ljschroe

New Shimano Stradic FL impressions

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I ordered one for a light jig rig, will be here this week. I'll update with a review here once I put it to use. Anyway, I think I should have bought the 5k too, just to have because they felt so nice fondling it at the store. Very light and smooth. However I have a couple of old FI's that seized up all the time and left a bad taste in my mouth so I have my reservations.  I just need them to be able to handle a little wee bit of salt, and they'll be good to go. If all goes well, might get the 5k for jetties etc and outfit my boat with 3 or 4 of the 4k's. *fingers crossed It'd be nice to have a reel almost like a Stella at this price point. 

I just sold my 5000 FI for really good money on fleabay.  I fished the heck out of it and it never gave me problems.  I just had it serviced at Beaver River before I sold it and Dave was impressed with its condition and smoothness.  That said, this is it's replacement.  I find it to be not as smooth yet, but it has no miles on it.  This one is definitely lighter and I want to say, a little smaller.  I compared it to the last model in a 4000 FK out of the case yesterday, and there was almost no difference in height or body, but the spool was definitely wider and obviously taller.

Mine is spooled with 242 yards of MaxCuatro 30lb.  There's 10 or 15 yards of 10lb mono backing on the all aluminum, braid unfriendly spool.

It’s actually strange, the big tackle shop sites (we all know them) didn’t seem to get any 4Ks or 5Ks for quite some time after release(5K still not so prevalent)...yet I found some really small shops online with them in stock which is how I got mine. You’d think the big buyers would get the inventory first as usual. 

12 hours ago, ljschroe said:

I just sold my 5000 FI for really good money on fleabay.  I fished the heck out of it and it never gave me problems.  I just had it serviced at Beaver River before I sold it and Dave was impressed with its condition and smoothness.  That said, this is it's replacement.  I find it to be not as smooth yet, but it has no miles on it.  This one is definitely lighter and I want to say, a little smaller.  I compared it to the last model in a 4000 FK out of the case yesterday, and there was almost no difference in height or body, but the spool was definitely wider and obviously taller.

Mine is spooled with 242 yards of MaxCuatro 30lb.  There's 10 or 15 yards of 10lb mono backing on the all aluminum, braid unfriendly spool.

I've heard it's sealed more thoroughly...perhaps that could account for the slightly less smooth feel (???)

12 hours ago, ljschroe said:

There's 10 or 15 yards of 10lb mono backing on the all aluminum, braid unfriendly spool.

No need for mono backing. Just tie line on directly to spool with standard arbor knot, tape down with a small strip of clear packing tape, crank line on, done. Shimano actually supplies this tape on the higher end reels.... FWIW

image.jpg

I bought a 2500 HG (would've preferred the PG), opposed to other than being just smooth and well fitting it's sort of well 'meh' not that exciting to me now... 

I'm fishing solely with it at the moment to just bed it in after a full strip and rebuild (to do comparison on IG), but there is nothing, repeat absolutely nothing valued more over say the FA, FH, F, FJ or even FK Stradic's that I own and fish with. 

I can't seem to find much of a huge increase of anything worthwhile (especially if I was to pay full price) to make me hand over my hard earned dollars on it compared to previous models honestly saying. 

Other than parts number increasing towards Stella SW territory... A very fiddly reel to service IMHO for its price range. 

On 9/25/2019 at 2:22 AM, Slazmo said:

I bought a 2500 HG (would've preferred the PG), opposed to other than being just smooth and well fitting it's sort of well 'meh' not that exciting to me now... 

I'm fishing solely with it at the moment to just bed it in after a full strip and rebuild (to do comparison on IG), but there is nothing, repeat absolutely nothing valued more over say the FA, FH, F, FJ or even FK Stradic's that I own and fish with. 

I can't seem to find much of a huge increase of anything worthwhile (especially if I was to pay full price) to make me hand over my hard earned dollars on it compared to previous models honestly saying. 

Other than parts number increasing towards Stella SW territory... A very fiddly reel to service IMHO for its price range. 

Hey brotha!

Good to see ya here.

A few months ago you sent me an IG vid of that raspy stradic FL.  Is that the one you're using?

