luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2019

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Wind was howling pretty good last night, not a bump. Hit up an inlet this morning, only managed a couple of small throwbacks on paddle tails. Didn’t see much action after that.

1005191315e.jpg.d2763e32b9053d3eb39c9d5f0fcfd5fd.jpg1005191316.jpg.b7b0c0b6f199139a28306d097400b8f8.jpgWouldn't want to be on the southern side of this! Not sure if there will be a path once the tide goes out given the mix of sod, mud, and roots blocking the way. I wonder if anyone is down on the hook now. 

Yeah it was doable at this morning's low, but still looked iffy so I stayed north. The tree remains are quite a bit more exposed than they were a day or two ago and some are very solid. I was worried about clearence, but you'd probably be ok in a higher clearence truck.

I fished DE through the wind on Friday and Saturday(10/4-5).  It wasn't a "fishing trip", but we did get out on the beach for a little while. To my surprise, there were fish constantly biting.  There were all small blues, the biggest being ~14".  All fish were caught using mullet rigs.

My brother and I fished AI/MD Thursday through Sunday.  It was absolutely beautiful out there.  We caught Blues all day with a few sharks and skates mixed in to keep us busy and happy.  On Thursday, we were alone way south on the island when another fisherman showed up on the outgoing tide @3:30, he hooked a huge Red and fought it all the way down to where I was fishing.  He landed it on the beach and then lost it to a wave when his shock leader broke off. I know he was upset, but it was a great fish and I was happy he got it to shore.

I caught one unexpected fish :)

thumbnail_imagejpeg_0.jpg

1 hour ago, BLilly said:

Just wondering if spot are still being caught with regularity off of the surf? Coming down this weekend and wondering what the bait situation is looking like.

I'm more worried about the weather situation.  2 weeks ago there were plenty in the back on small bloodworm . Lots of pinfish too. Scattered in the front. I cast net some mullet and bunker in the creeks fairly easily tho. I doubt anyone will have any fresh bait for sale  before sunday . Calling for 9-11 ft seas till Friday at least.  Hopefully the forcast is Wrong 

5 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

My brother and I fished AI/MD Thursday through Sunday.  It was absolutely beautiful out there.  We caught Blues all day with a few sharks and skates mixed in to keep us busy and happy.  On Thursday, we were alone way south on the island when another fisherman showed up on the outgoing tide @3:30, he hooked a huge Red and fought it all the way down to where I was fishing.  He landed it on the beach and then lost it to a wave when his shock leader broke off. I know he was upset, but it was a great fish and I was happy he got it to shore.

I caught one unexpected fish :)

thumbnail_imagejpeg_0.jpg

I was up from both of you in Black Ford.  Like I told him who BTW moderates this site but won’t mention any names lol “If you touch the leader that counts.  You were gonna let the fish go anyways”  I could feel his pain.  Better to have hooked and lost Than never hooked at all like me. Fish or no fish was fun to be there.

9 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I'm more worried about the weather situation.  2 weeks ago there were plenty in the back on small bloodworm . Lots of pinfish too. Scattered in the front. I cast net some mullet and bunker in the creeks fairly easily tho. I doubt anyone will have any fresh bait for sale  before sunday . Calling for 9-11 ft seas till Friday at least.  Hopefully the forcast is Wrong 

Yeah I saw the wind is supposed to be kickin' the rest of the week over there. We're doing the oysterfest this weekend, so I'd be surprised if I get a line wet before Sunday anyways. We're down for all of next week, so plenty of time for the ocean to calm down...glad to hear bait's still hanging around in the cove, you never know this time of year.

13 hours ago, BLilly said:

Just wondering if spot are still being caught with regularity off of the surf? Coming down this weekend and wondering what the bait situation is looking like.

Spot are still around and tons of mullet in the surf

3 hours ago, BLilly said:

Yeah I saw the wind is supposed to be kickin' the rest of the week over there. We're doing the oysterfest this weekend, so I'd be surprised if I get a line wet before Sunday anyways. We're down for all of next week, so plenty of time for the ocean to calm down...glad to hear bait's still hanging around in the cove, you never know this time of year.

yep il be down there.  Il let you know about bait.  The boy usually gets plenty in the cove

Sunday, fished my way from DC to Rehoboth stopping along the way in Lewes and another spot until I got to IRI.  Only managed 1 small blue at IRI.  Tons of mullet that was getting blown up every so often.  Saw decent sized blue fish coming out of the water hitting bait-pretty cool to see.

Cast netted a bunch of mullet and fished the beach in Rehoboth yesterday 11-2.  5 rockfish (16-20in) and 10+ bluefish (8-14in) all on the mullet rig.   Rockfish looked to be resident, they were really white and the stripes were washed out.  The blue fish were fun and a stinger hook on the mullet rig helped the hook ups-even a few double headers on the mullet rig. 

Eduardo King  mentioned, it seemed like every cast resulted in at least a bite off, if not a caught fish. 

For me, quantity over quality was a fun way to spend the morning. 

IMG_20191007_113427.jpg

IMG_20191007_111434.jpg