MaxKatt

Clean Water Rule repealed

Rate this topic

129 posts in this topic

Last week the Trump administration repealed the clean water rule.  

While the Clean Water Act continues to protect the Chesapeake Bay, a primary striped bass breeding ground, the administration removed protections on the watershed which feeds it.  

Specifically, the area the administration removed from protection includes 34,560 acres of scattered wetlands called “Delmarva Potholes” on the Delmarva peninsula.

That acreage is the equivalent of 54 square miles of green that provide vitally important filtration services by keeping farm runoff pollution out of the Chesapeake Bay. That’s a landmass almost the size of Washington, D.C.  Delmarva Potholes also serve as a home for wildlife and a defense against flooding.

In the Chesapeake Bay region states, there are also 37,809 miles of intermittent or ephemeral streams – more than half of the total miles of waterways, often at the headwaters of rivers, according to EIP’s report, which is based on EPA figures.

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.17.20 AM.png

Edited by MaxKatt

41 mins ago, baldwin said:

I hate politicians (that includes wannabe politicians).

Channel your hate into action.  Advocate for politicians who will aid in the enhancement of this website's stated mission; "We'll help you catch more fish."

There is zero chance making it easier to pollute the most critical striped bass spawning ground is going to increase the biomass.  

The almost certain impact of this change will be a further degradation of the Chesapeake.  

If you want more fish, advocate for politicians who align with that value.  

Disgraceful. 

What people don’t realize is that pollution in the Chesapeake caused by run off was one of the main reasons the fishery collapsed in the 80s, not just overfishing.  

What an embarrassment. 

I think this thread needs a ‘best rod’ tag  or maybe what’s better tag ‘vs or zb’ then maybe, just maybe a few more people on this site might actually pay attention to it. 

But, as you can tell by the scant responses from the usual people the majority just don’t give a ****. 

Everyone always voices their concerns and boasts their theories about how the fisheries should be managed ie, slot limits, commercial vs rec, poaching, etc, but when something of real substance comes up those same people are no where to be found. All bark....

I think in this case it’s pretty apparent why. 

The stated goal of the current administration is to not let conservation impede commerce.

We need to vote out this administration while there is still something left to conserve

It appears to be a very short sighted decision . . . I completely understand there needs to be a balance between environmental protection and allowing businesses to operate . . . it would have been better to keep the rule in place until all stake holders could compromise on a clean water rule that makes sense.

My fear is this will become another political issue . . . that will be unfortunate and big money will win at the end of the day.

16 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

The stated goal of the current administration is to not let conservation impede commerce.

We need to vote out this administration while there is still something left to conserve

That's the problem. Whether it's clean water, striped bass, etc. Commercial interests will win, period, done, end of story.

My question - when there are no more bass then water? When our waters are cesspools then what? But hey, we made a bucks at some point....

Everyone always trusts corporations to do the right thing, de-regulate they say...and then they act so surprised when rivers catch fire and entire cities lose their drinking water because someone was trying to save a few bucks. 

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Channel your hate into action.  Advocate for politicians who will aid in the enhancement of this website's stated mission; "We'll help you catch more fish."

There is zero chance making it easier to pollute the most critical striped bass spawning ground is going to increase the biomass.  

The almost certain impact of this change will be a further degradation of the Chesapeake.  

If you want more fish, advocate for politicians who align with that value.  

Oh, I do. I start letter-writing campaigns and petitions, have spoken with senators in Hartford and D.C., spoke at the ASMFC hearing in Old Lyme last night. But...it is time to include clean waters to the discussion. Pollution in the Chesapeake is a large part of the poor recruitment that contributed to the striper collapse of the 80s.

5 mins ago, baldwin said:

Oh, I do. I start letter-writing campaigns and petitions, have spoken with senators in Hartford and D.C., spoke at the ASMFC hearing in Old Lyme last night. But...it is time to include clean waters to the discussion. Pollution in the Chesapeake is a large part of the poor recruitment that contributed to the striper collapse of the 80s.

Thank you, Baldwin for your hard work on this (and other) important ecological matters.

Is the run-off pollution in the Chesapeake predominantly from chicken farms?

6 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Thank you, Baldwin for your hard work on this (and other) important ecological matters.

Is the run-off pollution in the Chesapeake predominantly from chicken farms?

Hi Jim,

There are many sources of that pollution, a large one being agricultural runoff. This can really set back decades of effort to improve it's water quality. Omega Protein's overharvest of filter-feeding Atlantic menhaden (bunker, pogies) doesn't help, either.