surfamerica

Quonnie Breachway

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

If you don't like rotations, don't fish them. It's that simple. To claim a PUBLIC property at the end of a BW during an outgoing tide all to yourself is ridiculous. And if you try to, then you probably deserve what comes to you, lol. I've met a lot of great guys standing in line at several BWs. When you get a group that knows what they are doing it's painless. When I'm sick of it or find it not worth the wait I bail. It's that easy. 

26 mins ago, mikez2 said:

It's been many years since I did the shoulder to shoulder shuffle. Never once have I seen action so crazy it was worth waiting in line for. I still get there first (not Q), will cling to my rock as long as possible to avoid conflict, then bail when it can't be helped. 

Usually I move to the beach pocket if I think fish are around. Manys the time I'm quietly getting fish while 6 guys stand with hands in pockets 30 feet away, waiting their turn.

I actually get guys leave the rotation to mug me. At that point if it's the usual cookie cutters, I give em up.

Plenty of peaceful spots to get cookie cutters without company. 

The one thing that irks me most about the rotation in the internet age, so many guys whine and complain about crowds and spotburning and newbies yadayada online, then defend the rotation out on the jetty.

The channel seems to call fewer cuddlers (props to daignault), I suppose because people rarely come equipped to fish the channel properly.  And the further out on the rocks you go, the fewer will try to venture out behind you.  But it happens.  If you've ever been out on a midday blitz near a breachway, it's an absolute crapshow (dare I say a Montauk-level crapshow).  Nowhere is safe from cuddlers and crossed lines. 

Low-hanging fruit.  The easiest spot will _always_ be the busiest regardless if there are fish there or not.  I took my son out last evening on a tour of spots I haven't taken him to before.  One of them was $MOST_POPULAR_BREACHWAY (like you could spotburn that place).  Weekday, incoming tide, 3 hours before lag turn, and there were 8 ppl on the easy side, 4 on the soft side, 4 on the beach, and a boat in the channel.  We stayed for 30minutes and saw exactly 0 fish caught.  My son was casting the pocket next to the rocks: the moment he came over to talk to me someone stepped into his bootprints and started casting.  A middle-aged man mugged a spot from an 11-year-old boy. 

You might ask why were all those people there if there were no fish?  Because there are a ton of references to the place in (even pre-electronic) literature, and you can park, walk 50 feet, and cast.  It's easy to find and easy to access, and people will choose an easy spot that someone once told them holds fish over the hard task of finding a spot themselves and putting in the time to learn how to fish it.  It's all about the instant gratification and the trophy pic to justify the trip to friends and family.

Cultivate the not-easy spots.  I still fish breachways often (off-tide times and turning tides), but I have other spots to go to when they get busy.  Not enough spots. I'm always trying to find more (my mid-bay game is still weak).  Not enough hours in the day. Stupid job...

6 mins ago, rolm said:

The channel seems to call fewer cuddlers (props to daignault), I suppose because people rarely come equipped to fish the channel properly.  And the further out on the rocks you go, the fewer will try to venture out behind you.  But it happens.  If you've ever been out on a midday blitz near a breachway, it's an absolute crapshow (dare I say a Montauk-level crapshow).  Nowhere is safe from cuddlers and crossed lines. 

Low-hanging fruit.  The easiest spot will _always_ be the busiest regardless if there are fish there or not.  I took my son out last evening on a tour of spots I haven't taken him to before.  One of them was $MOST_POPULAR_BREACHWAY (like you could spotburn that place).  Weekday, incoming tide, 3 hours before lag turn, and there were 8 ppl on the easy side, 4 on the soft side, 4 on the beach, and a boat in the channel.  We stayed for 30minutes and saw exactly 0 fish caught.  My son was casting the pocket next to the rocks: the moment he came over to talk to me someone stepped into his bootprints and started casting.  A middle-aged man mugged a spot from an 11-year-old boy. 

You might ask why were all those people there if there were no fish?  Because there are a ton of references to the place in (even pre-electronic) literature, and you can park, walk 50 feet, and cast.  It's easy to find and easy to access, and people will choose an easy spot that someone once told them holds fish over the hard task of finding a spot themselves and putting in the time to learn how to fish it.  It's all about the instant gratification and the trophy pic to justify the trip to friends and family.

Cultivate the not-easy spots.  I still fish breachways often (off-tide times and turning tides), but I have other spots to go to when they get busy.  Not enough spots. I'm always trying to find more (my mid-bay game is still weak).  Not enough hours in the day. Stupid job...

Solid advice! I would of pushed in someone who jumped in the shoes my 11yr old. Kudos to you for not, lol

3 hours ago, Backroads said:

If you don't like rotations, don't fish them. It's that simple. To claim a PUBLIC property at the end of a BW during an outgoing tide all to yourself is ridiculous. 

