicting information. 

I'm not an expert in this subject, but too many of a specific size class in not good since these things breed at different rates, if you cull too many of the same size will result in fewer fish some years. Fisheries management is a tough business- no way to get accurate counts of these fish and i think our smoke and mirrors management is influenced by things not swimming in the ocean.

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Good. They are getting on with the business of eliminating the breeders. No sense in prolonging this and giving us false hope. 

I know!  Pisses me off but unless they change the regs, not much we can do.  :banghd:

What's more surprising, however, is that big numbers of giant bass are now showing up this time of year when they haven't done so in the last decade or so.   Were these the ones that used to take the offshore route south but this time are being drawn in closer to shore due to the massive amount of bunker and other baits?

Edited by GeoffT

So, if the large were crashing the beach ( think back to bass blitzing bunker in June like they used to) what would u do?   Lots of big fish were taken out of circulation by surf anglers during those years and I don't recall a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over that.....

4 mins ago, GeoffT said:

I know!  Pisses me off but unless they change the regs, not much we can do.  :banghd:

What's more surprising, however, is that big numbers of giant bass are now showing up this time of year when they haven't done so in the last decade or so.   Were these the ones that used to take the offshore route south but this time are being drawn in closer to shore due to the massive amount of bunker and other baits?

They are changing the regs, and will most likely be just a larger minimum size which doesn't change taking large fish. 

22 mins ago, JimK said:

So, if the large were crashing the beach ( think back to bass blitzing bunker in June like they used to) what would u do?   Lots of big fish were taken out of circulation by surf anglers during those years and I don't recall a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over that.....

Don't know if you were addressing me, but its a fair question. Over the years I've caught a lot of good sized bass. I've only kept two over 30 lbs (one at 32 and one at 37). Aside from one or two bass a year for the table (generally 28-32 inches) I release everything.  That's my preference. I'd be happy keeping a couple each year between 24-28 inches. Better tasting. If a blitz happened now I'd release every fish, unless it was really gut hooked and bleeding. Again, my preference. With today's cell phones you can take good quality shots of your catches, then release them.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, JimK said:

I remember those good old' days.  Just a memory now :cry:

I kept only one large bass (a 48.3 lber) back in those days.  And it was so I could enter it into the Striper Cup (it won the largest surf fish monthly award and got a $300 reel and rod combo).   Otherwise, all other large I caught were released and hopefully still swimming today.  

Edited by GeoffT

1 hour ago, GeoffT said:

The Golden Eagle and Miss Belmar crushed big bass again today.   25-50 lbs and a few over 50 lbs. 

and killed them all. Such tough guys

4 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Don't know if you were addressing me, but its a fair question.

Not addressing anyone in particular... But aside from the fish that walked off the beach there's surely a high mortality rate for 40-50 lb fish that are released after an extended fight...no surf fishers really cried foul back then that I can remember..

On 10/21/2019 at 2:17 PM, richs said:

It was a big one.  Heli was out with a search light then CC and park police were on the scene.

Yeah, had to check it out myself yesterday...

E8EADC92-4836-4453-AA49-1DFC6EA27529.jpeg

9 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Dont ever give up! After weeks of skunks i went out after work in snot weather. Could not get swimming plugs out there so put on a 6 inch black and gold topwater. than boom. fight was on. bottomed out my 35 lb boga. guessing between 38 n 42lbs. I am on cloud 9. Released to swim another day. 

20191022_172753.jpg

WOW! Congrats!

Can the fishery return to a state where big fish can be harvested without constant fear?

Not being a marine biologist, why is it that large blues and fluke are kept at will with little concern about the future but not so much with bass? Something to do with sexual maturity age being much higher in the striped ones?

22 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Dont ever give up! After weeks of skunks i went out after work in snot weather. Could not get swimming plugs out there so put on a 6 inch black and gold topwater. than boom. fight was on. bottomed out my 35 lb boga. guessing between 38 n 42lbs. I am on cloud 9. Released to swim another day. 

20191022_172753.jpg

Congrats! Thats a big one! maybe a 50 pounder if it had eggs!

31 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

20191022_172753.jpg

There is hope!