fishless

Best brewery in NJ

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2019 at 0:05 PM, Jettyhound said:

Flying Fish have a weird one called Salt & Sea. 

WARNING: Of the guys I drink beer with, I'm the only one who likes this stuff.  I had 2 guys dump it out on the beach after 3 or 4 swigs.

I was just going to buy this. Sours are hot right now and most of them aren't good, but when done right, they are definitely good. Hidden Sands has an orange sour that smells like orange soda but doesn't taste super sugary like that hard soda stuff.

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

This is not a dig, but I really think it's an age thing. People my age and younger are all into the craft stuff now and have no shame in just taking whatever. I think you're less likely to find older guys into the crafts. 

Just 15 years ago, all the beers I was drinking were safe, no matter who was there. 

I'm younger and I'll drink anything basically. There's a time and a place for a busch light and there's a time and a place for a DIPA. I complain as much about "craft snobs" as I do about folks who won't try anything new.

Now these were beers...

The G. Krueger Brewing Co. operated in Newark from 1934 to 1961. Krueger goes back to 1853 when it was known as Braun & Laible.  I remember the Krueger slogan, proving that they had a great slogan or that I have a great memory here goes "Some pronounce it Kreeger, some pronounce it Kruger, experts pronounce it best".

The Ballantine Brewery operated in Newark from 1930 to 1940.  When Mel Allen broadcast the N.Y. Yankee games, he referred to a home run as "A Ballantine Blast".

The Joseph Hensler Brewing Co. had a long run in Newark from 1855 to 1958.

Does anyone remember Feigenspan PON?  What did PON stand for?  All together now, Pride Of Newark.

Here are a few of the lesser known breweries that produced in Newark Oldburger Beer, United Brewing Co. of Newark, The Eagle Brewing Co., Lyon & Sons Brewing Co. and the Union Brewing Co, of Newark.

Now if Newark did not have enough breweries to keep Newark's thirsts quenched, there was Bohemia Beer 1910-1920 in Elizabeth, Hygeia Brewing Co. 1910-1920 in Passaic, Lembeck & Betz 1910-1920 in Jersey City, and Peter Hauck's Harrison Brewery in Harrison.  There is one more that there isn't much written about but I doubt if the survived WWll with the name Rising Sun, listed as an Elizabeth brewery.

3 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I'm younger and I'll drink anything basically. There's a time and a place for a busch light and there's a time and a place for a DIPA. I complain as much about "craft snobs" as I do about folks who won't try anything new.

Younger than who :squid:

I'm kidding but that's my point. Younger people have grown up with good beer and will drink anything that's free. 

41 mins ago, Scallywag said:

This is not a dig, but I really think it's an age thing. People my age and younger are all into the craft stuff now and have no shame in just taking whatever. I think you're less likely to find older guys into the crafts. 

Just 15 years ago, all the beers I was drinking were safe, no matter who was there. 

Valid point!  I'm the youngest in the family and everyone cracks on me for having that awful crap beer when I bring it in the house.  Fine by me.  However we do have some who just grab a beer to drink for the sake of drinking.  So now I keep the good stuff in the spare fridge.  At $15 to $18 a Four Pack I'm not wasting it on a Bud Light fan. 

8 mins ago, fishless said:

Valid point!  I'm the youngest in the family and everyone cracks on me for having that awful crap beer when I bring it in the house.  Fine by me.  However we do have some who just grab a beer to drink for the sake of drinking.  So now I keep the good stuff in the spare fridge.  At $15 to $18 a Four Pack I'm not wasting it on a Bud Light fan. 

I try once. They don't like it, that on them... They can try and like someone else's beer after that. 

39 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Place we stopped for lunch yesterday had Kane El Dorado Punch on draft. It felt like winning.

In the city? Kane seems to have a big push up there. 

Just now, MitchellNJ said:

Jersey City

Got ya. Yeah, there too. 

I see Head High and Over Head on taps around us all the time but rarely anything else. 

2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Dogfish makes a similar beer called Sea Quench Ale. I love me some salty beers! Best part is you don't have a bunch of dooshnozzles taking all your beer at a party. 

Westbrook Gose is probably the best salty beer I've had. 

I went to Source Brewing in Colts neck last weekend. The one bartender was a total dick and the beer was ok at best. Only options were IPAs and a Pilsner. The IPA I got tasted like sweet grapefruit juice. I like grapefruit essence in my IPA but this was like pure fruit juice. 

Lightly salted from last wave brewing in point pleasant very similiar and delicious

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

Got ya. Yeah, there too. 

I see Head High and Over Head on taps around us all the time but rarely anything else. 

Joey who owns Boyle’s in Monmouth Beach is a big Kane fan. Usually has different Kane  on tap. It’s a stones throw from me but I never get there. Great neighborhood bar.

Edited by JMB

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Joey who owns Boyle’s in Monmouth Beach is a big Kane fan. Usually has different Kane  on tap. It’s a stones throw from me but I never get there. Great neighborhood bar.

I'll have to remember that. Maloney's usually has a good selection too. I was in Monmouth Beach on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, SPCFudgie said:

Lightly salted from last wave brewing in point pleasant very similiar and delicious

I'll look out for it. 

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

I'll have to remember that. Maloney's usually has a good selection too. I was in Monmouth Beach on Saturday. 

You never call.:cry: