ljschroe

New Shimano Stradic FL impressions

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

"just glides down the shaft under its own weight" is what mine did out of the box.  Got to fish it today.  It glides almost too easily and in fact glides so delicately easy that I had to dial down the pressure I was winding with significantly in order to accurately handle the line, wind, and weight I was casting with.  I can't speak to distance yet, as it was blowing pretty good here, today.  I like it so far.  The oscillation is definitely slower as well and I had no l knots, although the spool is very slightly underspooled with line.  I usually pack my Shimanos right to the edge, but for whatever reason, I stopped just short on this one.  I put it on my 10' 6" Tiralejo surf rod, btw.

More to come, since I didn't catch anything but weeds today! 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:10 PM, Stuu said:

Got a 2500FL, it is extremely “smooth” (Stella like) , beautiful line lay and casting, feels very solid, and has that beautiful mechanical “whine” when you crank it and let go of the handle, (just like the Stella)

All that being said, I still prefer the Daiwa Ballistic 2500LT, and I have fished them back to back on the same rods with the same line. The Daiwa just feels better in your hand. It’s lighter (I know, it’s composite), with, how did Scooby put it, that  feeling of the handle disappearing in your hand (?, can’t remember his exact words, but he nailed it).

Hey man!

How's Florida treatin ya.   Your sun still out gunnin ya?

:)

13 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Hey man!

How's Florida treatin ya.   Your sun still out gunnin ya?

:)

Florida is awesome, thank you ! Been catching real good ! And I can still out catch  him with a bad back and sore shoulder. Though, he thinks he’s the greatest angler the internet has ever seen ! Come on down, light tackle paradise !

To keep this post on topic, here's a snook on the Stradoc 2500 FL.20190916_175519.jpg.0f52c048398fd96675e6ab0951a0c0bd.jpg

Edited by Stuu

On 9/24/2019 at 7:22 AM, ljschroe said:

Who got theirs? Mine is ready to go (a 5000), I should be able to get it to the water tomorrow. Tell me what you think when you get yours out!

IMG_20190924_071750.jpg

I've got one inbound ... I'll let you know. I'm not usually a first adopter-type ... but lately I am based on the reviews I see & hear about on the Youtubes. Cheers!

Just received my 5000....didn't like the small cheap looking handle knob....so replaced it with upgraded carbon fiber knob and additional bearing...

20190930_155039.jpg

20190930_155028.jpg

20190930_155432.jpg

I was able to get out a few times yesterday and today.  After about 25 schoolies and smallish bluefish, I am liking it.  Even heard the drag tink a little on one or two hooksets and on one of the bigger blues.  Good stuff so far.  I have not had one wind knot and I threw/caught on a ton of topwater.  Am now pretty impressed with the distance, even with the lighter swimshads, etc.

I have to go back to my VS150 and check against the FL, but I feel like there is a more line slap on the rod length before the first guide.

11 hours ago, ljschroe said:

I was able to get out a few times yesterday and today.  After about 25 schoolies and smallish bluefish, I am liking it.  Even heard the drag tink a little on one or two hooksets and on one of the bigger blues.  Good stuff so far.  I have not had one wind knot and I threw/caught on a ton of topwater.  Am now pretty impressed with the distance, even with the lighter swimshads, etc.

I have to go back to my VS150 and check against the FL, but I feel like there is a more line slap on the rod length before the first guide.

I have had similar experiences with my 3000FL  i bought mine from overseas before the release in the states....right about the time scooby got his.....its the std gear ratio not the high....have had some big fish on it....i do have a 3000 certate LT and this Stradic is almost just as nice...great drag as i had a few hookups in Florida with some slot reds and 28 inch Snook and the occasional sharking that gave some 100 yd runs on the drag before popping him off...fished mangrove snapper on it too and happened to land a 25lb blacktip shark on it too ...Very impressed with it and my go-to reel when the certate is not in my hands...i do think it cast better than the certate on the same rod (did comparison)....I have it on a St Croix Legend Tournament 7ft M rated 8-17lb line...i have 10lb suffix 832 on the reel.

Got it on a ugly stik 4'9" now I'm ready for the ccc 

No but really tackle warehouse sent me one with damage already on the spool. No more business from me. Also Penn 4500 for size comparison 

image.jpg

AAEF3DB9-D958-4FE8-84D2-B4B2B006A24C.jpeg

E96B9C82-37B3-45CF-8E0F-CBE0C1695988.jpeg

48 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

No but really tackle warehouse sent me one with damage already on the spool. No more business from me. Also Penn 4500 for size comparison 

You think TW opens every reel box?

59 mins ago, nateD said:

You think TW opens every reel box?

They sure opened mine. It wasn't bagged up and the handle cap was already on the left of the reel. Somebody played with it, bumped it, and put it back in the box and out it went.

They are lucky I just really want to fish it

24 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

They sure opened mine. It wasn't bagged up and the handle cap was already on the left of the reel. Somebody played with it, bumped it, and put it back in the box and out it went.

Why are they lucky? Pretty sure they can afford the shipping costs to get you a new one.

3 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

image.jpg

AAEF3DB9-D958-4FE8-84D2-B4B2B006A24C.jpeg

E96B9C82-37B3-45CF-8E0F-CBE0C1695988.jpeg

Sir....need a washer under that spool to correct that forward line lay.....

2 hours ago, dcast said:

Sir....need a washer under that spool to correct that forward line lay.....

Funny you say that, this 20# yo zuri is right between shims, it bunched up on the bottom a tad with one more shim, I pulled one and respooled, that's what I got. 

Already fished it and it feels good in the hands. Fairly solid, and light. Drag is very consistent, I was letting the schoolies and blues make runs just to hear it sing a little. Didn't catch anything to really test it, but I've seen what it can catch. Hopefully that new spheros doesn't turn out to be a better saltwater option...

16 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Off topic, but: Tackle Warehouse has incredible customer service. They will pay for shipping both ways on the return/replace. Let them correct it. They just went above and beyond for me.