Nope.

The rotation is ridiculous. 

Try that at any at any piece of shore in any other state. It's all PUBLIC property lol!

Good luck getting someone to give up they're spot to a late commer. Not gonna happen.

Virtually everywhere else, guys with the experience and the stones to get there first get the spots.

Snooze yah lose.

Anyway, who said I want it all to myself. Plenty of room. Get here on time and get a spot.

Don't ask me to find fish for you while you sleep in then step aside to watch you fish once you show up late.

It's all moot anyway because I DON'T fish the rotation and don't need to. I leave the outgoing for the amateurs that can't find fish on their own.:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I enjoyed the community aspect 30 years ago when it had a different feel. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I learned the ropes in the rotation as a newb.

It's that experience that I feels gives me authority to criticize the new breed of guys who lost the sense of community, even as they increase the crowd.

It's been many years since I did the shoulder to shoulder shuffle. Never once have I seen action so crazy it was worth waiting in line for. I still get there first (not Q), will cling to my rock as long as possible to avoid conflict, then bail when it can't be helped. 

Usually I move to the beach pocket if I think fish are around. Manys the time I'm quietly getting fish while 6 guys stand with hands in pockets 30 feet away, waiting their turn.

I actually get guys leave the rotation to mug me. At that point if it's the usual cookie cutters, I give em up.

Plenty of peaceful spots to get cookie cutters without company. 

The one thing that irks me most about the rotation in the internet age, so many guys whine and complain about crowds and spotburning and newbies yadayada online, then defend the rotation out on the jetty.

As long as the rotation is the norm, all a guy needs to become a surf caster is to figure out where the parking lot is.

And buy a really really bright headlamp. 

Enjoy the company my rotating friends.

Same here, Mike.  A lot of what I know today was from learning and gaining knowledge from the "old-timers" that used to fish the breach-ways.  But almost a decade has passed and I don't see too many of the locals fishing the end anymore unfortunately.  Probably explains why I still have a soft spot for that heavily crowded area.

Although I don't agree with locking down the end of the breachway outflow to ones self, I do understand the "first-come-first-serve" idea and i'm personally not one to loose sleep over it.  There's plenty of areas and fish to be caught.  As a matter of speaking, some of my most memorable fish were caught yards away from the end of the jetty :)

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Sounds like revisiting Quonny after a decade plus is not going to be as fun as it once was.

Nah, you're good.  Soft side of the Q is a prime piece of real estate if you have the coin to get there.  Just don't go to the more public or as some may say... "degenerate" areas :)

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

I tried to access Quonnie from the road last season.  After getting a mouthful from a resident that ended with "calling the cops" I left.  I wasn't familiar with the area and just assumed that a PUBLIC access spot would be accessible.  I've made the trek down from East once or twice and worked my way back with the tide but haven't ever bothered getting on the rocks due to the crowd.  Like some other of guys on here, my time fishing is as much about catching fish as it is an escape from everything else.  I opt for less crowded areas even if it means going to a lesser quality spot.

13 mins ago, rst3 said:

Anyone that mugs an 11 yt old is grotesque.

Period.

Ive brought up four boys on the jetty so far. You'd be surprised how often it happens. 

My number 4 boy is 13, looks the size of a grown-up and hooks up more than most grownups. He gets mugged by adults all the time. I have to get after him to stand his ground, otherwise he'd give up his spot constantly. 

To be fair, over the years I've had a way more guys give my boys positive attention, pointers, tips, even plugs. Many times they got an ego boost from an attaboy after landing a fish. Lots of guys seem to appreciate a hard fishing kid.

My boy is so hardcore, I sometimes have the reverse problem. He wants to mug other guys. Especially when the funny fish blow up, he has a tendency to run after them. I'm trying to reign in that tendency. 

51 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

..Although I don't agree with locking down the end of the breachway outflow to ones self...

There's no reason in the world for anyone to lock down an outflow. There's room for several guys working together to all fish at once, no waiting in line.

That's one of thing that annoys me - six or eight or more guys standing in line, not fishing, waiting for one stupid cast, all standing in front of fishable water.

Don't stand there, fish!

The way I look at it, no place else in the fishing world is the guy on the hot rock expected to give up his spot to some late arrived amateur and his five buddies.

I think of every crowded spot from the Kennebec river to Pensacola Bay I ever fished. I try to imagine someone claiming 

"Hey, this fish pier/sandbar/bridge/outlet/rockpile is PUBLIC property!" "Time to give me a turn!"

That's funny.:laugh:

To those who criticize the ones who show up late...

