surfamerica

Quonnie Breachway

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

One side there is no legal access out front, you have to fish the pond or boat launch, the other take walk down the beach.

If you go there and don't know what you're doing be prepared to get into some serious arguments. It can be a nightmare when people mess with the rotation with crossed lines and 45 minute schoolie retrieves on loose drags

30 mins ago, RISurfcaster said:

One side there is no legal access out front, you have to fish the pond or boat launch, the other take walk down the beach.

If you go there and don't know what you're doing be prepared to get into some serious arguments. It can be a nightmare when people mess with the rotation with crossed lines and 45 minute schoolie retrieves on loose drags

That's a long azz walk if you're not in an ORV.

Judging by the heavy ORV traffic that goes out there, Imma gonna guess it's a party out there.

I'll probably get crap for it, but my opinion is it's one of the lesser BWs and not worth the hassle. 

Having said that, I have very fond memories from the 1970s of clamming and crabbing and catching snappers in the pond.

Possibly the first ever stripers I ever saw were back then in the pond by the opening. My dad would catch them on streamers with a bamboo fly rod and tourists would stop and say " I didn't know there were trout in there".

Saltwater fly fishing was almost non-existent then.

9 mins ago, RISurfcaster said:

Mike Z, totally agree, much better places to fish.

Especially in mass, ny and conn where all plates I see are from.

One thing I don't pay attention to; are the ORV traffic all RI residents?

Busy busy on that road out there.

Of course out of state plates. It's RI.

As soon as they built the first beach parking lot in the history of RI, it filled with out of state plates. The economy has been  depending on us ever since.

It a shame there is no public access. The breakwalls were built with Federal dollars to control flooding and storm damage. 

It's probably the only Federal Project in RI without any public access. There should be access along the entire stretch. Not sure is this is true or not, but I heard there was a natural opening to the west a little bit. They close off that, built the new breachway. Those homes along the breakwall became water front properties. Also it's a navigated waterway. There shouldn't be any docks hindering boat navigation.  Money talks, where we can't walk.  

I generally don’t wish people and property harm but when we do finally get that big hurricane I hope all those homes are swept to the north of Route 1.

4 mins ago, DZ said:

I generally don’t wish people and property harm but when we do finally get that big hurricane I hope all those homes are swept to the north of Route 1.

That's gotta be coming. When you look at the '38 hurricane, you realize the scope of a similar storm today. 

How much $$$$$$ in the real estate just around Misquamacut alone. One good wave! Byebye. Billions in claims.

The homes all along Charlestown beaches would be driftwood. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Be careful. I got boxed in by a Porsche as they called the cops harassing me Luckily nothing came of it, the wife of the husband who got in my face said she would ruin my life by pressing charges. I didn’t say a word through the whole ordeal. I was able to pull around as they were on the phone and they followed me for miles. Man said he would hurt me if I ever came back 

this was late October. Been going there since I was a kid. The jerks  were from out of state. They just had a vacation house. Lady also said she would be thinking of me in jail when they were in Hawaii . Horrible horrible people. I learned a good lesson. Let the rich stay in there crystal castles. 

On another note a guy hit me with his rod casting over my shoulder last weekend. I asked him to move as there was plenty of space and he called me a white n-word, and said he would rip off my arms and throw me in the water.  Colorful folk everywhere these days. Luckily I had a good group of people around me in case things went sideways, but I have never fought in my life and refuse to when fishing. Sad state of things

Edited by fvgourami3

Being polite and having manners is a dying pastime. I left a spot last pm because some a-hole walks past me, sets up just down current (cutting off my shadow line I was fishing) and shines his lamp all over the dark water the fish are in. I just gave up and left, not worth a fist fight at 12am. Everyone wants to fight now a days, no one can take feedback or have a conversation where they are wrong. It’s a sad state.

27 mins ago, UPSmanMatt said:

All the drama for 20 inch fish. 

Right.

I happily walked away from the muggers that jumped in our pocket friday morning. I was thinking of walking away from the 18 inch fish anyway. As soon as the first doofus tried to cuddle, I was gone. Didn't even get mad.

Right around the corner was plenty more 18 inchers, with room to spare.

The one who pissed me off was in the daytime on the funny rocks. My kid had just landed a bone so even though it was not crowded, with miles of room, I end up with some newb camped half a cast to my right. Of course a big feed goes off right in front of him - right where I been casting all morning,  and now can't. Cost me a slam.

6 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It a shame there is no public access. The breakwalls were built with Federal dollars to control flooding and storm damage. 

It's probably the only Federal Project in RI without any public access. There should be access along the entire stretch. Not sure is this is true or not, but I heard there was a natural opening to the west a little bit. They close off that, built the new breachway. Those homes along the breakwall became water front properties. Also it's a navigated waterway. There shouldn't be any docks hindering boat navigation.  Money talks, where we can't walk.  

Cool vid! I want to buy a drone so bad!