UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2019 at 1:36 AM, Eric_S said:

Epic doesn't even begin to describe today. One of the best fishing days of my life, when blitzing 30+lbers wasn't even the highlight of the day (all released, already had tog and seabass in the cooler and I don't like to keep stripers anyway). I thought tuna from my 18ft parker was a pipe dream, but luck was on our side today. Fought it into the dark and boated it without a gaff. Even another spell of crappy weather won't wipe the grin off my face. 

IMG_48092.JPG

Awesome, so you caught it on a popper? Let’s here some details man! Congrats on one you’ll never forget. sounds like there’s a good story in there. I’m pumped just lookin at the pic! 

Edited by libertyminded

Gave it a go this AM. What else am I gonna do before work? 30min predawn out front MoCo, beginning of incoming tide, flat ocean. Wind howling at my backside, stained but clean water and some suds. Managed 1 lil’ guy on the teaser in a foot of water.  

54F6B27D-29D2-4F55-863D-6C068FFED549.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

25 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Gave it a go this AM. What else am I gonna do before work? 30min predawn out front MoCo, beginning of incoming tide, flat ocean. Wind howling at my backside, stained but clean water and some suds. Managed 1 lil’ guy on the teaser in a foot of water.  

54F6B27D-29D2-4F55-863D-6C068FFED549.jpeg

What kind of eel  lure is that you were using? 

44 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Hey John,

It's that Savage Gear Real Eel lure.

Have you had any luck yet with the Savage Gear Real Eel?  Is that the 12 inch size.   How well do they cast ? 

I saw a John Skinner video on the Savage Gear Real Eel lure.   They have a really nice swimming action, but I don't think I would be throwing them if Bluefish are around.       

They come stock with a stinger treble hook....   Did you replace it with a Single Siwash hook ?   

Dismissed from jury duty yesterday so was able to get back out there this morning.  After seeing the dirty water I should have stayed in bed.  Thought the quick turn around last night of the wind from the west would have kept it cleaner, but there was less then a foot of visibility.  Fished a couple different areas looking for cleaner conditions but it was the same from north to south.  Heading out the incoming tide did seem to be helping so hope a tide change or two along with the west wind will get us back to better conditions and interested fish.  Back out in the morning. 

1 hour ago, UncleJohn said:

At about 10 bucks a pop ....   Can get really expensive if the Yellow Eyes are around  ...

Yes, I agree. But it does have great action. I use only pre-dawn, dusk and after dark. I've been lucky and had great results.I can rationalize that I've lost more expensive plugs and lures getting cut off on the rocks...and yes by those yellow eyed buggers. 

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Have you had any luck yet with the Savage Gear Real Eel?  Is that the 12 inch size.   How well do they cast ? 

I saw a John Skinner video on the Savage Gear Real Eel lure.   They have a really nice swimming action, but I don't think I would be throwing them if Bluefish are around.       

They come stock with a stinger treble hook....   Did you replace it with a Single Siwash hook ?   

I just removed the treble and left the single dorsal hook.