Put yourself in their shoes! Maybe they just got done pulling a 13 hour shift at work? Maybe they were tending to their kids? Maybe this was the only time this week they got to go because they work two jobs? So they pick a BW because of the certainty there will be fish there because this the only chance to go this week at all? All the while you are lucky enough to have the luxury to have the time to scout for fish? I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but it is for someone. 

If there aren't enough fish in the ocean that you need to hog an outgoing tide at a BW to yourself, you must be pretty damn important is all I'm sayin'.

I remember years ago one night some guy decided he was gonna toss weight and bait at the end. That didn't go over too well with the regulars and the tangled lines. lol:howdy:

I used to fish Quonnie all the time, met Rolm and Jimmy Z there and had some really great times with good guys. I love that spot but when the rotation gets over 5 or 6 guys it is time to head elsewhere.

One of my fondest memories of the place was one early June morning me and another guy (another member here) got into bruiser blues cast after cast there. He ended up having to leave to go take his kids to school (?) and I had 'em all to myself until the bite died. My worst memory was walking off the beach and severely twisting my ankle on the early part of the walk out.....it was a LONG walk back to the car. 

9 hours ago, Backroads said:

To those who criticize the ones who show up late...

Put yourself in their shoes! Maybe they just got done pulling a 13 hour shift at work? Maybe they were tending to their kids? Maybe this was the only time this week they got to go because they work two jobs? So they pick a BW because of the certainty there will be fish there because this the only chance to go this week at all? All the while you are lucky enough to have the luxury to have the time to scout for fish? I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but it is for someone. 

If there aren't enough fish in the ocean that you need to hog an outgoing tide at a BW to yourself, you must be pretty damn important is all I'm sayin'.

Not to certain as to why previous statements have been made to presume anyone would "lock down / hog the tip of a SoCo BW"- when in fact there is more than enough room for 4-5 guys to comfortably fish any of which BW is mentioned if done correctly...The "I just worked 13hrs,have 18 kids and 3 wives back at home" story isn't the guy who is single works 4AM-1Pm's problem neither....I work Mon-Fri(Sometimes a Sat); I leave the house at 2:30AM every day just to ensure my butt is out of the workplace by 12:20-1:30PM every day....Don't make excuses because its called "Life" we all have them.  So if its a Fri after I've been up already since 2AM and I get down to a BW at 4:30 in the afternoon and ive got 2 reputable guys working the point and I'm the late shower to the gathering I dont automatically assume I'm allowed in....I'll work the soft areas give it a while then make a friendly approach, visually understand their casting areas, patterns, what they are doing as a whole....The problem I see with most today is just that. They dont care for one; and two they feel self entitled to everything that is around them...WRONG. I understand that most have a lot going on with families and life in general...BUT then you've now got a personal choice to make; 1.) Be a big boy and strap on the big boy pants and tend to more pressing matters, 2.) Make the call to be at a spot at a reasonable time, if you notice a large gathering at spot #1; move on to a plan B. 3.) Go home and complain about it on SOL lol...Just wanted to clear the air in terms of words being twisted. Because I'll be the first guy to invite strangers in around me to get in on good fishing as long as they're being respectful and mindful of what I've been doing and how I'm doing it.

7 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Not to certain as to why previous statements have been made to presume anyone would "lock down / hog the tip of a SoCo BW"- when in fact there is more than enough room for 4-5 guys to comfortably fish any of which BW is mentioned if done correctly...The "I just worked 13hrs,have 18 kids and 3 wives back at home" story isn't the guy who is single works 4AM-1Pm's problem neither....I work Mon-Fri(Sometimes a Sat); I leave the house at 2:30AM every day just to ensure my butt is out of the workplace by 12:20-1:30PM every day....Don't make excuses because its called "Life" we all have them.  So if its a Fri after I've been up already since 2AM and I get down to a BW at 4:30 in the afternoon and ive got 2 reputable guys working the point and I'm the late shower to the gathering I dont automatically assume I'm allowed in....I'll work the soft areas give it a while then make a friendly approach, visually understand their casting areas, patterns, what they are doing as a whole....The problem I see with most today is just that. They dont care for one; and two they feel self entitled to everything that is around them...WRONG. I understand that most have a lot going on with families and life in general...BUT then you've now got a personal choice to make; 1.) Be a big boy and strap on the big boy pants and tend to more pressing matters, 2.) Make the call to be at a spot at a reasonable time, if you notice a large gathering at spot #1; move on to a plan B. 3.) Go home and complain about it on SOL lol...Just wanted to clear the air in terms of words being twisted. Because I'll be the first guy to invite strangers in around me to get in on good fishing as long as they're being respectful and mindful of what I've been doing and how I'm doing it.

Very well said.  

7 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Amen