Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keifer

Salmon Ny state

6 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Keifer said:

When’s the best time to fish salmon in ny state 

Hehe,,,,,,job trails had me up there sep to dec,,,,ever bait and tackle store told me I just missed them,,,,,,:eek: 

Was there yesterday.  Was slow, but folks who know where and how to fish were catching.

Never a bad time up there in my book.  I enjoy steelhead more though.   Less crowds, the fish actually bite too.

Saw one kids pounding brown trout yesterday.

Maybe saw a fish jump / online every 15 minutes or so.  A few flew by my feet.  Had 2 or 3 line taps.  Altmar  / ellis cove area 7am-1pm.  Pulaski downtown by parking / nice stone walkway I was there maybe 20 minutes fishing from side w/o waders.  Seemed slower there.  

Coho were very crowded in the fish ladder  and green creek fence / rake at the hatchery.  99% coho in that ladder.   That is well worth the trip alone....

Guessing 1 in 10 came home with something.

Edited by salt deficient

mid sept to mid October for salmon.  Theyre on a mission to breed.  Bright weather look for shade, like under bridges, near logs.

Steelhead and brown trout nov-march.  Like any fish, stable weather or dropping barometer.

Despite the fish, sept and October just for all the nutty-ness with half in the bag fisherman do...….  It's amazing to see every store fish a fishing section.  They have a tavern-baitshop in Pulaski...……..

Really hate to spot burn myself, but Niagara falls area can be good too.  If you need to mix a fish trip with a "honey we don't do anything" weekend......

Edited by salt deficient

For salmon I wouldn't worry about spot burning on the Salmon, this weekend every spot will be taken. The Niagara is no secret but it is definetly (spell) a different kinda fishing. The cohos blew up the river this year, had a few on and some good fights none landed. It seemed like two days with cohos but I didn't fish every day so I might have missed out on some. Still waiting for the big push of kings, lower river quiet today, some taken with some steelhead in the mix. An aquaintence told me the estuary was full of fish wed at 6 pm. I was there at 4 pm and saw nothing, go figure.