EarningStripes207

Wrapping Up the Season.

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

As the season begins to wind down for some of us I would be interested to get some input from everyone on how they did this year. What was different this year? How did your last outing go? Size of your largest fish and method used to catch it (if willing to share)? Finally, did you start using any new techniques you found to be productive enough to stick with in the future? 

I'll kick it off and would love to have people chime in when they are ready. 

In my local area, the average size of fish seemed to increase from about 16-22 inches to 18-24 inches. this was a welcome development but it is also notable that fishing the same areas I did last year produced less fish overall with hardly any micros. I also noticed a decrease in the run of herring from my perspective although that could be my memory playing tricks on itself. 

My (possible) last outing of this year stayed true to the pattern I have been seeing all summer, fish were hesitant to hit any swimming plugs or topwater I threw at them but once I started dragging tube and worm rigs I found a school fairly quickly and caught five fish measuring up to 26 inches all within an hour. After that window of action the tide picked up and the fish must have gone elsewhere or stopped feeding.

My biggest fish came during the spring on a larger sized cotton cordell pencil popper worked quickly through some slack water next to faster current. Never got a chance to measure that fish but from comparing it to my rod and measuring that at home I would guess 34 inches. 

This year I really got into fishing with eels and although I didn't earn any fish larger than some schoolies for my efforts I became much more confident with them. Bought my own eel trap just the other day so I hope to capitalize on that before the tackle shops even begin to stock them during the spring.

Look forward to reading any contributions y'all have to offer. Happy fishin folks.

Later arrival, lower numbers and lower size.   I fish the surf, but hear the offshore folks did better because of more bait out there. 

I had good trips in June when the schoolies were on micro bait employing a small teaser in front of SP minnow. Spent the last week of June out far east in the canyons with a stop at Nantucket shoals and caught some tilefish and fluke to fill the freezer (literally). 

July came and I was exited for another great pogie season but this year it was hit or miss. Do to some of the misses I found a new area to fish in late August and had two killer trips there before the pogies left. I've spent Sept going down to the cape for albies or offshore to Jeff's for groundfish and now I am switching to tuna and RI tog (my favorite) until I winterize in mid nov. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve seen pretty similar patterns to the OP. Fewer micros overall, but very few fish above mid-20” size. I only had a small handful of fish that were in the 28” ballpark (I don’t go too nuts getting an exact measurement in my kayak) and I definitely didn’t break 30”, which sucks.

I do a lot of tube and worm normally. I tried livelining a little more this year since I found a Hobie livewell for cheap on Craigslist, but it didn’t produce the results I hoped for. Finding and catching macks from the kayak is kind of fun in its own right but livelining can be boring and frustrating when nothing’s biting. I did get some fish but nothing over 28-ish and it was hit or miss. Pogies didn’t produce any fish for me, either snagging and dropping or live-lining.

I got a fly rod this year and if things continue on the same trend that might be the main way I fish for stripers in the future. Tube and worm is fool-proof most of the season but I can only pull in so many 22” schoolies before it’s just the same thing over and over. 

I also enjoy light tackle with small soft plastics and right now I know of a few lit docks where I can find schoolies crushing bait on the surface at night, which is what I did on my last outing. I also livelined the one mack I was able to catch that night and had a few bites and runs with it but the circle hook didn’t set. Could’ve been the larger fish I’ve been waiting for, or maybe just another schoolie that couldn’t choke it down. I’d like to think it was the former but in my gut I think it was the latter. 

Edited by drmevo

Well, I'm new here to this website. What I'm really after is to know if it too late to fish for stripers this year. I grew up here but I've spent eons in the Military. I came home for this fall and winter and early spring and I'd love to go fishing for stripers if it's still possible, I used to wade out in Fore River and catch quite a few on surface lures. but I have no idea where to go anymore. And I think I need to use a kayak or canoe cause I don't still have waders and such. I'm in the Gray area. Hope someone can help. I picked the name Cali_Mike because I currently Live there but this is Home and I'm still a Loyal New England Sports Person. Oh and I'll take suggestions on other fishing that's available this late as well. Mike

My season mirrors Drmevo. Last time out got a couple 20s in the NH surf on the fly, got 4 or 5 legal but sub 30s on the N. Shore of Mass. Spots that gave up big numbers the last several years were dead this year. A couple friends of mine are commercials and on tuna runs they report massive amounts of pogies with big stripers on them, seems like they're all staying offshore. Most years this time of year is marked with at least some surface feeds on peanuts, haven't seen but a splash so far though. I'm switching over to surfing early this year as my interest in working hard for small fish is waning...

26 mins ago, stormy monday said:

My season mirrors Drmevo. Last time out got a couple 20s in the NH surf on the fly, got 4 or 5 legal but sub 30s on the N. Shore of Mass. Spots that gave up big numbers the last several years were dead this year. A couple friends of mine are commercials and on tuna runs they report massive amounts of pogies with big stripers on them, seems like they're all staying offshore. Most years this time of year is marked with at least some surface feeds on peanuts, haven't seen but a splash so far though. I'm switching over to surfing early this year as my interest in working hard for small fish is waning...

I've seen some peanuts popping in the past week but I didn't catch or mark any stripers under them. I've also heard similar things about the boat guys doing well offshore. I hope that's the case, that the stripers are just out there and they're not all dead. I've been doing more freshwater bass fishing the past month or so, which has been a little more rewarding for my efforts.

Wrap Up, Schmap Up... No Fat Lady in a metal bustier with a horned helmet singing here!!  Season's best, 32" fish caught this AM...

cropped biggun.jpg

I'm a bit surprised to see so many in this forum and in the MA section talk about wrapping up the season. I caught my last striper last year October 22 on the North shore of MA.. we're just getting started! 

My fall assault starts tomorrow!  Been away so much this summer 

I lost my dad two weeks ago after a long battle.  A great father, teacher, and amazing outdoorsman.  I’m sure he’s chasing fish and hunting full time now in a far more beautiful place

Hopefully I can catch a lot more fish to bolster my “mostly” true stories to tell you when we hit the higher seas together once again.   

Don’t RIP...give it hell like you always did.  

I’ll be doing the same

parting shot of the good captain in his prized craft.   Meticulously restored (by him) 1967 Hatteras 

1A24F732-E485-483F-BB83-90727379D111.jpeg

5 hours ago, jimbighead said:

My fall assault starts tomorrow!  Been away so much this summer 

I lost my dad two weeks ago after a long battle.  A great father, teacher, and amazing outdoorsman.  I’m sure he’s chasing fish and hunting full time now in a far more beautiful place

Hopefully I can catch a lot more fish to bolster my “mostly” true stories to tell you when we hit the higher seas together once again.   

Don’t RIP...give it hell like you always did.  

I’ll be doing the same

parting shot of the good captain in his prized craft.   Meticulously restored (by him) 1967 Hatteras 

1A24F732-E485-483F-BB83-90727379D111.jpeg

Very nice tribute.   I hope you're goals are met.