icarussound

Broke my rod..again

58 posts in this topic

I had a fight with a Snook and the mangroves won again, actually I managed to bring in the Snook. But my star stellar light 7’ rod snapped. Second time this has happened. The new policy, send it in rather than swap it out for a new one so I’m out a medium rod for 6 weeks. I’m thinking I’d prefer a 6’6” rod anyway. So:

Any suggestions for a medium 6’6” rod for kayak fishing in the mangroves? Thinking a tidemaster, but I’d rather spend less since it is very likely I’ll snap the rod eventually.

Posted (edited)

Pretty tough to break an ugly stick.  I have not broken one yet. Caught many blue fish on it.  I like the 7 foot 1 piece medium heavy rods. 

Edited by dbjpb

7'6 St Croix Triumph TRS76MHF is my go to kayak rod.  I have caught large sheepshead, 25lb+ flatheads and many large rays on theses rods without a problem. It is also light enough to fish a 1/4 oz jig.

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

I had a fight with a Snook and the mangroves won again, actually I managed to bring in the Snook. But my star stellar light 7’ rod snapped. Second time this has happened. The new policy, send it in rather than swap it out for a new one so I’m out a medium rod for 6 weeks. I’m thinking I’d prefer a 6’6” rod anyway. So:

Any suggestions for a medium 6’6” rod for kayak fishing in the mangroves? Thinking a tidemaster, but I’d rather spend less since it is very likely I’ll snap the rod eventually.

I know where you are coming from because I break rods all the time. It's ironic how the more expensive rods are, they are nicer, but they break easier. 

I would go with an Ugly Stik Inshore. Kind of a compromise between the indestructible Ugly Stik and higher end rods. 

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I would go with an Ugly Stik Inshore. Kind of a compromise between the indestructible Ugly Stik and higher end rods. 

I agree, I picked up one I like for smallish fish like porgies. Trick is finding someplace with good stock so you can fondle all the choices. Certain Walmarts will have that.

Broke in the magngroves. My secret technique is trolling close to the mangroves. If a big fish strikes it can get chaotic fast depending on where she goes. Every now and then I get tangled and things get ugly when that happens. I’ve never broken a rod on a fish now that I think about it.

Kayak fishing is hazardous, yesterday I hooked a fish and she dove under the boat and I got tangled in the fins. Pulled up the drive, untangled it, got the fish close, got tangled on the front , untangled, and then the rod and reel fell overboard while unhooking a struggling monster. My hand got hooked on the second treble so I had a big fish flopping around on one treble, a hook in my thumb and my rod and reel in the water. It’s was a typical day of fun, pain, and lots of cursing.

A good day since I boarded the fish, got the rod and reel back and unhooked myself with my pliers and kept my thumb, though it’ll take a while to heal!

On 9/25/2019 at 0:17 PM, odiemike86 said:

7'6 St Croix Triumph TRS76MHF is my go to kayak rod.  I have caught large sheepshead, 25lb+ flatheads and many large rays on theses rods without a problem. It is also light enough to fish a 1/4 oz jig.

I use the Triumph 7" Medium Fast action for light tackle striper fishing on the bay.  Very happy with that rod.

Made in USA model or new? 

My favorite manufacturer. The 8’ one piece made in the USA Stellar Lite was one of the best rods I ever had. Paired it with a yellow nautil  6500 with white whiplash for a few seasons. Then I accidentally line wrapped the tip and snapped it on a cast. That sucked. That rod was the balls in raritan bay throwing poppers and swimmer. :( 

On 25/09/2019 at 0:17 PM, dbjpb said:

Pretty tough to break an ugly stick.  I have not broken one yet. Caught many blue fish on it.  I like the 7 foot 1 piece medium heavy rods. 

I have a 7 right light action ugly stick and it’s been abused. I even use it boat fishing and caught some pretty good bass on it. Never broken and that’s been going for well over five years.

16 hours ago, ErikT said:

Made in USA model or new? 

My favorite manufacturer. The 8’ one piece made in the USA Stellar Lite was one of the best rods I ever had. Paired it with a yellow nautil  6500 with white whiplash for a few seasons. Then I accidentally line wrapped the tip and snapped it on a cast. That sucked. That rod was the balls in raritan bay throwing poppers and swimmer. :( 

I have 3 (2 now), all made in China. Decent rods but not on par with my St Croix rods. 

1 hour ago, nofomofo said:

Take a look at the Tsunami Carbon Shield II.  The 7' medium (TSCSHDII701M) is my new favorite for up to 1 oz from the yak and boat.  Very light and strong.  

How long is he butt?