Sixguns

Delaware River Advice

6 posts in this topic

Doing a river trip this Saturday, 9/28. 

Renting a kayak for Smithfield to Gap area. 

Targeting SMB. It’s a 6 mile trip. The water is skinny and pretty clear. There are some deeper holes and small islands along the way. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

i know the area above smithfield better than below. and based on that i'd say its actually worth it to spend some time between tocks island and the southern end of poxono if you have it. theres some pretty good holes and water from the southern end of poxono to tocks island. that faster skinny water, which there is a lot of between your put in and take out doesn't hold a lot of fish this time of year.

not sure what you plan on throwing and i'm not a bait guy at all, but in the areas where that skinny water slows down a bit and adds a few feet of depth, you can't go wrong with a crayfish or hellgrammite drifted through those lies. 

its a beautiful stretch of river. enjoy :th: 

Thanks for the info.  I will be throwing lures and such.  No bait on this trip.

I know of a couple of deeper holes and such and will focus on those areas.  

Again, Appreciate the help.  And yes, a beautiful stretch of river...

Always had my best luck trolling floating rapallas through the rapids. Sinking ones would snag too often.

Good luck Mark.  I used to float from dingmans ferry to the gap and camp out over night on an island.

Many moons ago.  Wall Pack Bend is very scenic. Hard to believe it is in New Jersey. 

We once camped at Worthington this time of year and I got out on the river in our canoe. Crystal clear water but nothing would bite. I had four foot long Pike give a rubber crayfish a follow, but that was about it. Saw big schools of large catfish.