UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, bechill11 said:

I was just saying. I dont have any idea. you guys are the pros im a nobody

Just messing with you.  Any time is a good time unless it's a danger to your health.  I have caught fish in dirty water and clean water  sometimes you just have to try.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  Good luck .

43 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

If that's true, it explains why the big ones go after the eels. Maternal instinct....

It would make sense. This was an old timing B&T owner so he could know a thing or two for sure.

Still kinda dirty out there as Nam said and very little if any bait around.  Started further north this morning and was able to find 3 smaller fish and a sundial.  Moved a bit south to were Bob was and on the way out got two more and a fluke.  Biggest fish was 23 inches.  Might give it another look later and hope to find much cleaner water in the morning.

DSCF2834.JPG

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I've been told stripers don't even eat eels naturally. They go after them out of instinct because eels go after Striper eggs. Is that true?

John Skinner mentions the same thing in his book ....     He also tells a story of a night when he caught a 30# Striper on a live eel that had a 2.5 # Bluefish partially sticking out of its mouth.   The Stripers throat and gullet totally blocked by the Bluefish but it still hit the eel .....

Out front moco 6am. Second cast. After releasing the fish I noticed my line was all screwed up and couldn’t continue unfortunately but glad I was able to make two casts. Beautiful morning. 

4F8B3586-0FF1-4099-ADED-95F23010F60C.jpeg

He took a swipe at my lure on the first cast and than on the second somehow I hooked him on his head and fin. I cut the middle hooks off all my lures and on the treble hooks I only leave one on and cut the rest off. First fish of the season. Small but just enough to recharge the batteries and ignite that desire to fish all the time. Def going out this evening. Gotta get the reel restrung. I don’t understand why I am having such a hard time with the braid on my reels. I feel like I get it on there really nice and tight and than there ends up getting line stuck underneath the line on the spool. Can’t explain it too well 

6BC3EF9E-3ECB-4F4E-8219-C6E6903B610F.jpeg

29 mins ago, bechill11 said:

He took a swipe at my lure on the first cast and than on the second somehow I hooked him on his head and fin. I cut the middle hooks off all my lures and on the treble hooks I only leave one on and cut the rest off. First fish of the season. Small but just enough to recharge the batteries and ignite that desire to fish all the time. Def going out this evening. Gotta get the reel restrung. I don’t understand why I am having such a hard time with the braid on my reels. I feel like I get it on there really nice and tight and than there ends up getting line stuck underneath the line on the spool. Can’t explain it too well 

6BC3EF9E-3ECB-4F4E-8219-C6E6903B610F.jpeg

When i first started using braid i had a lot of problems.  thanks to this site i tried the following and it eliminated 90% of the issues:

1. Don't overfill the spool. 

2. Flip the bail over manually after you cast (don't know why but make a big diff)

3. Check for knots in the line before each cast (or very frequently). If you catch the knot in the spool you save yourself a lot of trouble. 

Nice fish!

35 mins ago, bechill11 said:

That definitely shouldn't be happening on your VS - before you put on another $50 worth of braid, get it looked at by a shop that works on them. Sounds like the spool is extending out too far and wrapping around the spool shaft when the rotor turns. 

Re-reading what you wrote - maybe I'm not understanding the problem - bdawk is right, you don't want to overfill.

Edited by daves745t

Hit the beach at sunrise for a couple hours.  Conditions were good (not dirty) but not much going on.  Saw no bait at all.  Lot's of guys out, only saw one bent rod. 

Had an hour (1-2pm) to kill out front in MoCo. Managed my first bass (24”) of the fall on a 6” pearl shad working it across a nice cut. Had one other bump but that was it. No bait that I saw but water was clearing up nicely.

thank you for the advice on the reel. Yea I just bought that reel two weeks ago after regretting my other two last year.  I have it paired with a Ron Arra which i love, casts like a sling shot.   I really like the bailless now.  Only thing is with the vs150 when you are reeling it hits your knuckles some time which really irritates me. I do not remember my vs100 or vsb150 doing that last year when I had them.  

55 mins ago, bechill11 said:

Can we talk about maybe going out on our boats on here or have to go to the specific forum for that.  Or okay for the occasional two sense?

What do you mean?   This is the boating forum 

1 hour ago, bechill11 said:

thank you for the advice on the reel. Yea I just bought that reel two weeks ago after regretting my other two last year.  I have it paired with a Ron Arra which i love, casts like a sling shot.   I really like the bailless now.  Only thing is with the vs150 when you are reeling it hits your knuckles some time which really irritates me. I do not remember my vs100 or vsb150 doing that last year when I had them.  

I agree with all of the advice but another thing that has helped me is to make sure there’s tension on the line all the way to the spool. I usually give the line above the reel a little pull before I start cranking.