Backroads

Help identifying a popper

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

Hurricane , this one didn't swim but sounds like your popper served you well.

WP_20190926_22_04_05_Pro.jpg

Well hot damn! So close! The mouth is definitely different than my grandfather's but I bet you are correct with the brand after seeing this. If you look at my pic the face is much more flat without the "U" shape mouth. Thanks for sharing! 

Closest I can find is this one on eBay. It's also a Hurricane. So it looks like the mystery is solved. I realize there are better plugs out there today than this cheaply made knock off from long ago. It was more of a nostalgic thing for me though. It felt great each time I hooked into a fish with his last plug he fished with, call me sentimental. I seen him at the nursing home the other day and was telling him about one of my recent days standing out in the surf and I caught 12 bass in a row with it, 3 were borderline keepers. It made him smile, which made me smile even more. Thanks for the time and effort gentlemen. It's appreciated! I'll probably grab another SS next time I'm in QL. 

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

Hurricane , this one didn't swim but sounds like your popper served you well.

WP_20190926_22_04_05_Pro.jpg

That is a bottle darter.

You may want to contact a plug maker and have one made that looks like yours but through wired

55 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Not a bottle darter. Its a bottle plug (swimmer). Backroads, I am aware that the head is shaped different, its a different type of plug. I just posted it to  confirm the ID for you in hopes that you might be able to find a replacement with that information. I understand your nostalgic attachment to the plug. I use some of my grandfather's rods, plugs and even used some of his old thread to build an e-glass rod. If I come across one of those poppers I will let you know.

That is a bottle darter.

You may want to contact a plug maker and have one made that looks like yours but through wired