fishless

Best brewery in NJ

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

It was suggested Kane is the best.  I think they are excellent but others have come up to meet that level.  Ludlum is in the upper echelon.  Brotherhood is making great stuff as well.  Juans in Whiting makes a damn good Porter. 

As of now, Kane is at the top of my list. Carton Brewing and Source Brewing are definitely honorable mentions. I'm planning to visit Little Dog Brewing sometime soon too. 

If you are a New England IPA fan (ex Heady Topper) then KANE is the place to go. They also do some Belgian styles, Porter's and also come out with limited released cans all the time...it's also great that they have distribution to North Jersey liquor stores....

I'd put Magnify a close second on the same style IPA....

15695149901516223354653526285423.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are over a hundred breweries in NJ. A lot of good beer being produced all over. Still Kane is tops for me but Magnify has been making some killer IPAs for years. Icarus is solid. Demented is supposed to be incredible. Carton is....well Carton.

A lot of just okay stuff also. Not a knock on what they do but places like Red Tank, Jughandle, Asbury Park, etc. Stopped in at The Source and had one of each Wit they were pouring. Very good but just not my style. Will go back at some point for some of their other offerings.

Edited by MitchellNJ

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

I have never been to the brewery itself but I haven’t had a bad beer from Cape May brewing yet. Tried 5-6 different ones. Mostly IPAs. 

Cape May has gotten a little too big for their britches in the last few years. Still good, but they used to be better. Slack Tide is better down that way IMO.

I think Carton is better than Kane tbh, but they are both very good. 

Edited by dbech

1 min ago, dbech said:

I think Carton is better than Kane tbh, but they are both very good. 

The above statement disqualifies you from any further posts in this discussion.  :stick:

Most of the ones I've been to are in South Jersey.  Cape May Brewing is good, but the last few times I've been there, I wasn't overly impressed with the selection.  Still good, but I wish they'd switch it up a bit more.  Slack Tide and Ludlam are good, and I've had some great beers from Gusto in North Cape May.  Tuckahoe had some good beers in their taproom when I went.  Honestly, it's rare that I hit a brewery and don't like at least one or two of their beers.

I'd like to hit Kane at some point.  I've had stuff from Carton, which was pretty good.

Carton has gone downhill...for me anyway....used to be a fan of the 077XX. But now that tastes like swill water to me....

I know this one is not in NJ but Industrial Arts Wrench from just over the border in NY is off the charts

NEIPA is all the rage of late.  Took a bit for NJ craft houses to catch on but just about everyone of em has at least 1 offering of this style.  This is Ludlams and so far it's the best one I've had.  A real NEIPA juice bomb.  Disregard the FF label on the glass.  

20190926_124429.jpg

Speaking of NEIPA if that is your favorite style than Icarus is a must stop off.  On any given day they have no less than 5 different variations of this style.  Sometimes as many as 8.

42 mins ago, fishless said:

Juans in Whiting makes a damn good Porter. 

I've really grown fond of the spellbound porter. Didnt know they were local till just now.

15 mins ago, fishless said:

NEIPA is all the rage of late.  Took a bit for NJ craft houses to catch on but just about everyone of em has at least 1 offering of this style.  This is Ludlams and so far it's the best one I've had.  A real NEIPA juice bomb.  Disregard the FF label on the glass.  

20190926_124429.jpg

Looks delicious!

I've not even been there, but a friend of mine that's a big craft guy (I am too) loves Troon.  I've had a couple good ones from Ludlam.  Cape May is meh, so so.  

I prefer the hazy stuff.