TM battery location

Rate this topic

aae0130

So I have a Duranautic 16 side console with a 30 hp Evinrude. I want to add a bow mounted saltwater trolling motor. Mostly  for the spot lock feature. The boat has a starting battery between the back bench and transom. It is wired to the charging unit of the motor. There is also a 6 gallon tank back there so no more room there. 

I am am not sure where to put the deep cycle trolling battery. The pilot seat is on a box with a top hatch. I was thinking about putting one in there and mounting an onboard charger to make life easy. The battery is probably going to weigh about 50/60 pounds so I’m a little apprehensive about that weight plus me on one side of the boat when I’m driving. The opposite side has a livewell so there is no where to really put it except out in the open and in the way. With it out in the open I probably couldn’t have the onboard charger. If I have to lug the battery in and out to charge it I probably wouldn’t do it. My back is not what it used to be. 

Any ideas or experience with these boats? Will the extra weight on the console side kill the ride?

9C9B5E02-91DC-4138-95CC-C15DACB28E7D.jpeg.bdd9bf6eb1d142a1ffaa9179e764ea55.jpeg

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

I have no real world experience with your set up.  However,  I would think the trolling motor would weigh similar to the battery, so if the trolling motor lays along the port side of the bow when up, it would balance out he battery where you intend to put it on the starboard side..

I have a deep cycle  battery where your starting battery is on a similar boat, but my motor is not electric start. I also have tiller steering, so I'm sitting on the stern seat when I run the boat.  I mounted a bow mount trolling motor and ran power up under the floor to  a plug in the bow.  i've never noticed any list in the boat that raised issues either under way or when using the trolling motor

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

9 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

I would think puting battery between livewell and back bench on left side would help counter the weight that  you would have added  from  the trolling motor off the front.. or possibly where the orange bag is of your already ass heavy

This, or move the starting battery to the other side and put it under the seat

Off topic, and not sure if the SW trolling motors have a quick detach mount option, but I picked one up for my bow mount that I use in fresh water.  I put a plug on the end of the wiring and mounted a power receptacle up under the bow.  I really like being able to pull the TM off and on in 30 seconds depending upon the type of fishing I plan to do that day.  Only thing that remains on the bow with the trolling motor off is a plastic mounting pad

Also, is the TM you are looking at 12 volts?  If I recall when I got mine, it couldn't really go above about 55 pounds of thrust before they moved up to 24 volts, and then you need 2 batteries wired in series.....

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

1 hour ago, jkrock said:

Off topic, and not sure if the SW trolling motors have a quick detach mount option, but I picked one up for my bow mount that I use in fresh water.  I put a plug on the end of the wiring and mounted a power receptacle up under the bow.  I really like being able to pull the TM off and on in 30 seconds depending upon the type of fishing I plan to do that day.  Only thing that remains on the bow with the trolling motor off is a plastic mounting pad

Also, is the TM you are looking at 12 volts?  If I recall when I got mine, it couldn't really go above about 55 pounds of thrust before they moved up to 24 volts, and then you need 2 batteries wired in series.....

Jk.   Yeah I’m looking at a similar tm. Salt water design 55 lbs 12 volt. I plan to also use a plug and a quick disconnect mount. Without being able to take off the motor the boat cover probably wouldn’t last long. 

2 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

I would think puting battery between livewell and back bench on left side would help counter the weight that  you would have added  from  the trolling motor off the front.. or possibly where the orange bag is of your already ass heavy

The boat rides great in the current configuration. Behind the livewell was actually my first choice but then I have no where I can put the charger and keep it wired in. Maybe  I could put the charger in the seat compartment or under the console and run the wires thru the floor to the battery? 

Im hoping not to kill the ride because it is balanced out really good now.

Edited by aae0130

7 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

You can try to temporarily place the motor up there then move your battery around to find the weight distribution you like just be careful not to let the TM fall into the water 

I dont have any of it yet. The location will dictate the group size of the battery. I’m still in the planning stage. 

I was thinking about taking a run with some water jugs in the boat that I could move around. 6 one gallon jugs should be about as heavy as a battery (48 lbs). 

I am really hoping to be able to get it into the seat box. Then I can hook up a Minn Kota onboard 10 amp charger. This way I can just plug in the boat to charge in the drive way. 

5 mins ago, aae0130 said:

I dont have any of it yet. The location will dictate the group size of the battery. I’m still in the planning stage. 

I was thinking about taking a run with some water jugs in the boat that I could move around. 6 one gallon jugs should be about as heavy as a battery (48 lbs). 

I am really hoping to be able to get it into the seat box. Then I can hook up a Minn Kota onboard 10 amp charger. This way I can just plug in the boat to charge in the drive way. 

Most side console boats I've rigged all have battery holders in with the crank battery location. If you're really dedicated you can turn your batteries sideways and fish the wire all the way from stern to bow keeping the TM on the port side. Not sure how the boat is setup but it seems you can hide your charger under those gray panels in the back and run your wires out. Can also opt for one of these so you only need to plug the extension cord in and go

download (2).png

Lower the amps the better for the batteries espcially for agm and gel.  Otherwise you will cook them.takes longer time to charge them but you get a longer battery shelf life. So you will need to pair the battery with your charger you buy. Not all will charge any battery .....general the bigger group size will have a longer duration for charge but give you more weight -size to.   Normal  s@m$ club will have Duracell agm on sale during any holiday for  around 100$.  

Was planning to get a Minn Kotta onboard charger which can charge at 10 amps. The lighter version they sell is 6 amps. My previous boat was a 13 foot and I had a 45 lb thrust motor guide on it. For that I had a group 24 age from West Marine.  I had that sitting in the bow and I would take it out to charge it. I have portable charger that was 2/4/6 selectable. I was using 6 on that one and it lasted. It would also maintain if I left it on but I was always afraid to just leave it plugged in because the garage is part of the house. That’s why I want an onboard. It’s safer.....I keep the boat in the drive way.

Edited by aae0130

I use trickle chargers and have a special charger for lithium batteries. I leave 5 batteries charging in the garage for 6 mos and have for 10 yrs.  Just make sure the chargers are high quality and 1.5 to 2 amp trickles.  I use deltran and Ctek chargers.

• 2 weeks later...

So West Marine had a sale on batteries that ends tomorrow. Yesterday I bought a 92 amp AGM that is about 60 lbs. I placed it on the deck where the orange tackle box is (refer to previous picture). I measured the tongue weight before I put it in and it was 125 lbs. The tongue weight went up where if I were to put the tm on the bow I would be way over. I ended up placing it behind the livewell which is just in front of the axle. Perfect spot because it only changed the tongue weight by a pound. Now I have ample padding to put the tm on the bow. I’m ordering a Dual Pro sportsman 10 amp charger that will go on the inside face of the bench near it. Now I can just put the cover on and run the extension to it. Perfect!

Interesting note: I’m a buy American type. 

West Marine batteries are made in the USA by EastPenn.

Dual Pro chargers are made in the USA. (Minn Kota is not)

Motorguide Trolling motors are made in the USA (again, Minn Kota is not)

Edited by aae0130

Don't leave the  boat cover on when charging .bad thing to do. You want a vented area.  Fumes can bud up  from the batteries while charging and from  your gas tank... when batteries charge they create heat and basically cook the battery which will discharge fumes.... Wet cell your suppose to pop the caps because of this. Agms are sealed ...  So you need to also see what type of  battery's your charger can charge not all can charge agm wet  and gel or vs vs... hope this makes sense long day... You need a amp breaker for your tm.btw