UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

729 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, bechill11 said:

I know I’m going to get ripped for this but what the hell im not afraid to admit I don’t know what size buck tail to use and how to fish it off the beach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Imo the smallest u can go and still maintain contact with the buck tail

Swung by water before work today. Tides running very high. Choppy as all heck. Moderate flooding now forecasted for tomorrow particularly in back bays. Should be a pretty wicked storm on coast. Seeing some tranquility returning around Columbus day. Got a good feeling we might kick into high gear when this moves out.  Fingers crossed. 

9 hours ago, bechill11 said:

I know I’m going to get ripped for this but what the hell im not afraid to admit I don’t know what size buck tail to use and how to fish it off the beach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

The bigger the bucktail, he bigger the fluke!

11 hours ago, bechill11 said:

Shoot me a PM if you want

11 hours ago, bechill11 said:

Don't feel bad for asking questions!  Everyone here, as professional as they all seem, started at the same place.  Knowing little and relying on other anglers and resources to learn the craft.  Someone mentioned John Skinner.  He's a great watch on YouTube and he's got some good books out there, including the bible for bucktailing.

You want to be deep with your bucktails, but not dragging the bottom.  A bounce/tick on the bottom is good, just not dragging.  In general, you'll be using 0.5oz to 1.5oz bucktails in the NJ surf.  The biggest mistake I see is that folks use really heavy bucktails from the surf which would be more appropriate from a boat.  If the ocean is flat and the waves are small, you're probably using 0.5oz.  The weight I use the most around here (moco) is 0.75oz.

I use a plastic grub trailer on the bucktail.  I'm lazy and don't want to deal with putting pork rinds on and taking them off.  I just leave the grubs on my bucktails in my pouch and replace them when they get chewed up.  

Using a teaser with a bucktail is very effective.  I tie my own teasers so they are lean and lightweight.  But whatever works, you're just looking to cover another part of the water column.

And speaking of the water column, you can cover the entire water column by changing the speed of your retrieve.  Hmmmm....

Conditions like yesterday, big surf, lots of whitewater, NE wind, are perfect for bucktailing.  I was using 1.0 oz yesterday and fish were hitting in the last 20 feet of the retrieve, right in the lip.

Went to take a look at conditions and they are as bad as was forecast.  Was there around half tide and was completely unfishable and looks to stay that way for days.  Will give me some time to make more lures and wait on the storm to exit.

I have a rod for plugs and a rod for bait, but the girlfriend wants to go so I got another bait rod (doesn't hurt to have 2 proper bait rods anyway for variety if that is what I am doing that day). I haven't had a ton of success in my surf casting career (just one on bait to write home about) but my question really is how does one decide to plug or bait? I know this is a plug heavy forum though which is cool, and I'm not ready to give up on plugging (especially since it's a $400 outfit that I definitely love using). 

I don't see doing both at the same time as a great idea. I can see bringing both outfits maybe and starting with the plugs which would be great to have especially if the bite is on, then switching to bait and wait if it isn't on. Just was hoping for some advice here! It makes sense for me to have bait rods anyway with LL reels since I fish the river in the spring, but I want to put the plug rod to use still and not sell it.

2 hours ago, SeaShoreNJ said:

Don't feel bad for asking questions!  Everyone here, as professional as they all seem, started at the same place.  Knowing little and relying on other anglers and resources to learn the craft.  Someone mentioned John Skinner.  He's a great watch on YouTube and he's got some good books out there, including the bible for bucktailing.

You want to be deep with your bucktails, but not dragging the bottom.  A bounce/tick on the bottom is good, just not dragging.  In general, you'll be using 0.5oz to 1.5oz bucktails in the NJ surf.  The biggest mistake I see is that folks use really heavy bucktails from the surf which would be more appropriate from a boat.  If the ocean is flat and the waves are small, you're probably using 0.5oz.  The weight I use the most around here (moco) is 0.75oz.

