surfamerica

Quonnie Breachway

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Mike said:

Any blackfish in the breachway?

 

#askingforafriend

Used to always be lots of juvenile and short blacks and cunner inside all the breachways. 

In recent years, juvenile and short seabass seem to fill the rock caves.

I don't fish for them, I'm going by what I see down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I Miss fishing another B-way , had quite a few nights of non stop action even with a rotation everything was smooth and folks got along.

  Running into 1doz was always a treat , usually out there with his daughter or trying out a new setup. 

 Even fished a tide or with Landslide or occasionally bumping into Gary .

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surfamerica said:

Why does it seem so many a-holes fish at this spot. Is it private property?   What is this "rotation" people write about?

The breachway itself is public property taken over by a few private home owners that block access to the end forcing the public to cross other property to access the end.  Why the state has never addressed this issue is a lesson in corrupt politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, surfamerica said:

Why does it seem so many a-holes fish at this spot. Is it private property?   What is this "rotation" people write about?

A rotation is just that; which to me is kind of stupid...unless you are fishing with other gentlemen who know what they're doing. If I make it a point to get to a spot at 3:30am and want to fish it until 8-9am then I see no reason or excuse to allow Joe,Dick,and Harry who show up at 6:30am after a fresh morning cup of joe and a full breakfast the convenience of jumping into a spot I've already been working since 3hrs before they decided to show up.  But you usually tend to have a crowd at most popular SoCo B-Ways so most will "rotate"; one guy or two guys will dictate the in-flow or out-flow in most cases then launch casts accordingly and once there retrieve is 3/4 of the way back rotate out of the casting areas to make way for the next set of guys to get a shot out there....It becomes more of a socializing even especially when the older guys are in the mix due to the fact you're waiting for the next come around to get a cast off. But thats just me and my take on a "rotation"...More like get out of bed and lock a spot down and fish it hard until the weekend warrior crowd shows up; I'm a first come first serve kind of guy and strictly practice C&R so I don't have the patience for this rotation nonsense unless I've had my fill of fish on every cast and want to allow the 8:00Am fishermen a chance at getting hooked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

A rotation is just that; which to me is kind of stupid...unless you are fishing with other gentlemen who know what they're doing. If I make it a point to get to a spot at 3:30am and want to fish it until 8-9am then I see no reason or excuse to allow Joe,Dick,and Harry who show up at 6:30am after a fresh morning cup of joe and a full breakfast the convenience of jumping into a spot I've already been working since 3hrs before they decided to show up.  But you usually tend to have a crowd at most popular SoCo B-Ways so most will "rotate"; one guy or two guys will dictate the in-flow or out-flow in most cases then launch casts accordingly and once there retrieve is 3/4 of the way back rotate out of the casting areas to make way for the next set of guys to get a shot out there....It becomes more of a socializing even especially when the older guys are in the mix due to the fact you're waiting for the next come around to get a cast off. But thats just me and my take on a "rotation"...More like get out of bed and lock a spot down and fish it hard until the weekend warrior crowd shows up; I'm a first come first serve kind of guy and strictly practice C&R so I don't have the patience for this rotation nonsense unless I've had my fill of fish on every cast and want to allow the 8:00Am fishermen a chance at getting hooked up.

That's exactly how I feel about. 

 

I skip a night sleep to arrive at 3:30 am to get a good spot. I'm not favorably inclined to give that up.

In the old days it was more oldtimers and it was a social event among locals. You shared your spot because you were hanging out with your pals. On some BWs it was more casual and if it wasn't crowded and guys weren't pals, there wouldn't be a rotation. 

 

In recent years young guys have hijacked the concept and use it to show up late,squeeze out other anglers and push out strangers to let their even later buddies in.

Guys muscle in to the good spot, get a fish, make a phone call and half an hour later five of his buddies take over the point.

It promotes mugging, spotburning and attracts skillless dopes that wouldn't be there otherwise. 

Ive been out there with only one other guy when fish were all around and he tried to get my rock in the name of the rotation. Only two of us, all rocks were good, but I was hooking up and he wasn't.

I wasn't very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rotation has its spot in surf casting tradition and was a cool experience to be part of 6-10 yrs ago, it has morphed into something else.  Exactly what folks above have said, that people who cannot find fish other than THAT spot and dont need to show up on time to get a prime shot and can bring all their buddies to crowd out the guys who were there first.  I have see more rude behavior on those Bways then anywhere else, folks have learned bully behavior works.

 

Had a guy (at a non bway location) argue i should move and give him a shot at the pocket i was fishing and catching in, however i got there early to be sure i had that spot and waited the tide out for the ideal conditions. He only wandered over cause i was catching.   I simply told him get here first and it is all yours..... people are ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit, when I'm there, I'm one of the a-holes. If you fished it years ago when people knew how to do it correctly, 3 people would fish at a time and a peaceful rotation could continue. Everyone when down to the casting rock, moved over, hooked up, moved over landed it like a well oiled machine.

 

Now unfortunately, people do not want to learn to fish the spots correctly, and instead want to turn it into a party, drinking beers, casting wherever (not adjusting based on the conditions of the drift), not having safe gear and my biggest pet peeve-undersized gear with their drags set to 1lb and fight a schoolie in the current for 45mins saying "this is a big one."

 

You guys have all said it best - the breachways have become the haven for internet fishermen who get up late, show up wanting you to be nice, then monopolize a spot. The soft side of this breachway specifically has turned into a legit party (where did the RIMS go?) where yahoos pull up and cast all the way across to try to drift. 

