The Salty Fisherman

Grease for Packing Reels

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Thank you Mark Ham for the very informative explanation. But I have a question. Does anyone cut the grease with some type of oil for other areas inside the reel that require thinner lubrication? If so where about a on the reel do you do this?   I own a vs 250 and Shimano sustain. I plan on servicing both soon myself. Thanks in advance. 

11 hours ago, B.Casa said:

Thank you Mark Ham for the very informative explanation. But I have a question. Does anyone cut the grease with some type of oil for other areas inside the reel that require thinner lubrication? If so where about a on the reel do you do this?   I own a vs 250 and Shimano sustain. I plan on servicing both soon myself. Thanks in advance. 

I wouldn't go near the Sustain with grease. Certainly not in the way it was talked about in this thread. 

Just a touch on the gears IMO. 

11 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

I wouldn't go near the Sustain with grease. Certainly not in the way it was talked about in this thread. 

Just a touch on the gears IMO. 

Ok thanks for the heads up 

The grease is offered also in different NLGI grades.The  vast majority are in NLGI 2 but can be tried NLGI 1 or even 0 for lighter application. 

Here's what worked for me and all the reels l serviced over [20 years] now almost 30 years posted this in 2011 0n SOL.

Soon as you turn the gears that excess grease will be pushed aside and just hang out, waste of grease and harder to clean in the next service. Just enough to cover the teeth on the gear surfaces backside of the slider and main gear shaft, lite coats.

Learn how to make your grease. You can make a summer and winter blend by adding more oil for the winter and less oil for the summer.

[1] one small tub Valvoline [red]

[2] one-quart lite hydraulic oil [automotive power steering fluid]

[3] mix 2 part oil 1 part grease [start 50-50] cordless drill Allen key [chuck key and start mixing] once you get the blend you like you will never use anything else, and the best part you will save a lot of money buy a new plug.

You don't need more than what is showing in the picture.

DSC04096.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

super lube is my go to grease. I put a lot in my Penn spinfishers, not packed but dam close. The reason is the Penn reels will allow the spool to rotate a bit while casting and putting about 75-80% capacity slows that down so it never rotates too much on a bailess set up ( line roller needs to stay down at 6 O clock etc..

Edited by TimS
ebay link

Synthetic lubes are the way to go with fishing reels. They don't dry out or get gummy like petroleum  lubes  and have better roll presssure when dealing with gears that mesh together. Keeping the metal parts from rubbing against each other via an oil or grease film is important to stop wear and cheap grease will not do that . Amsoil makes great synthetic lubes as well as  Super lube and Yamaha lube . Don't waste your money and the internal parts of your reel on cheap petroleum  based lube.

3 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

anyone here have any thoughts on using lubriplate[the creamy beige stuff]?

HH

Yes,  folks including me use lubriplate 130 on Van Staal and other spinning reels 

On 2.3.2020. at 3:24 AM, Mark Ham said:

The grease is offered also in different NLGI grades.The  vast majority are in NLGI 2 but can be tried NLGI 1 or even 0 for lighter application. 

Or even 00, for all sliding surfaces.

I do that.