Bob fishhead Sproul

What year 5th gen 4Runner?

18 posts in this topic

Well I've pretty much decided to NOT seek out a low mileage 4th gen 4Runner, say 2007-2009 vintage.  My 2006 SR5 has been very good to me these 270k miles, but I fear it may only last another 100k or so ;)

I suspect that any year 5th gen will be fine, but I'm focusing on 2014 or 2015 in order to snag something with <100K for 25k give or take.

Question #1 - Is there any 5th gen year to avoid for some reason?  I think they did some improvements after 2013, but I forget what they were.

Question #2 - I'd really like to snag the dark blue, but will accept black (like my current one) if needed.  So why am I mostly finding white, silver, & grey available.  Did they just make it mostly in those colors or did the buyers of those darker colored ones just decide to keep them?

Year is less important than owner.

Alot of newer vehicles are suffering from oil change intervals.  Folks who wait 9-10k miles to change oil, I'd avoid those.  Solid history of good maintenance.  I'd even overlook a car accident over improper maintenance.

USe the severe duty / taxi maintenance chart, that chart is designed for people who will keep a car 200-300k.

A very easy line in the sand.........   Cheap tires on car, not maintained.  Good rubber on a car, well maintained.   Very rarely does a used car history vary from this......   Also, outside edges of tire worn....  Car is abused.....   Look for signs of care......  someone fixing paint chips with repair pen, jackpot......

The 5th gens are all good. I would worry more about rust than anything else. I have a 2017 and the frame is already getting rusty.  Too much road salt in New England. 

2 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Year is less important than owner.

Alot of newer vehicles are suffering from oil change intervals.  Folks who wait 9-10k miles to change oil, I'd avoid those.  Solid history of good maintenance.  I'd even overlook a car accident over improper maintenance.

USe the severe duty / taxi maintenance chart, that chart is designed for people who will keep a car 200-300k.

A very easy line in the sand.........   Cheap tires on car, not maintained.  Good rubber on a car, well maintained.   Very rarely does a used car history vary from this......   Also, outside edges of tire worn....  Car is abused.....   Look for signs of care......  someone fixing paint chips with repair pen, jackpot......

Good insight,solid advice.

Solid common sense advise guys! 

BTW, Brian has deeper pockets than me ;)

I use synthetic oil, and I have for 35 years. Oil changes only at inspection time regardless of the mileage. Many of my vehicles had 150 to 270k miles at trade in time. Maybe I am just fortunate :)

Car color has never been a priority for me but I want to stay with a dark color now and the blue is just awesome! 

152583d1428387146-nautical-blue-owners-post-your-pics-here-img_0762-jpg.jpg.8cefa4ac9bbac5801ed64bceb4e3f9c1.jpg

All of my Beach Buggies have been new and thoroughly rust proofed before they ever saw sand or winter roads. Unfortunately, the dealer ripped me off on the rust proofing of my my third, a 2004 4-Runner, doing, as another dealer put it, a "ghost spray".  I trusted the service manager, whom we had known since 1989, to the extent of following him thru 3 dealers to service our vehicles. I had my 2016 5th gen rustproofed by the same guy who did my 1989 Jeep Cherokee, but made sure to inspect it thoroughly when he was done, and found some areas he missed, which he corrected for free. After three years, and rinsing the undercarriage after every beach excursion, there is no sign of corrosion - fingers crossed.   By the way, my 4th gen was white and a real magnet for the black flyes at IBSP in the summer - the dark blue 5th gen is significantly less so.

0803171758.jpg

On 9/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Well I've pretty much decided to NOT seek out a low mileage 4th gen 4Runner, say 2007-2009 vintage.  My 2006 SR5 has been very good to me these 270k miles, but I fear it may only last another 100k or so ;)

I suspect that any year 5th gen will be fine, but I'm focusing on 2014 or 2015 in order to snag something with <100K for 25k give or take.

Question #1 - Is there any 5th gen year to avoid for some reason?  I think they did some improvements after 2013, but I forget what they were.

Question #2 - I'd really like to snag the dark blue, but will accept black (like my current one) if needed.  So why am I mostly finding white, silver, & grey available.  Did they just make it mostly in those colors or did the buyers of those darker colored ones just decide to keep them?

I’m actually looking for an older 4 runner with about 270,000 miles.  Do you want to sell your truck?  

49 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

I’m actually looking for an older 4 runner with about 270,000 miles.  Do you want to sell your truck?  

Ya know, I actually had a thought of holding onto it or selling it on my own.  They hold their value well, except when the dealer is buying it from you!

31 mins ago, FlatWing said:

Sweet - let me know if you want any tips for beach use customization

Will do thanks :)