fishless

Best brewery in NJ

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

The problem is, all these breweries are chasing the IPA. Give me a good gose, porter, heff or stout and we will talk.

IPA has run its course.  I get it and they've done it.  It turned into a contest of who can make the most bitter beer.  

Icarus kalishnacoffee is an excellent stout.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kane is the best of any that I have tried.

Carton is ok, really hit or miss depending on what you order. Usually way to crowded for my liking. Also way overpriced at the store. They do some interesting things but they strike out more than they get a hit. That being said, Regular Coffee is one of my favorite beers.

Red Tank has a good vibe but the vibe is a lot better than the beer. 

Jughandle is ok, not terrible, but nothing special.

Belford is also ok, depends on what you order. 

It has been a while since I went to Cape May but both the beers and vibe were good.

Saw a concert at Asbury Park brewing and had a great time. Beers were fine. 

I have heard a lot of great things about Source, both the vibe and beers, but have not been there.

Edited by drumfish213

20 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

IPA has run its course.  I get it and they've done it.  It turned into a contest of who can make the most bitter beer.  

Exactly. 

I have to try kalishnacoffee. Pretty sure you've mentioned it to me before. 

2 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

Kane is the best of any that I have tried.

Carton is ok, really hit or miss depending on what you order. Usually way to crowded for my liking. Also way overpriced at the store. They do some interesting things but they strike out more than they get a hit. That being said, Regular Coffee is one of my favorite beers.

Red Tank has a good vibe but the vibe is a lot better than the beer. 

Jughandle is ok, not terrible, but nothing special.

Belford is also ok, depends on what you order. 

It has been a while since I went to Cape May but both the beers and vibe were good.

Saw a concert at Asbury Park brewing and had a great time. Beers were fine. 

I have heard a lot of great things about Source, both the vibe and beers, but have not been there.

Source and Screaming Hill are playing on the locally sourced, direct from farm thing. It's one thing that will help them when this all comes crashing down. The industry is super saturated and no sustainable. These breweries need to capitalize on what will set them apart. Kane has solid beer that will keep them afloat. 

Just now, Scallywag said:

Source and Screaming Hill are playing on the locally sourced, direct from farm thing. It's one thing that will help them when this all comes crashing down. The industry is super saturated and no sustainable. These breweries need to capitalize on what will set them apart. Kane has solid beer that will keep them afloat. 

That makes sense from the beer perspective. That being said, I think a lot of people (myself included at times) are going for a place to hang out. From what I heard, Source has a good vibe, space, is family friendly, etc. Whether or not the beer is good does not seem to matter much for some people. Red Tank is usually busy, their beer isn't great. They are in a good location which helps them out. 

54 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:
3 hours ago, Scallywag said:

The problem is, all these breweries are chasing the IPA. Give me a good gose, porter, heff or stout and we will talk.

I agree 100% . 

To the Scallys other point, Rinn Duin had to rebrand itself as Tome River  because the marketing wasn't right. I haven't ben since the name change, but I hope they've kept the best recipes alive. Their red ale, and Pota cafe are some all time favorites.

6 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I agree 100% . 

To the Scallys other point, Rinn Duin had to rebrand itself as Tome River  because the marketing wasn't right. I haven't ben since the name change, but I hope they've kept the best recipes alive. Their red ale, and Pota cafe are some all time favorites.

I haven't been there but I have had a few of their beers. I do remember their red being good. They seemed to be going a slightly different direction than most when they came out. 

40 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

That makes sense from the beer perspective. That being said, I think a lot of people (myself included at times) are going for a place to hang out. From what I heard, Source has a good vibe, space, is family friendly, etc. Whether or not the beer is good does not seem to matter much for some people. Red Tank is usually busy, their beer isn't great. They are in a good location which helps them out. 

Oh I agree with you. The point is for how long though? Source also has the distillery right in front of it and Delicious Orchards next door. Source also kept the old farm thing going too and people are into that as well. I used to hang out in breweries before I had kids. People only love $7 beers for so long. 

I purposely avoid Ballast point now because their pricing is BS. They have great beers but when that same Sculpin I was drinking 10 years ago was $10 a six pack and is now $20, they can kiss my ass. 

I know this is going to sound snobby but I've been into beers long before most and definitely before I should have been. I worked in a liquor store when I was 14 and did a lot of sampling. That was 21 years ago. I started hitting bars young too and always looked for the oddball beer on tap. I thought the industry was the coolest thing I had ever seen but now realize it's mostly a fad thing of pop up breweries with washed out recipes. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it still but with the amount of options out there, I can afford to be super picky. Which is why I said they won't last. 

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

Exactly. 

I have to try kalishnacoffee. Pretty sure you've mentioned it to me before. 

Can’t agree here. It may have reached a saturation point but I will never go back to cheap domestics. Had a chance the other day to stop in my favorite brewery Other Half (Brooklyn). The are just a notch above anything in Jersey though Kane is almost there.

2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

I haven't been there but I have had a few of their beers. I do remember their red being good. They seemed to be going a slightly different direction than most when they came out. 

They started out to be different and brewing Irish beer. Not the same as all the rest. A few IPA's, but mostly much lighter stuff. 

Which is what drew me to them. 

I much prefer a one beer that i can drink a few of, than one or two and then I'm done and my palate is shot, and can't really taste my dinner. 

1 hour ago, JMB said:

It may have reached a saturation point but I will never go back to cheap domestics.

There will always be a shelf of cheap domestic in my fridge, in case riff-raff stop by.