EarningStripes207

Wrapping Up the Season.

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

got the October skunk off my back this evening in Falmouth, hooked 4 fish, landed two. Both small, but I was just happy to bend the rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had half an hour to fish falling tide

ripped the boat out a bit and got a FAT 25 in the outflow (frozen Mack chunk). 

wish I had more time 

plenty of feeding fish in the channel On the way back home

it ain’t over 

Jim 

Edited by jimbighead

Anybody get out yesterday or today? I was planning to launch the yak early tomorrow but 40 degree temps are really giving me second thoughts...

Southern Maine/NH has been a bust for me the last two weeks. Plenty of mackerel but the stripers (whether on bait, plugs, or fly) have been zilch. 

I think I hear the weight-challenged-female starting to vocalize. 

I ended up heading out on the lower Piscataqua this morning. It wasn’t a total bust but the fish were tough to find and pretty tiny overall. I didn’t find any schooled up or busting on bait either.

As I left the house and got into my frost-covered car this morning, I couldn’t help feeling like I should’ve been on my way to my tree stand. It might be time to make the switch. 

Spent some time on the boat this beautiful afternoon

stacked Meatier fish in several locales likely pushed off with the rain

still evident activity and large/small bait abundant 

picked up a few of the borg 23-25” fish from this season.  After nearly boating a PB last Saturday I was hopeful for another shot.  But sometimes you only get one shot every so many years.  I missed it, but yet another great fish story to embellish for years to come 

I don’t think it’s done yet And if your keyed in can still find a few fish 

thinking the feed bag will be on the next few days before the final blow this weekend 

deer season for me very soon and likely my days are down to a few and maybe some travel south to chase the migration 

while I didn’t get as much time OTW as I usually do this season due to More important family time, I still had fun chasing the striped ones And did pretty well considering th challenge we are up against 

hopefully we can all hang in there for a few years and wish that it gets better with at least the acknowledgement of the state of the fishery that seems to be gaining some traction 

As always I enjoy the spirit/witty banter and story telling from you all.   Tight lines everyone and talk again in April 2020!

My name is Jim and I am and forever shall be a fishaholic 

cheers

fat-lady-singing-image-171306-3431292.jp

Between myself and a learned colleague we hit all the local spots hard yesterday with nary a hit.  I'm officially calling it, just shy of 800 fish, average length 20.1" and a median of 20", two keepers.  Log sent to ME DMR...

Pulling the rip cord and shifting to Steelhead, time to tie some flies. Went out last night with zero signs of life on the local flats. Fished days were way down this year compared to last due to miserable home renovation but log says around 200 landed. Did break 40" 3 times and 30" 11 times which is a personal best. Average fish size is probably low 20". All still swimming hopefully. Spring/early summer on local flats was awesome, mid summer and fall not so much but open ocean was very good for me. Log sent to ME DMR.

th.jpg

its over for me in NH but just beginning in RI. It's tog time going Monday. 

Any advice on hunting for green crabs aling Rye? I am gonna check it out at low tide. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

its over for me in NH but just beginning in RI. It's tog time going Monday. 

Any advice on hunting for green crabs aling Rye? I am gonna check it out at low tide. 

If you want to load up on green crabs in gentlmanly fashion, drop me a message.  A hot dog and a dip net and you'll fill a bucket in 20 min.  I'd even throw my eel pot over before you came for a quick haul...

Edited by Roccus7

4 hours ago, Chiefy said:

Pulling the rip cord and shifting to Steelhead, time to tie some flies. Went out last night with zero signs of life on the local flats. Fished days were way down this year compared to last due to miserable home renovation but log says around 200 landed. Did break 40" 3 times and 30" 11 times which is a personal best. Average fish size is probably low 20". All still swimming hopefully. Spring/early summer on local flats was awesome, mid summer and fall not so much but open ocean was very good for me. Log sent to ME DMR.

th.jpg

Chiefy-  did I see you out in that neighborhood? 

aug 1.jpg