CrappieAttitude

Headed to the Outer Banks

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Headed down to the Corolla, NC area October 8 -15.  Any sense of what might be hitting from the surf?  Also plan to hit the (shorter) Avalon Pier and possibly the Kitty Hawk pier.  Hoping the big storms stay away!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most of these are south of Corolla but should give you some idea:

Red Drum
25 SEPTEMBER 2019 (PM)
September 26, 2019
Lots of blue fish are being caught out on The Point along with some small pompano and puppy drum. Our very own Mike here at The Red Drum Tackle Shop caught a 1lb 6oz sea mullet out by the jetty’s this evening.

Frisco Rod & Gun
Avon had reports of spot and sea mullet. At the Point in Buxton there were bluefish, spot and a speckled trout caught. Frisco and Hatteras had bluefish and sea mullet.

The inshore boats had catches of speckled trout, sea mullet and bluefish.

TWs
Surf Fishing Report:
Plenty Bluefish at the Point the last several days with some Spot and Sea Mullet and Trout along the beaches. Small Sea Mullet, Spot, Trout and Pompano are Up and down our north beaches.

Edited by hhager23
correction

KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. - A section of the Avalon Pier collapsed during Hurricane Dorian.

The Avalon Pier confirmed the damage on Facebook, posting a picture of the pier with a battered, torn American flag still flying off a flagpole. "Well...we are a tad bit shorter today," the pier's post read.

The near-700-foot long pier lost about 280 feet, according to Cory Piddington, who said he'd worked on the pier in the past.

The pier has been in Kill Devil Hills for about 60 years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's whats catching much closer... (and they ARE fishing off the shortened pier)!

The Red Drum have started showing up for the season!

A 44" red drum was caught and released Sunday at Jennette's pier in Nags head.

They have been catching small gray trout, spot, croaker, pompano, sea mullet and sand perch

in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Cephalopholis

We were in Duck a few weeks ago and getting mostly spot and croaker, though my buddy got a few short puppy drum and a blowfish. Small blues were around but we didn’t get any. If you have kids around and just want action, 1/2 inch pieces of bloodworms on a bottom rig will get it done.

Just get yourself a sea striker pompano rig, get a few of them. With some finger mullet. Use the dull side of knife, take scales off, filet bait and use each side (pompano rig is 2 hooks). Or shrimp with or without shell. 

Enjoy. I catch everything with this rig. From puppies, sea mullet, trout, pompano, spot, blues you name it.

2 hours ago, Retainer said:

Just get yourself a sea striker pompano rig, get a few of them. With some finger mullet. Use the dull side of knife, take scales off, filet bait and use each side (pompano rig is 2 hooks). Or shrimp with or without shell. 

Enjoy. I catch everything with this rig. From puppies, sea mullet, trout, pompano, spot, blues you name it.

Pick up a bag of fishbites fake bloodworm strips, put a small piece on each hook as well. It's tough to get onto/off a hook but often times it'll stay behind even after the other bait has been picked off. I also like using squid strips with the piece of fake bloodworm, the red on white is a nice contrast that seems to work pretty well. 

14 hours ago, yakscientist said:

Pick up a bag of fishbites fake bloodworm strips, put a small piece on each hook as well. It's tough to get onto/off a hook but often times it'll stay behind even after the other bait has been picked off. I also like using squid strips with the piece of fake bloodworm, the red on white is a nice contrast that seems to work pretty well. 

Maybe fishbites but I have never used squid down there. Either fresh mullet or shrimp. 

14 hours ago, hhager23 said:

Pompano love sandfleas. 

True, but they are excellent bait stealers like spot. Plus they aren’t large enough really for a meal, although if we happen to get a few they are good with eggs in the morning.

I have never caught a pompano at OBX and I spend 3-4 weeks each fall and 1-2 weeks each spring.  I usually arrive mid Oct thru mid Nov maybe they are gone by the time I get there or maybe I'm not rigged properly, or fishing properly.

I do use squid for whiting and have caught my biggest Red on a whole squid. Normally I use cut mullet like everyone else.

Caught most in late May and early July in surf on south facing beaches on sand fleas. Also my go to bait for flounder,