adoboboy

Salmon River 2019

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone planning to go to Pulaski NY this year. I've been going up for the last few years, and I think its been 3 years of skunking for me and my buddy. We don't really go for the fishing :) so skunking is alright. We just like the peace and quiet of not being with our wives. Heading out 10-12 October. Cheers! 

Edited by adoboboy

Posted (edited) · Report post

I go second week of November and will do so again this year.  Tying up fly patterns for Steelhead starting this weekend.  I don't do the Salmon - way too crowded for me - prefer to fish Steelhead season.

Edited by galvanni

Its not that bad if you stay at a lodge that has access to the river. We dont go to the popular holes. If we still skunk this year, we may have to switch to steelhead fishing. 

Was up this past week, Sept. 17-22. Obviously the weekend is alittle crazier than during the week. Tuesday & Wednesday crowded was very light, increased as we approached the weekend. Our group fished the lower end of the DSR property and only wandering slightly to check out other local holes and pockets. Water was clear and running around 355 cfs, roughly 60-65 degrees. Weather was outstanding, clear blue skies with nice sun every day. Morning temps where alittle chilly and I opted for the waders, often undressing around late morning or lunch. Others within our group wet waded the whole trip. Fish movement was pretty steady each day, mostly (95%) kings. A few Cohos caught, but not many. Out of our group, single brown trout caught and single steelhead (small). All fish released, to go about their business. Plenty of hooking up and action to keep everyone involved entertained. Personal, I had more fish landed this year than any other year. On average landing a dozen kings each day. Others did not fair as good as me in the landing percentage. Overall a great yearly trip in the books and I'll look forward to next year.

Any who needs flies, I over tied this past Winter, so I have plenty of extras. If anyone wants to purchase my excess flies, I'd be willing to part with a few dozen. PM me if interested.

I'd always wanted to go.  On my bucket list, but not this year.

I've heard the salmon are at a point in their life cycle where they don't bite because they are hungry.  They bite because you are presenting something to annoy them?  Is that right?

18 mins ago, patarpon120 said:

Was up this past week, Sept. 17-22. Obviously the weekend is alittle crazier than during the week. Tuesday & Wednesday crowded was very light, increased as we approached the weekend. Our group fished the lower end of the DSR property and only wandering slightly to check out other local holes and pockets. Water was clear and running around 355 cfs, roughly 60-65 degrees. Weather was outstanding, clear blue skies with nice sun every day. Morning temps where alittle chilly and I opted for the waders, often undressing around late morning or lunch. Others within our group wet waded the whole trip. Fish movement was pretty steady each day, mostly (95%) kings. A few Cohos caught, but not many. Out of our group, single brown trout caught and single steelhead (small). All fish released, to go about their business. Plenty of hooking up and action to keep everyone involved entertained. Personal, I had more fish landed this year than any other year. On average landing a dozen kings each day. Others did not fair as good as me in the landing percentage. Overall a great yearly trip in the books and I'll look forward to next year.

Any who needs flies, I over tied this past Winter, so I have plenty of extras. If anyone wants to purchase my excess flies, I'd be willing to part with a few dozen. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the excellent report and congrats on a great trip. I have more than enough flies in my bag, thanks though. 

6 hours ago, adoboboy said:

Its not that bad if you stay at a lodge that has access to the river. We dont go to the popular holes. If we still skunk this year, we may have to switch to steelhead fishing. 

You know my secret to hooking up?  A single small egg hook and a single powerbait egg lol.  

I shat you not.  Salmon eat it up lol. Give it a try next trip. 

12 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

You know my secret to hooking up?  A single small egg hook and a single powerbait egg lol.  

I shat you not.  Salmon eat it up lol. Give it a try next trip. 

May have to give that a try. Thanks danny!

18 hours ago, adoboboy said:

Thanks for the excellent report and congrats on a great trip. I have more than enough flies in my bag, thanks though. 

Its great when you don't shower for days.  We can catch all the flies we want.  :freak:

14 hours ago, BillHoo said:

I'd always wanted to go.  On my bucket list, but not this year.

I've heard the salmon are at a point in their life cycle where they don't bite because they are hungry.  They bite because you are presenting something to annoy them?  Is that right?

Yes, your dropping a fly or an egg right in front of them, or snagging them. We had guys push right in front of us, wading in water or on shore. I could definitely see going during week but not on weekend.

I used to think the same, fished steelhead since 96. I have fished for salmon on and off the last few years, it's just to much fun to pass up, the fights are incredible, I've been into my backing 3x already on kings. Cohos are nuts, I've never seen a fish blow upstream in the fastest water like a coho, drag screaming, they fight like a steelhead on steroids. I've found myself a great run to fish, nor that I'm going to describe it. We help out the newbees, at least explain the set up or like last week i gave a guy 4' of 12# flouro showed how to weight it, gave him two flies that work for me and showed him how to decrease getting snags. I don't know how he did as it was kinda slow and I was heading off the river. A really good bunch of regulars fish this stretch and all have their favorite spots. I've shown up and had one of the guys wave me up to my favorite and then he moved down some and I've done the same for the others. It's not all bad.

Sounds like a great time.  I was planning to join Adobo on his trip for my first ever time up there.  Didn't work out this time but will be looking forward to going with better planning in 2020.  Havent a clue what the hell to do but hope to figure it out. 

Salmon go up there to die.  Its an art of getting foul hooked in the mouth.  Kind of like jigging at an inlet.  Cast ahead, keep tension on the rod, pull as soon as you feel something.  Cast at 10, tension, then reel it in quick at 2.  Fish hang out in darker spots.  Look for features to funnel them, like behind a log.   Under bridges is a hot spot too.

Fly guys lines float, so they have more chances of the line get caught up in the mouth......

Salmon is fun, but like steelhead better.  They actually eat, and eat well for the water temp.  Love to catch a big brown though...   I fish the lower niagara river in december.

Don't like crowds, no worries.  Salmon river isnt the only show in town.