pemidog

it’s an obsession but it’s pleasin’

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

after tying and re-tying the same leader knot 3 times tonight, i realized i’m an obsessive knot re-tyer. 

question to the group:

what are your fishing preparation quirks, habits, superstitions, etc? 

I cant sleep the night before a trip im all pumped up and im lucky if i get 2 hrs sleep at most. It also takes me like about an hour or more to get my stuff together and another 10 min double checking my gear. 

Night before I tie on new 6'-8' floro leader to my 8# to 14# fireline whether it needs it or not.  Also super glue several of my favorite soft plastics to long shanked hooks.  These hooks have a built-up shank using thread and mono topped with epoxy so the super glue has a larger surface area to grab on to.  You can just barely see the built up shank of the hooks.  The Super glue sets up fast but gets even harder over night.

These work on smbass in the Susky shallows and stripers working the surface under birds.  Although sometimes the dang terns and gulls won't leave them alone.  These soft plastics pictured range from 4' (top) to 5.5" (bottom)

Drummore Bay Lures.JPG

Edited by HJS

10 hours ago, Queensfisher said:

I cant sleep the night before a trip im all pumped up and im lucky if i get 2 hrs sleep at most. It also takes me like about an hour or more to get my stuff together and another 10 min double checking my gear. 

I also have trouble sleeping. 

Night before:

1. Lay out clothes like you would for a child (lol)

In convertible pants (zipped pockets):

- Separate fishing wallet (ID, CC, license or saltwater registration and a little $)

- sunglasses

- minimed kit (allergy, ibuprofen, antacid)

- lip balm

2. Put fresh leaders or rigs on rods. 

3. Pack car packed with gear, hat, sunglasses, bibs or foul weather gear

4. Soft sided coolers packed in the fridge, ready for freezer packs or ice bottles.

5. Then double check. 

Try to go to bed a little early. Some sleep beats none. Read something boring if you can’t fall asleep like business reports. 

Usually it takes me about 15 minutes to shower and depart. I started drinking cold coffee so I don’t have to make a cup. 

Edited by hookmeup

8 mins ago, HJS said:

Night before I tie on new 6'-8' floro leader to my 8# to 14# fireline whether it needs it or not.  Also super glue several of my favorite soft plastics to long shanked hooks.  These hooks have a built-up shank using thread and mono topped with epoxy so the super glue has a larger surface area to grab on to.  You can just barely see the built up shank of the hooks.  The Super glue sets up fast but gets even harder over night.

Yes!

1 hour ago, pemidog said:

huh? 

16 mins ago, valentine said:

Keeps them from overheating. 

Its a very advanced technique.

yep :th:

Edited by Dave S