UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

731 posts in this topic

Moco out back, got into a decent bite of 25” bass, all on poppers. Left them bitting. Still a bunch of mullet around. 

8 hours ago, ridenfish said:

Bait of all kinds all over......and nothing but tiny blues on it.  I couldn’t believe it.  
I found a whale vertebrae and like the idiot I am I left it there.  I’m still kicking myself for not carrying it out with me.  It’s way bigger than it looks in the pic. 

58EF5802-E559-4A6F-ABCB-163A24156DBF.jpeg

Took a class out on tour of North Beach at the Hook we found a whale vertebrae and a rib. This was back in mid September and there were other pieces around. Let me say it stinks! You'll have to really dry it out. I gave mine to the NJSGC, we take students out seining for samples (like crabs spearing clams mullet shrimp seahorses things like that) then out onto the front beach for shell collection all the while teaching them about where we're are as it relates to bodies of water that surround us and what we're doing as we collect samples along with history of the area and some science.

FB_IMG_1570076041197.jpg

Wed. Afternoon: Had to get out after work. It was just too nice. 30 min out front MoCo, W wind picked up, middle of outgoing tide. Pod of bait a few hundred yards out with splashes. Casted toward 2 explosions closer to shore. Not a bump. Epoxy jigs, small storm shads and SP.

Ok, so I gave it a try this AM 30 min. Stiff ENE beginning of incoming tide. All I could throw is heavy metal. Birds were picking at small bait in the suds. Didn't see any fish rolling. Won't be out there until Monday maybe Sunday.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Amazed by how relentless the swells have been. It feels like it's been 4-6, 5-7 for the last 15 days.

Anyway...report from yest afternoon. Lots of bait, about an hour before the low. No luck. Stiff wind and water was getting dirty. Moco.

Edited by joefishnj21

Fished Raritan Bay Shore yesterday, 15 knot winds out of the NE sucked.  Tons of eel grass, stained to muddy water.  Used swim shads white, green,  hopkins, poppers, sp minnows,  1/2 , 1/4, 2 oz buck-tails, and most of the bag.   the 5" mullet were in thick to the rocks,  busting occasionally from snapper blues, weakfish below.  Connected on the weakies and blues with fresh mullet.  The bait had to be tail hooked, or you wouldn't get tight.  Lots of half eaten mullet was frustraing at times.   The fish are really keyed in on the bait.  Weakies 14-15" , blues were smaller this time 1- 2lb.  All fish released with a stern look and a good talking too.  

No fluke were caught this time.  No stripes were caught or seen caught,  fished 1 hour after sun up until we couldn't take the honking wind anymore around 2 pm.  water was cleaning up with the ebb tide and fishing improved with the cleaner water.  We moved to a less windy location for sanity, and fished a channel behind some bushes, nailed a few more snappers and high tailed it to the bar stool to lick our wounds and reflect on the outing.  

Always like to fish the start of a NE wind and it payed off again this morning.  Had to be blowing 15+ but with low water it was very fishable.  Surf was building pushing clean clear white water.  First cast had fish on.  Walked the sand and found another.  Didn't see any bait around in the early hours but as the tide came in I started to see a few fish break in the wash.  That's when the action picked up.  Mullet were being chased and bass popping out of the water for a couple of hours.  Finished the morning landing 11 stripes, with one keeper size at 29 inches, a fluke, a stargazer and a few lost fish along with a number of other bumps.  Called it quits when the tide and wind made it a bit dicey standing on the waters edge.  Just hope it doesn't turn to mud by morning.

DSCF2811.JPG

DSCF2813.JPG

DSCF2815.JPG

As Mike stated. It definitely payed off this morning. Only difference was he found the bass and I found the blues to 12lbs. It was almost every cast with the blues this morning  out front. That weather kicked my but and I felt it on the drive home. Pretty awesome mullet run going on out there. And the fish are eating....

22 mins ago, MC55 said:

Always like to fish the start of a NE wind and it payed off again this morning.

14 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

As Mike stated. It definitely payed off this morning. Only difference was he found the bass and I found the blues to 12lbs. It was almost every cast with the blues this morning  out front.

I also love the beginning of a noreast blow. 

Guess I musta ben right between you two guys, cause i had blues and stripers. Didn't get a keeper stripe, but had plenty of great action for a couple hours before work this morning. 

I called my newbie buddy yesterday who's ben begging me to take him out and teach him. Told him my plan for this morning, but he said since it was his birthday, he was gonna be out too late with friends and family last night.

Cant wait to see him tonight and make him feel bad, lol.

Brought October in with a nice few fish.  October 1st 2019

Fish in the 23"-26" 

Caught out front with Black and Silver SP minnow.  

Location- Atlantic Ocean

Rod- 8" mojo surf.

Definitely better out back but nice to get on them out front. 

Anyone want to fish sunset? 

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 1.07.31 PM.png

Gave it a shot this afternoon, 1:15 to 2:45, out front, Mo Co. Big surf and NE wind. Tough getting any distance. Only one other guy out. Neither of us hooked up. I had one bump, he had a blue bite him off. Water was slightly tea colored, but  fishable. Not sure that will be the case in the am.