EarningStripes207

Wrapping Up the Season.

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

I've only been out about 1/2 dozen times. Only got about 6 keeps so far but all were right at 28-29-30 so I haven't kept any. I caught way more blues this year vs last year. Hope to hit the water hard over the next 3 weeks before I transition over to hunting season. I will say I think I've caught more fish this year than last thus far but they've definitely been smaller. Here's to hoping for bigger fish for everyone in the coming weeks! 

20 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Wrap Up, Schmap Up... No Fat Lady in a metal bustier with a horned helmet singing here!!  Season's best, 32" fish caught this AM...

cropped biggun.jpg

May I ask how far north you are?

The season is certainly not over but I think "wrapping up" is fair. There's what, maybe 3 weeks left?

I got out after work last night for the first couple hours of the incoming at a popular fly spot in the Portsmouth/Newcastle area. It was pretty windy so after striking out on the fly rod I tried a few casts on my light tackle spinning rod and managed a 22" striper and the what may have been the biggest mackerel I've ever seen (it pulled some drag!), both on a swim shad.  The last couple hours of the outgoing likely would have been more productive but I did see a bald eagle and a bunch of deer so it wasn't bad for a quick outing. 

10 mins ago, drmevo said:

The season is certainly not over but I think "wrapping up" is fair. There's what, maybe 3 weeks left?

I got out after work last night for the first couple hours of the incoming at a popular fly spot in the Portsmouth/Newcastle area. It was pretty windy so after striking out on the fly rod I tried a few casts on my light tackle spinning rod and managed a 22" striper and the what may have been the biggest mackerel I've ever seen (it pulled some drag!), both on a swim shad.  The last couple hours of the outgoing likely would have been more productive but I did see a bald eagle and a bunch of deer so it wasn't bad for a quick outing. 

Personally I'll take a big mackerel over a small striper any day! I only have one or 2 days left (traveling most of October) think I'll scale down to a 7 weight for it...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Definitely not the easy fall fishing of 10-15 years ago, but there are still some around and probably will be for another 3-4 weeks at least. 

Landed 4 last night, one schoolie, 3 nice fish 34, 37, and 38”.  Before that, the previous 3 trips were a skunk, 3 schoolies, and another skunk.  That’s pretty representative of how it’s been for me for me lately, slow overall with many skunks, but enough nice fish mixed in to keep me going.  Hopefully we get a final push of a bunch more fish sometime in October. 

Seems to be a serious lack of low 20” to low 30” fish.  Everything I’m catching has been schoolies around 20” or mid to upper 30” fish, with nothing in between. Anyone else seeing similar results?

Edited by TwoLightsKid

28 mins ago, TwoLightsKid said:

Definitely not the easy fall fishing of 10-15 years ago, but there are still some around and probably will be for another 3-4 weeks at least. 

Landed 4 last night, one schoolie, 3 nice fish 34, 37, and 38”.  Before that, the previous 3 trips were a skunk, 3 schoolies, and another skunk.  That’s pretty representative of how it’s been for me for me lately, slow overall with many skunks, but enough nice fish mixed in to keep me going.  Hopefully we get a final push of a bunch more fish sometime in October. 

Seems to be a serious lack of low 20” to low 30” fish.  Everything I’m catching has been schoolies around 20” or mid to upper 30” fish, with nothing in between. Anyone else seeing similar results?

I've caught plenty of low 20" fish, but zero 30" or above. Earlier in the season I caught a decent amount of 25-26" fish.  It seems like many of the larger fish just skipped past NH.

Curious what you're getting them on, if you don't mind sharing. 

Got into a few yesterday and early this morning. All twenty or below but got about twenty. Ain't over yet by any means. last year I caught fish until October 29 th.

The run isn't anything like it used to be and much later. October is now the new September.

As far as a season, it sucked ha'ad. Worst for me in 42 years striper fishing Maine. Two 35" fish we're my biggest and got them back to back in June.

I hit Little Bay in my kayak Saturday night just as it was getting dark. I dragged a tube and (Gulp) worm for a bit with no takes before finding some fish busting near a lit dock. I spent the next several hours hitting different docks, tossing small plastics on jig heads and caught a good handful of fish, though the biggest was probably 25" or so. I lost one fish right before landing it that may have been a bit bigger, on a 10" Hogy, which I've never had any confidence in, so that was nice. The search for larger bass continues...

Hit Hampton harbor this evening, conditions were perfect, lots of bait around, but pretty dead. A big assed dead seal floating around with a seagull on top pecking at it, saw 2 sturgeon, first ones I've seen in there. Had a micro chase my fly onto the sand when I was going to leave but it veered off as the fly caught a piece of bubbleweed. Packed up my freshwater stuff after one last LMB in Maine on Saturday, I go on the road next week for a month so maybe one or two more tries at the most for me...

Hit first light this am in Cape Elizabeth area with kayak. Cold, windy and seas were sporty. Scratched a couple of fish in the mid twenty's. Clock is ticking as focus will shift to Steelhead soon. Maybe another trip or 2 otherwise will be blind luck if something happens on a kayak paddle trip.