Jetty Footwear And Saftey

Rate this topic

JerseyMike609

If you already wear Wading boots over your stocking foot waders, and those boots dont have metal studs, you should be able to add studs to it.  I have a pair of cheap Cabelas wading boots and Orvis wading boots, they both did not come with metal studs but are prepared to have them added if needed.  I purchased from Ebay a bag of these studs and added them to my wading boots.  Definitely not Korker type traction, but good enough that i can climb up rocks without slipping. 

These are the studs i have added to my boots.

studs.JPG

Edited by Evil-Bay

If you are wearing waders, korkers are a must! If not, then the slip on korkers. Safety wise, absolutely avoid getting hit by waves if the waves are crashing high and hard. My general rule is if the wave hits above the belt then it’s no go. Only takes 1 rogue wave to send you under. Couple weeks back I got hit above the wave on a beach and almost got taken away

22 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

The only exception to the korkers rule are the jacks that you referred to in your OP.

Wear korkers at all times on the rocks. The greener and wetter the more better. Dont forget to check your studs before each trip. stepping on a spot where your missing a stud can be the difference between a cracked skull and broken gear vs having a solid night.

limit the use of your headlamp and familiarize yourself with that given jetty. I walk most of my jetties without a light on sans the new moon. Using a light blinds your peripherals and you lose sight of the ocean. Which leads to the next and final point....

DONT LOSE SIGHT OF THE OCEAN.

Damn right about that last point! Don’t think you are invincible even against the smallest wave cuz even those will easily earn you a trip to the light!

1 hour ago, Evil-Bay said:

If you already wear Wading boots over your stocking foot waders, and those boots dont have metal studs, you should be able to add studs to it.  I have a pair of cheap Cabelas wading boots and Orvis wading boots, they both did not come with metal studs but are prepared to have them added if needed.  I purchased from Ebay a bag of these studs and added them to my wading boots.  Definitely not Korker type traction, but good enough that i can climb up rocks without slipping. 

These are the studs i have added to my boots.

studs.JPG

^^^   This ..  I have added Kold Kutters to a pair of cheap rubber boots from Walmart.    These studs are originally designed for motorcycle ice racing studs, but they work well in the Jetties and give a good firm grip.  I think I added about a dozen to each boot...   They are also very inexpensive as you can get a bag of 250 for about 20 bucks...  

57 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

If you are wearing waders, korkers are a must! If not, then the slip on korkers. Safety wise, absolutely avoid getting hit by waves if the waves are crashing high and hard. My general rule is if the wave hits above the belt then it’s no go. Only takes 1 rogue wave to send you under. Couple weeks back I got hit above the wave on a beach and almost got taken away

above the belt?! yikes.... i only do that when I have somewhere to tie myself off. I'll try to keep the waves below my knees on the jetty and even then my buddy thats 6'4 gets to stand on the inside :howdy:

I wouldnt reccomend tying off to a newbie but sometimes it pays off

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I'll try to keep the waves below my knees on the jetty and even then my buddy thats 6'4 gets to stand on the inside :howdy:

If the waves are coming up to my knees when I am on the jetty, then that is too much for me......      I'm outta there ...

Not waiting for that rouge wave that always seems to come out of nowhere ......

1 hour ago, UncleJohn said:

If the waves are coming up to my knees when I am on the jetty, then that is too much for me......      I'm outta there ...

Not waiting for that rouge wave that always seems to come out of nowhere ......

What he said^^^^. When i'm fishing ledges & boulders and the rollers are coming in big I survey my perch spot for a long time before I commit. In spite of my advanced recon I still have been pushed off by a surprise rouge. 

Waves at the knees on any elevated structure is a no go for me. 

I have two sets of buckskin Korkers with interchange soles & upgrade spikes. One set for wet wading, the other a size larger to accomodate the xtra stockingfoot material.  No issues, couldn't do my type fishing without them.

Just today I saw a young, 20 something, go down off a boulder in the shallows. Wearing waders,no splikes, he landed on his butt with  water up  to his neck in about 4 ft of water. Embarrassed, he was up quick no apparent injuries. The timing ws beautiful as I just warned the pilgrim about the need for studded soles.

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

On 9/27/2019 at 0:51 PM, DragonsLax48 said:

above the belt?! yikes.... i only do that when I have somewhere to tie myself off. I'll try to keep the waves below my knees on the jetty and even then my buddy thats 6'4 gets to stand on the inside :howdy:

I wouldnt reccomend tying off to a newbie but sometimes it pays off

I find all all of this talk about taking waves above the waist and tying off etc...to be foolish selfish and irresponsible.  I don't care how tough you think you are, there's one lady that's tougher than all of you. Mother nature.

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

19 mins ago, JimK said:

I find all all of this talk about taking waves above the waist and tying off etc...to be foolish selfish and irresponsible.  I don't care how tough you think you are, there's one lady that's tougher than all of you. Mother nature.

Gotta hedge for worst case scenario sometimes. I completely agree with you that its foolish and irresponsible, with that said Ive done it twice and both times paid off.

1st time I did this was during perfect scenario of wind and tide but there was some swell coming over the jetty and i didnt want to get caught off guard. It paid off and i caught quite a few good fish. But I told myself I wouldnt do it again.

2nd time. Slick calm, perfect jetty conditions, and certainly fishable even at new moon high tide. An east wind came unexpectadly. No real big waves but the extra push of water and chop covered the jetty. I had two options. try to walk off by timing the 1 ft chop or I could stay at the tip (higher ground), tie off, and keep fishing. I only caught 2 more fish but I was safer with the waves in front of me than on my side or back.

I like to play it safe after a few close calls on the jetty. Like I said, this isnt for beginners. If anyone wants to take the risk of being on a low sitting jetty at high water than they better be prepared with the right gear. Part of the right gear is a long reliable stringer.

973-230-6046

48 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Like I said, this isnt for beginners. If anyone wants to take the risk of being on a low sitting jetty at high water than they better be prepared with the right gear. Part of the right gear is a long reliable stringer.

Ok..Can't argue with this..

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

Anybody wearing a PFD?  I do. I have a low profile duck hunting style PFD that even fits under foul weather gear. I fell through ice one time, and was fortunate  enough to get out. I also took a bath while fishing ankle to knee deep moving water on a jetty.  PFD doesn’t make matters worse. It helps. Expect the unexpected.