fishless

Best brewery in NJ

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

Cape May is hands down the best. 21 beers on tap at any time. Always having great special releases. If you don't like IPAs or fruit beers you won't like them though. The Bog, Crushin' it, The Grove, Cape May IPA are so good.

Hidden Sands is good as well.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

The above statement disqualifies you from any further posts in this discussion.  :stick:

To be fair, I’ve only been to Kane once. Head High is one of my favorites. 

Carton is usually just on the way out of the hook for me, plus half the time I drink there for free. 

There are really so many good breweries in NJ, all over the place. Lone  Eagle in Flemington and Flounder in Hillsborough are good too. 

Not NJ, but just past philly in Ardmore PA is Tired Hands brewery, that place is off the chain.

7 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Cape May is hands down the best. 21 beers on tap at any time. Always having great special releases. If you don't like IPAs or fruit beers you won't like them though. The Bog, Crushin' it, The Grove, Cape May IPA are so good.

Hidden Sands is good as well.

Got introduced to Crushin' this year.  That's one damn good beer.  Captain May is as solid as an IPA can get.  The Bog is a nitch offering that is pretty good but definitely not for everyone.  As ChumSlick mentioned, Spellbound Porter is one of the better ones I've had for that style.  That's a staple I bring to the Fall Fling so if you're interested come to that fling early and grab a taste.  It doesn't last long. 

I am a Kane and Icarus fan. I also enjoy Cape May’s double IPA, I think it’s Coastal Evacuation. That place we went to, Screaming Hill is fun and has solid beer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Up north, Magnify and Buck Hill are both worth trying.

Buck Hill has a deerhunting lodge decor, which might appeal to some of you sportsmen types.  Good stop for on the way back from fishing up around the Delaware Water Gap, food is pretty decent, too.

Edited by camelCase69

31 mins ago, JMB said:

I am a Kane and Icarus fan. I also enjoy Cape May’s double IPA, I think it’s Coastal Evacuation. That place we went to, Screaming Hill is fun and has solid beer.

We should go back soon.  Supposedly their just released Porter is very good.  Right up Juans alley. 

2 hours ago, TinyTrout said:

As of now, Kane is at the top of my list. Carton Brewing and Source Brewing are definitely honorable mentions. I'm planning to visit Little Dog Brewing sometime soon too. 

Been there, got the shirt to prove it. :D 

Owned by a woman who knew our very own Brewroom, rest his soul.

2 hours ago, Harpua said:

If you are a New England IPA fan (ex Heady Topper) then KANE is the place to go. They also do some Belgian styles, Porter's and also come out with limited released cans all the time...it's also great that they have distribution to North Jersey liquor stores....

I'd put Magnify a close second on the same style IPA....

15695149901516223354653526285423.jpg

So, it takes beer to drag you out, huh? 

A lot of good ones mentioned, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Backward Flag in Lacey yet. They also do a lot of work with/for veterans. 

I've gotta throw in another vote for Kane. Personal tastes vary, so everybody is different (this is key), but Kane Head High IPA on draft at the brewery is my favorite IPA of all time, and IPA's are pretty much exclusively what I drink. The balance of sweet to bitterness to aroma is off the charts. I like many of their others too. Great tasting room to visit too. 

Here by me on the Somerset/Hunterdon border we have Lone Eagle in Flemington which for me is hit or miss. They had a really nice hoppy brown but some of their others miss the mark for me. Also I can literally look out my office window as I type this and see Flounder Brewing in Hillsborough. They have some nice beers, and I am happy to keep some of my money local, but its nothing amazing for me.