JerseyMike609

Jetty Footwear And Saftey

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I know that this has probably been brought up many times in the past but  but after recent events I thought itd make good conversation and it's always good to hear what people wear and the precautions they take.Thanks and be safe!

I got the field and stream wading boots with screw-in spikes for the jetty rocks. I don't venture out to the piling jacks though as it scares me, I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to safety. Years of being on the flight deck during night ops didn't creep me out more than I was creeped out by crashing waves over the jetties at Manasquan or Shark river. 

Spikes, spikes, and spikes. If you can screw studs into your wading boots, do it. If you can't, buy Korkers that go over your boots. Not wearing waders when it's 90 and sunny out? Jetty sneakers. I have a pair of Asics that has a nice thick EVA foam midsole, and have screwed about 10 studs per shoe on each shoe, giving me great traction on jetties. It's nice because I don't have to sweat bullets and the screws don't come out. Been doing that for many years without issues on jetties in NJ and NY.

$30 worth of studs is a really cheap insurance policy.

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

Spikes, spikes, and spikes. If you can screw studs into your wading boots, do it. If you can't, buy Korkers that go over your boots. Not wearing waders when it's 90 and sunny out? Jetty sneakers. I have a pair of Asics that has a nice thick EVA foam midsole, and have screwed about 10 studs per shoe on each shoe, giving me great traction on jetties. It's nice because I don't have to sweat bullets and the screws don't come out. Been doing that for many years without issues on jetties in NJ and NY.

$30 worth of studs is a really cheap insurance policy.

That is a good idea!

1 hour ago, AbbyDaddy said:

I got the field and stream wading boots with screw-in spikes for the jetty rocks. I don't venture out to the piling jacks though as it scares me, I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to safety. Years of being on the flight deck during night ops didn't creep me out more than I was creeped out by crashing waves over the jetties at Manasquan or Shark river. 

Yea those Jack's are serious,I fish them but not like I do Barnegat's.

15 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

admitting ignorance but,,, what kind of studs work in Asic-type sneakers? please

No worries. Most all screw in type studs should work. I've been using Redington Goat Head Spikes. Inexpensive, durable, and effective.

There’ve been plenty of times when I’ve substituted hex-headed stainless sheet metal screws for the real thing. Not noticeably better or worse and really not any cheaper - but, easy to find in a pinch. Just be sure to get short ones!

The only exception to the korkers rule are the jacks that you referred to in your OP.

Wear korkers at all times on the rocks. The greener and wetter the more better. Dont forget to check your studs before each trip. stepping on a spot where your missing a stud can be the difference between a cracked skull and broken gear vs having a solid night.

limit the use of your headlamp and familiarize yourself with that given jetty. I walk most of my jetties without a light on sans the new moon. Using a light blinds your peripherals and you lose sight of the ocean. Which leads to the next and final point....

DONT LOSE SIGHT OF THE OCEAN.

My first trip to a jetty last year the guy who was showing me the ropes posed this question to me...

"Is your life worth $100?" 

Well ya...

"Buy a damn set of korkers"

So that's what I did. As for seeing others climb out on the wet rocks in plain old sneakers I prepare by telling them "Hang on, before you go out there let me dial 9-1- and wait". Thankfully I've only seen one person fall after not heading warning. Resulted in a broken finger though could of been much worse.