surfamerica

Quonnie Breachway

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ive fished in tons of crowded conditions. Everything from opening day trout, the old sand bar at the 'mack, shad runs, albie runs, the spring schoolie run in heyday, blitzes at the point of a SoCo lighthouse, piers and bridges in Florida etc.

In every case, one or two guys will have the hot rock.

Never in my long, varied and wide ranging fishing career have I heard of guys whinning because they expect to show up late and be given easy fish.

Not only is it unheard of, if you tried it in the wrong place (a few piers in Fl come to mind), you'd be in physical danger.

You'd certainly be laughed all the way back to your BW, no matter where you tried it.

Anyway, whatever happened to the thrill of the hunt?

Figuring out the best times and places, then shagging your butt out of bed to in time to beat the duffers adds to the thrill of the experience. 

Edited by mikez2

21 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Nope.

The rotation is ridiculous. 

Try that at any at any piece of shore in any other state. It's all PUBLIC property lol!

Good luck getting someone to give up they're spot to a late commer. Not gonna happen.

Virtually everywhere else, guys with the experience and the stones to get there first get the spots.

Snooze yah lose.

Anyway, who said I want it all to myself. Plenty of room. Get here on time and get a spot.

Don't ask me to find fish for you while you sleep in then step aside to watch you fish once you show up late.

It's all moot anyway because I DON'T fish the rotation and don't need to. I leave the outgoing for the amateurs that can't find fish on their own.:howdy:

Very true, I'm from CT and if I see someone fishing the spot I was planning on going to, I just leave, or give them ample space. No such thing as a rotation here, first come first serve.

8 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Not to certain as to why previous statements have been made to presume anyone would "lock down / hog the tip of a SoCo BW"- when in fact there is more than enough room for 4-5 guys to comfortably fish any of which BW is mentioned if done correctly...

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I think you're talking about fishing slack or incoming while I'm thinking specifically outgoing. If done correctly... How is a rotation during the outgoing not correct, but ridiculous I think the term was? Yes you can put 3-4 guys at the end and you'll probably catch fish. But I see more bigger fish get caught when you use rotation during the outgoing to get to where the fish are. I wasn't complaining about BW's being crowded, on the contrary, I accept them for what they are. People show up when they can or want, I don't judge them for getting there 3 hours after slack. I wasn't "making excuses" for them. I simply don't judge others when I don't know their story. When I don't want to deal with people, I don't. I have other spots. Now if it's not the outgoing, then I totally agree you pick your spots accordingly without crowding someone that was there first. I'm all for that. I'm not gonna try to push anyone out during incoming or slack. I'm not gonna stand in line during slack, lol. If I'm there first and the tide isn't pulling, y'all gonna have to wait for the tide to turn for me to move. Then I will gladly get in line for my chance to reel in a keeper size.  

Not for nuthin', but going back more than a few years I used to fish the Chuck-town BW on a regular basis, and there could be as many as 7 or 8 guys on the end fishing a rotation on the outgoing. We basically all knew each other, knew what we were doing, and never had any problems. Even when catching fish (which happened more frequently back then) there were no tangled lines or heated words.

It was public property being shared by folks with similar interests. If there was someone standing off to the side looking at what was going on, he was invited in and shown how the rotation worked. 

Guess it was different back then.

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I think you're talking about fishing slack or incoming while I'm thinking specifically outgoing. If done correctly... How is a rotation during the outgoing not correct, but ridiculous I think the term was? Yes you can put 3-4 guys at the end and you'll probably catch fish. But I see more bigger fish get caught when you use rotation during the outgoing to get to where the fish are. I wasn't complaining about BW's being crowded, on the contrary, I accept them for what they are. People show up when they can or want, I don't judge them for getting there 3 hours after slack. I wasn't "making excuses" for them. I simply don't judge others when I don't know their story. When I don't want to deal with people, I don't. I have other spots. Now if it's not the outgoing, then I totally agree you pick your spots accordingly without crowding someone that was there first. I'm all for that. I'm not gonna try to push anyone out during incoming or slack. I'm not gonna stand in line during slack, lol. If I'm there first and the tide isn't pulling, y'all gonna have to wait for the tide to turn for me to move. Then I will gladly get in line for my chance to reel in a keeper size.  

Correct, I was reading it that way too. 100% Rotations on the outgoings, like jockey said, easy when everyone knows each other or at least what the hell to do based on the conditions. Incoming or slack, lmao good luck getting me off my spot 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I think you're talking about fishing slack or incoming while I'm thinking specifically outgoing. If done correctly... How is a rotation during the outgoing not correct, but ridiculous I think the term was? Yes you can put 3-4 guys at the end and you'll probably catch fish.

1 hour ago, RISurfcaster said:

Correct, I was reading it that way too. 100% Rotations on the outgoings, like jockey said, easy when everyone knows each other or at least what the hell to do based on the conditions. Incoming or slack, lmao good luck getting me off my spot 

That's what I was trying to explain as well but I think a few may have misconstrued was I was saying.  I only follow rotations at the outgoing tide of breachways.  Slack/Incoming on the BW or any other location in general; I agree.  First come first serve.

I've watched multiple people try to fish the outflow end at once before; wow what a tangled mess that becomes.

1 hour ago, Hookerboots said:

Back to the Breachway... How's traffic on the sand trial anyways? Do fishermen have access to the beach after hours?

Beach face driving in Charlestown is only allowed between April 1st - Sept 15th, all hours as long as you have a fishing rod, license, and permit of course.  Westerly beaches open about a week sooner and close a week later.  East beach has a lot of shore line and plenty of room to fish.  Good luck on the soft side jetty during the weekends, it's a party there.

Off-season (summer) were just limited to the backtrack.  DEM has been hammering down on the 30 vehicle limit on the sandtrails; if you're not on the sandtrails by 8am, it will be full to capacity and you're not getting on.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Granted I have not been there in few years but the deal was park at the pond in the back and walk up the road towards the jetty and then don't go thru the old public access gate thing(between houses) like we used to but walk toward the beach and there is access there then walk to the breakaway.   A little walk but not that bad.   Has all this changed?

3 mins ago, Pungo said:

Granted I have not been there in few years but the deal was park at the pond in the back and walk up the road towards the jetty and then don't go thru the old public access gate thing(between houses) like we used to but walk toward the beach and there is access there then walk to the breakaway.   A little walk but not that bad.   Has all this changed?

:worms:

56 mins ago, Pungo said:

And let the angry BW goers begin... lol #ParkingSpotBurn? #OpensCanOfWorms #IllGetThePopcornReady

14 hours ago, Pungo said:

No trespassing sign up there now. Know a guy who got the "calling the cops" routine from the homeowners on one side. 

There is really no legit access, according to the land owners, and those who know how are not going to tell the masses so that it gets ruined for them.  Not sure why someone would even post directions to a spot.