I use a plastic grub trailer on the bucktail.  I'm lazy and don't want to deal with putting pork rinds on and taking them off.  I just leave the grubs on my bucktails in my pouch and replace them when they get chewed up.  

Using a teaser with a bucktail is very effective.  I tie my own teasers so they are lean and lightweight.  But whatever works, you're just looking to cover another part of the water column.

And speaking of the water column, you can cover the entire water column by changing the speed of your retrieve.  Hmmmm....

Conditions like yesterday, big surf, lots of whitewater, NE wind, are perfect for bucktailing.  I was using 1.0 oz yesterday and fish were hitting in the last 20 feet of the retrieve, right in the lip.

Thank you I really appreciate it.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I have a rod for plugs and a rod for bait, but the girlfriend wants to go so I got another bait rod (doesn't hurt to have 2 proper bait rods anyway for variety if that is what I am doing that day). I haven't had a ton of success in my surf casting career (just one on bait to write home about) but my question really is how does one decide to plug or bait? I know this is a plug heavy forum though which is cool, and I'm not ready to give up on plugging (especially since it's a $400 outfit that I definitely love using). 

I don't see doing both at the same time as a great idea. I can see bringing both outfits maybe and starting with the plugs which would be great to have especially if the bite is on, then switching to bait and wait if it isn't on. Just was hoping for some advice here! It makes sense for me to have bait rods anyway with LL reels since I fish the river in the spring, but I want to put the plug rod to use still and not sell it.

Good question. Personally the question to ask in my opinion is, what do you like to do more? Are you a hunter, meaning, do you like to go from spot to spot, up and down the beach, trying different presentations and casting dozens of times? Or are you a soak, wait, and chill guy? If that's the guy case, bait might be better. Personally if you have a surf bag with clippers, some leader, circle hooks, a couple of weights...there's no reason you cant make a quick transition over to bait if you get bored of plugging and want to soak some baits. Heck you can even have a pre tied leader/hook ready to go where all you have to do is slip on a weight and tie to the swivel or line direct. I like surf fishing lures because of the hunt. Love moving on a beach. Love having to make sometimes tricky casts near structure. Soaking bait, often effective, but not for me (for the most part). If there not hitting anything, sometimes you have to snag some mullet or bunker to get them interested.

Edited by joefishnj21

MoCo

Out yesterday afternoon till dark

got this guy from a jetty and caught another in the wash

both on white 1.5 bt tipped with white rind

Small but it’s something 

should have been a lot more fish around 

the water reminded me of the good ole days up front in Montauk. Green and white with a sweep

9B97FBBF-8083-42E5-A3F8-E660F7C115A7.jpeg

58 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Good question. Personally the question to ask in my opinion is, what do you like to do more? Are you a hunter, meaning, do you like to go from spot to spot, up and down the beach, trying different presentations and casting dozens of times? Or are you a soak, wait, and chill guy? If that's the guy case, bait might be better. Personally if you have a surf bag with clippers, some leader, circle hooks, a couple of weights...there's no reason you cant make a quick transition over to bait if you get bored of plugging and want to soak some baits. Heck you can even have a pre tied leader/hook ready to go where all you have to do is slip on a weight and tie to the swivel or line direct. I like surf fishing lures because of the hunt. Love moving on a beach. Love having to make sometimes tricky casts near structure. Soaking bait, often effective, but not for me (for the most part). If there not hitting anything, sometimes you have to snag some mullet or bunker to get them interested.

I haven't figured out which I like more. I do a lot of LMB fishing so lures are something I'm used to, but I'm always open to "whatever works best" at a given time. Case in point, gulp wasn't producing last fluke trip so I switched to a regular fish finder with bait and caught a handful the rest of the day.  I am looking into getting a buggy permit which would make plugging easier I feel like. Bite not there? Drive down the beach and make a major move.  

Great post however.