UncleJohn

October 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,141 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, Goldy said:

Nothing like catching a keeper fluke last night out of season... Mag Darter was the ticket

Hands down..over the years I've caught more keeper fluke in the wash while targeting Stripers long after the end of regulation fluke season

So went back to where I was having some luck last week and the SSE wind really dirtied up the water dropping the visibility way down.  For some reason that area seem to get dirty the fastest with a SSE wind.  Fished it for an hour, saw no bait around so decided to move to where I was last evening.  Water there was perfect, clean, clear and rolling.  Walked a good stretch of sand fishing some nice cuts but never saw any bait around there either.  All I keep getting was fluke hits.  They would grab the tail of the plastic and hang on until I got them to the wash line then let go.  Happened at least a half dozen times.  Mullet just weren't showing this morning and neither were the stripes.  Tomorrow might be the day again with the wind flipping to the NE and forecast to stay around 15mph.

6 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Got an hour in out back cmc this morning. Went for the bait to save the rubbers. Beat the skunk with a 12" blue and 3 weakies 10"-14" stuffed with peanuts. 

20191007_053430.jpg

Nice 1.  that's the news right there fellas.  Decentt weak fish bite going on in the back.  they've been keyed in on the peanut bunker.  good fun while this blow is going on. schoolie stripes at sun up or sundown.  bigger weakies sundown for me.  BTW, better success lately on the falling tide , close to dead low.  Was I the only English speaker out there?  tight lines. 

1 hour ago, JimK said:

Hands down..over the years I've caught more keeper fluke in the wash while targeting Stripers long after the end of regulation fluke season

October was always my favorite fluke month :cry:

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Same. 

2 years ago was live lining peanuts in the bay and caught keeper fluke after keeper fluke, all in 1st week of October LOL. 

For anyone fishing out front during the day, do yourself a favor and keep at least one piece of skinny metal or epoxy jig handy because you never know when/where albies might show up.  My brother & I had a NatGeo moment yesterday out front in MOCO.  Hadn't seen any bait anywhere we went when literally out of nowhere all hell broke loose.  

Snuck out for a quick hour and a half after work ocean county. Despite the ripping south wind water was plenty fishable albeit stained. Didn’t  matter thought no birds no bait no fish!!

Out back, way out back in Monmouth County river. Blue fish busting mullet, not huge 3-5 lbs. Had one hooked that I guess bigger as he actually took some drag on fly reel, came off when he manged to eat through the leader. I don;t bother with wire leaders most of time. Might use one tommorow as no reason they wont be back, in the back at sunset. 

Back of Moco. Multiple spots. One cocktail. Blues, 2, 3,4 lbs busting about 150 yards out. No bass. Water suprisingly clean. Fishing has been flat out been terrible for me last 2 weeks. Still think we are 2 weeks away from some consistency. Still warm, still transitioning to the next season. 

4 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Back of Moco. Multiple spots. One cocktail. Blues, 2, 3,4 lbs busting about 150 yards out. No bass. Water suprisingly clean. Fishing has been flat out been terrible for me last 2 weeks. Still think we are 2 weeks away from some consistency. Still warm, still transitioning to the next season. 

Completely agree that things are going to pick up once the transition time finishes up. 

7 hours ago, JimK said:

Personally I would give up all of May and June to fish for fluke to the end of October.