Backroads

Newbie brought here by the kindness of a Veteran

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Howdy all. I'm somewhat new to striper fishing. This is my second fall season. Last night I was lucky enough to talk with a gentleman visiting RI for the fall run and pick his brain and ask advice while we waited in rotation. In the short time I was able to gain some really good advice that boosted my confidence. At the end of the night he gave me a "Rock Hopping Mike" to try. So thru the wonders of Google and searching for where to get more Rock Hopping Mikes I was led here and decided to join. Anyways, I'm here to learn more, share experiences and learn from y'all. I can't say enough good stuff about some of the guys that have helped get me started. I'm sure some of y'all are in here so thanks again and look forward to learning even more!

Attached is the pic of the RHM that was gifted to me. I can't wait to catch a big one on it! 

70816581_1126547300889391_6780951163572322304_n.jpg

Cool. Welcome aboard. There are good people here, and you should be able to learn plenty. The search function can bring up a lot of good threads from the past, and from forums other than RI. 

Edited by fishinbill

Thanks Bill. Seems I have a lot to read on here. I'll try to limit my newbie questions to one a week max! lol

In all seriousness I realize there is a wealth of knowledge a search button away. So far the guys who have helped me have been great getting me started and getting me on good fish. I haven't kept any keepers this year either though I can say I've only caught about 1/2 dozen legal fish. 

Mike’s a good guy. Doesn’t post on here anymore, but if he hasn’t moved you can usually find him on a certain beach in Westerly most mornings. I always look forward to seeing him in the Fall.  

Like the post post above says, the Search function is an invaluable resource here. 

To my knowledge RHM is banned from SOL, for reasons we wont get into....  :laugh:  I have shared several tides with him and it has always been pleasant.

Welcome, you owe us a Joke.  Also, the rotations and bway are a fun way to get started but when you can venture away and learn new spots its more rewarding to catch fish away from the crowds and not having to wait in line to fish (at least in my opinion).  Many of us started there, as it is a consistent way to find fish but it can be more of a social event.  I prefer my line in the water and no crowds, but at times it means less and smaller fish.

Edited by Kooky

You just reminded me it's exactly 30 years since I first stumbled onto C- town jetty for the first time since dad took me fluke fishing as a kid.

Not really new to saltwater but new to jetties and rotation and night fishing. I quickly made a nuisance of myself with the crusty old timers.

When I cast across a guy who was fighting a fish in the dark, grumbling was turning to growling. The natives were getting restless and newb was about to have a bad night.

Miraculously, some guy name Steve took pity. He started talking to me, offering suggestions and we hit it off.

My night turned from certain failure to a whole morning of driving around SoCo with a total stranger who gave me the whole place, free of charge.

Every secret shore spot, inside, outside, river, bay, ocean, rock pile and jetty. All the parking spots. The best breakfast joint. Finished by finding huge blues among the rich people sail boats in a sheltered harbor.

One of the best fishing trips I ever had.

In all the years I been going back, I never ran into that guy again. 

That's an awesome story Mike! I'll be honest, I tried fishing at Narragansett 15 years ago one time with zero luck mainly because I didn't know what I was doing. Then I tried it one time again about 2010, same result. Then I met someone who couldn't believe me when I told them I'd never caught a striper. He took it as a personal challenge to get me on fish and he did! I'm slowly learning knew places through friends at work and people I meet along the way. So far the lines haven't been too bad in the few places I've been shown. But you really got my curiosity about the breakfast place! 

12 hours ago, Kooky said:

To my knowledge RHM is banned from SOL, for reasons we wont get into....  :laugh:  I have shared several tides with him and it has always been pleasant.

I had no idea and honestly I don't want to know. I don't do drama well. That being said, anyone know if he's still making/selling plugs locally? 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, Kooky said:

Welcome, you owe us a Joke.  Also, the rotations and bway are a fun way to get started but when you can venture away and learn new spots its more rewarding to catch fish away from the crowds and not having to wait in line to fish (at least in my opinion).  Many of us started there, as it is a consistent way to find fish but it can be more of a social event.  I prefer my line in the water and no crowds, but at times it means less and smaller fish.

Yupper banned along with his aliases LOL!

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, rbart said:

Watch Hill Outfitters.  He didn’t work there, they just carried his plugs. 

He had a shop in the back in the old car wash. I think he worked for Charlie at Weekapaug BT

Thanks for the tips. Next time I'm in Westerly I'll swing in and take a look. Sorry if I brought up a sore subject. Honestly I had no idea, I just liked the plug. Now I know. 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:40 AM, Kooky said:

Welcome, you owe us a Joke.  

When I leave this world, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandpa did...Not screaming and crying like everyone else in the car!