Got a 2500FL, it is extremely “smooth” (Stella like) , beautiful line lay and casting, feels very solid, and has that beautiful mechanical “whine” when you crank it and let go of the handle, (just like the Stella)

All that being said, I still prefer the Daiwa Ballistic 2500LT, and I have fished them back to back on the same rods with the same line. The Daiwa just feels better in your hand. It’s lighter (I know, it’s composite), with, how did Scooby put it, that  feeling of the handle disappearing in your hand (?, can’t remember his exact words, but he nailed it).

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Hey brotha!

Good to see ya here.

A few months ago you sent me an IG vid of that raspy stradic FL.  Is that the one you're using?

Yeh I was wondering where you disappeared off to to so I thought I'd haunt you on here. I can't direct message you on here due to new account limitations either I assume - opened the account solely for that really. 

This one I got 4,000 kms away on the other side of the country, just an online sale, BNWB or papers for a pretty price... 

This one here too is raspy when you over free spin it, just the nature of the gears and train movement, a totally unnatural thing to do to a reel also - I mean really it's not something you do normally while fishing is it?

Generally it's been good to use but I am not looking forward to re-servicing this thing anytime soon. 

23 mins ago, Slazmo said:

Yeh I was wondering where you disappeared off to to so I thought I'd haunt you on here. I can't direct message you on here due to new account limitations either I assume - opened the account solely for that really. 

This one I got 4,000 kms away on the other side of the country, just an online sale, BNWB or papers for a pretty price... 

This one here too is raspy when you over free spin it, just the nature of the gears and train movement, a totally unnatural thing to do to a reel also - I mean really it's not something you do normally while fishing is it?

Generally it's been good to use but I am not looking forward to re-servicing this thing anytime soon. 

:)

LOL

I took a social media break

Quit all forms of nicotine early in the month and the only way to do it was to ignore every aspect of it.

In all honesty though...I check my PM's here 100x more frequently than IG.....I get a bunch here..but IG is a flood and everything gets buried....

(there's a 7day 15 post requirement here if not mistaken)

So to be clear...you have a pair of raspy stradics?  Hmmmmmm....the one'sI have and I've handled purrrrrr...no hissss.

(I free spin in slack some times on long casts in rivers...I also upgraded to double paddle handles for the balance and ease of freespin)

I liken them more to the stellas than the sustain or ultegra....

((((((at the same time.....In reality....how different are the stella exsence level reels than stradics ))))))  

So what was the worst part of the reel to contend with...I found it was alllll clutch....getting it on and off was a pain......everything else seemed fine....about 10 min reassembly from full strip excluding the clutch...lots of nice touches and details that make it stand out in the 200$ to 400$ range...

Well that's fair enough. I found some interesting things in it and sent you pictures and what not to your IG, as posting up here looks a bit of a stretch again. 

Raspy in free wind out of normal use, but in normal wind use its fine and smooth... 

For me to contend with is a few areas, one being so many O rings and you remember the side plate of the Bantam MGL, just a personal peeve, they will squash and wear out in time if not swell if they're reactive to out of spec oils and greases from Shimano.

The spool shaft nut bushing that's seated into the rotor jesus nut itself via O Ring again. This bushing that seats on the Tuffram coated aluminium shaft itself unpolished - I got out the paste and Dremel and used a cotton tip to polish the inner wearing surface to a mirror -  feels quiet nice now, just glides down the shaft under its own weight. 

The rotor was another change, the big concealed & heavy counterbalanced weight in there was a "WTF" - seriously why? I know its to balance the rotor but its counter productive IMHO to the reel itself overall with weight... 

Now onto the body plastics... Shimano won't disclose what it's made from, so it's not XT7G or Ci4 / Ci4+...  So is it a form of Magnumlite? As the gear box half on the Stradic FL is only 2gr heavier than a Stradic FA Ci4+ body gearbox half? Body and rotor only stamped as 'PA'...

There are a few other interesting things I've pointed out, but when your ready check out the pics on IG I took they're there no pressure.

A few questions remain. 

Edited by Slazmo