fishless

Best brewery in NJ

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

I used to brew my own starting in the early 90's to explore different options other than the Big 3.  Who knew it would explode into what it is today.  I don't brew anymore cuz there's so much out there to try.  I'd be happy to pass on my gear to someone interested in giving it a go for say a case of something decent.  Its a fun hobby but my time is more limited than it used to be.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fishless said:

I used to brew my own starting in the early 90's to explore different options other than the Big 3.  Who knew it would explode into what it is today.  I don't brew anymore cuz there's so much out there to try.  I'd be happy to pass on my gear to someone interested in giving it a go for say a case of something decent.  Its a fun hobby but my time is more limited than it used to be.   

Me and a bunch of buddies usta brew back in 1980 when we were in high school. We made what we thought was real good IPA's. They likely were not :laugh:

But what did we know ? We were just looking for the most A.C. anyway :beers:

The stuff available to the home brewer now is like NASA vs Star Trek. Light years ahead, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fishless said:

I used to brew my own starting in the early 90's to explore different options other than the Big 3.  Who knew it would explode into what it is today.  I don't brew anymore cuz there's so much out there to try.  I'd be happy to pass on my gear to someone interested in giving it a go for say a case of something decent.  Its a fun hobby but my time is more limited than it used to be.   

Good on you, Bob. I too have no use for my old stuff... Although most of it has seen use for other things. 

3 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Me and a bunch of buddies usta brew back in 1980 when we were in high school. We made what we thought was real good IPA's. They likely were not :laugh:

But what did we know ? We were just looking for the most A.C. anyway :beers:

The stuff available to the home brewer now is like NASA vs Star Trek. Light years ahead, lol. 

What were you up against...? Balantine lol

 

It probably was pretty good in comparison. 

 

Btw, you guys are old :laugh:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Good on you, Bob. I too have no use for my old stuff... Although most of it has seen use for other things. 

What were you up against...? Balantine lol

 

It probably was pretty good in comparison. 

 

Btw, you guys are old :laugh:

 

 

 

Balantine, lol. There was some of that in my old mans' basement fridge. Lotta Schlitz , and :upck: Carling Black Label. Now that stuff was nasty.

In fact, if that was the last beer I ever tried I probably would have ben off beer for good.

But then someone left some decent stuff for me to sneak, and well.... I've had a few beers since then :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Balantine, lol. There was some of that in my old mans' basement fridge. Lotta Schlitz , and :upck: Carling Black Label. Now that stuff was nasty.

In fact, if that was the last beer I ever tried I probably would have ben off beer for good.

But then someone left some decent stuff for me to sneak, and well.... I've had a few beers since then :D 

 

Never even heard of Carling. 

 

Balantine was actually re-released a few years ago. Effing hipsters! 

 

My dad drank Coors Light. I asked him once why he drinks that when I saw a pic of him with a Heinecken. His response was "Because I had you, and now I'm poor!". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Balantine, lol. There was some of that in my old mans' basement fridge. Lotta Schlitz , and :upck: Carling Black Label. Now that stuff was nasty.

In fact, if that was the last beer I ever tried I probably would have ben off beer for good.

But then someone left some decent stuff for me to sneak, and well.... I've had a few beers since then :D 

 

 

Carling Black Label was our beer of choice back in the early 80's. Then, they switched the can from the heavy aluminum red can to a cheap, thinner aluminum white can and the beer sucked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, MikeMc said:

 

Carling Black Label was our beer of choice back in the early 80's. Then, they switched the can from the heavy aluminum red can to a cheap, thinner aluminum white can and the beer sucked. 

old English 800 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, crazybellringer said:

Any of these places make a good sour beer?

Flying Fish have a weird one called Salt & Sea. 

WARNING: Of the guys I drink beer with, I'm the only one who likes this stuff.  I had 2 guys dump it out on the beach after 3 or 4 swigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, JMB said:

I am a Kane and Icarus fan. I also enjoy Cape May’s double IPA, I think it’s Coastal Evacuation. That place we went to, Screaming Hill is fun and has solid beer.

I've had some very good ones at Screaming Hill as well.  Nice folks too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 0:05 PM, Jettyhound said:

Flying Fish have a weird one called Salt & Sea. 

WARNING: Of the guys I drink beer with, I'm the only one who likes this stuff.  I had 2 guys dump it out on the beach after 3 or 4 swigs.

Dogfish makes a similar beer called Sea Quench Ale. I love me some salty beers! Best part is you don't have a bunch of dooshnozzles taking all your beer at a party. 

 

Westbrook Gose is probably the best salty beer I've had. 

 

I went to Source Brewing in Colts neck last weekend. The one bartender was a total dick and the beer was ok at best. Only options were IPAs and a Pilsner. The IPA I got tasted like sweet grapefruit juice. I like grapefruit essence in my IPA but this was like pure fruit juice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 0:05 PM, Jettyhound said:

Flying Fish have a weird one called Salt & Sea. 

WARNING: Of the guys I drink beer with, I'm the only one who likes this stuff.  I had 2 guys dump it out on the beach after 3 or 4 swigs.

That's a Sour, increasing in popularity of late but definitely not for everyone. 

58 mins ago, Scallywag said:

 Best part is you don't have a bunch of dooshnozzles taking all your beer at a party. 

 

I still find when I go to parties many avoid the craft stuff.  Mostly because they are afraid.  The IPA craze has the common lager guy avoiding anything with a unfamiliar label for fear that there may be something horrendously bitter hiding inside of the funky labeled can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were many breweries in Newark back in the day, Pabst, Piels Bros., Blue Ribbon just to mention a few. They also had their own sponsored baseball teams that became like semi-pro...played in the old Newark Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, fishless said:

That's a Sour, increasing in popularity of late but definitely not for everyone. 

I still find when I go to parties many avoid the craft stuff.  Mostly because they are afraid.  The IPA craze has the common lager guy avoiding anything with a unfamiliar label for fear that there may be something horrendously bitter hiding inside of the funky labeled can. 

This is not a dig, but I really think it's an age thing. People my age and younger are all into the craft stuff now and have no shame in just taking whatever. I think you're less likely to find older guys into the crafts. 

 

Just 15 years ago, all the beers I was drinking were safe, no matter who was there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.