 

For months I have thought of opening a thread to start a discussion on how to fish these areas way they used to be, but didnt want to encourage more crowds. This might be the only way to reach the new generation (even though some of the biggest culprits are of any age) instead, I just fish the countless other spots where there are fish. The battle for schoolies at the breachways has ruined their big fish potential, at least for the majority of my trips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I respectfully disagree with the above posts regarding rotations, I do agree that the past few years at the breachways have turned into a total sh*tshow, thanks to social media.

 

Whether I get to the breachway at 3am or 3pm, I always offer and share the end with others (unless your intentions are to chunk the end, I don't offer).  I personally don't mind doing the shuffle with competent fisherman or people willing to learn at least.  I've met a lot of good people fishing the breachway outflows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, Kooky said:

The rotation has its spot in surf casting tradition and was a cool experience to be part of 6-10 yrs ago, it has morphed into something else.  Exactly what folks above have said, that people who cannot find fish other than THAT spot and dont need to show up on time to get a prime shot and can bring all their buddies to crowd out the guys who were there first.  I have see more rude behavior on those Bways then anywhere else, folks have learned bully behavior works.

 

Agreed, it seemed better even a few years ago.  But I find the idea of claiming the end of a breachway jetty to be "all mine RAAAAWR" during an outgoing tide to be ridiculous.  This might fly in Jersey because jettys serve a different purpose there. Here, there are only a few of them and they are a sweet spot between access, current, and bait.  Low-hanging fruit that attracts the unwashed masses.

  It's local tradition; if you don't like it don't take part in it and leave when it gets stupid.  I find the rotation gets stupid after 4 other people.  If the end is fishing good the fish are all around you.  No need to stay in a spot that makes you feel that way. If the fish are on and you can't find them anywhere but at the end, then you my friend are just like everyone else who mobs the breachway because it's the only way they know to catch fish.  And I will leave you to figure out how to play nice with them while I go catch fish behind you or 100m to the west or east. 

  Maybe it's because I avoid the "popular" breachway and leave the others when it gets "stupid", but I don't understand the "bullying" that is being talked about.  Do people jump the rotation now?  Are they too scary to call them out on it? 

 

  As for mugging at other spots away from a breachway, them's fighting words. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, rolm said:

Agreed, it seemed better even a few years ago.  But I find the idea of claiming the end of a breachway jetty to be "all mine RAAAAWR" during an outgoing tide to be ridiculous.  This might fly in Jersey because jettys serve a different purpose there. Here, there are only a few of them and they are a sweet spot between access, current, and bait.  Low-hanging fruit that attracts the unwashed masses.

  It's local tradition; if you don't like it don't take part in it and leave when it gets stupid.  I find the rotation gets stupid after 4 other people.  If the end is fishing good the fish are all around you.  No need to stay in a spot that makes you feel that way. If the fish are on and you can't find them anywhere but at the end, then you my friend are just like everyone else who mobs the breachway because it's the only way they know to catch fish.  And I will leave you to figure out how to play nice with them while I go catch fish behind you or 100m to the west or east. 

  Maybe it's because I avoid the "popular" breachway and leave the others when it gets "stupid", but I don't understand the "bullying" that is being talked about.  Do people jump the rotation now?  Are they too scary to call them out on it? 

 

  As for mugging at other spots away from a breachway, them's fighting words. 

 

 

I agree its ridiculous to try and own the tip on a dropping tide, know there is going to be a rotation and join or move.  The bullying is people cut the rotation, just walk up and cast the tip regardless of rotations, call their buddies and 5-7 guys show up. I have elected to not take part this year except on off tides so im sure there is more other behavior.

 

Mugging other than bway is certainly fighting words, and will happily call folks out on that but happens more and more.  Less manners, less fish, and less skilled fisherman.  If people spent less time trying to just "catch" and more time figuring out why they arent catching and learn more they would catch...  Its the need for instant gratification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Although I respectfully disagree with the above posts regarding rotations, I do agree that the past few years at the breachways have turned into a total sh*tshow, thanks to social media.

 

Whether I get to the breachway at 3am or 3pm, I always offer and share the end with others (unless your intentions are to chunk the end, I don't offer).  I personally don't mind doing the shuffle with competent fisherman or people willing to learn at least.  I've met a lot of good people fishing the breachway outflows.

I enjoyed the community aspect 30 years ago when it had a different feel. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I learned the ropes in the rotation as a newb.

 

It's that experience that I feels gives me authority to criticize the new breed of guys who lost the sense of community, even as they increase the crowd.

 

It's been many years since I did the shoulder to shoulder shuffle. Never once have I seen action so crazy it was worth waiting in line for. I still get there first (not Q), will cling to my rock as long as possible to avoid conflict, then bail when it can't be helped. 

Usually I move to the beach pocket if I think fish are around. Manys the time I'm quietly getting fish while 6 guys stand with hands in pockets 30 feet away, waiting their turn.

I actually get guys leave the rotation to mug me. At that point if it's the usual cookie cutters, I give em up.

Plenty of peaceful spots to get cookie cutters without company. 

 

The one thing that irks me most about the rotation in the internet age, so many guys whine and complain about crowds and spotburning and newbies yadayada online, then defend the rotation out on the jetty.

As long as the rotation is the norm, all a guy needs to become a surf caster is to figure out where the parking lot is.

And buy a really really bright headlamp. 

Enjoy the company my rotating friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.