The Salty Fisherman

Grease for Packing Reels

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Looking for a good all around grease to use when packing my reels.  Preferably one that I can purchase at Home Depot.  Also, I’m new to this.  Are there any greases that I should stay away from? Thanks for any help.

Salty

Edited by The Salty Fisherman

1. i assume that your packing grease, for salt water use.

2. and that you going to take off and repack as needed.

3. any cheap grease should work.

4. tube of yamaha / or blue marine grease should last a very very long time.

7 mins ago, avet4life said:

1. i assume that your packing grease, for salt water use.

2. and that you going to take off and repack as needed.

3. any cheap grease should work.

4. tube of yamaha / or blue marine grease should last a very very long time.

That's exactly what I am planning on doing.  Thanks for the help.  Heading out now to pick some up.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, The Salty Fisherman said:

Looking for a good all around grease to use when packing my reels.  Preferably one that I can purchase at Home Depot.  Also, I’m new to this.  Are there any greases that I should stay away from? Thanks for any help.

Salty

Hope depot does not carry reel grease.

Too much grease can definitely make the reel get very stiff especially in the colder weather. I had too much in my vs200 and had to heat it up in my truck before I could fish it. I’m now running oil/ grease blend

5 hours ago, rreelman said:

What handi2 said--rreelman

Ok, educate me why super lube over Yama lube blue. ? Why is it better ? . I can be convinced to change.:laugh:

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Ok, educate me why super lube over Yama lube blue. ? Why is it better ? . I can be convinced to change.:laugh:

Super Lube is made somewhere in NY state, by a petrochemical company, has no obscure origin like most of other products, if this matter for someone.

It's slippery as freezing rain, I put it on a Bauer fly reel drag and adios friction, I had to clean it and use synthetic oil also from Super Lube.

Dielectric....can be used to protect the car battery contacts from oxidation.

Food safe....if wife's bread machine start making too much noise...

High temperature resistant....I work daily with electrical spatula for wax modelling , this has temperature indicator and I took various greases on it and raise the temperature...Well, Super Lube start evaporating at some temperature way above Permatex grease for car brakes, so since I used on calliper pins and brake pads....

It's white..ish ..transparent and don't stain clothes...

The price is very reasonable, I bought two big tubes in the last 15 years, I still have a small amount from the last one...

Forgot something...100 % synthetic , no damages for rubber, silicone or plastic...

Since I watched some Japanese engineers doing maintenance for some half million $ machinery , I just paint grease with a brush, I don't pack anything and don't leave useless grease around friction zone...

I know about Yamaha grease only that is blue...